U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 06:45 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,750,847 times

Advertisements

My first attempt was a flop and I threw it out I don't think it was the recipe, most likely I used the wrong kind of pan because the top was burned and the inside was uncooked I baked it in a "loaf" sized pan at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Like I said, the interior of the carrot cake was uncooked.

I admit I'm not an experienced baker and my Black & Decker Electronic Convection oven is brand new; this was my 2nd time using it.

Funny thing about carrot cake recipes..... I searched them on the internet and must have looked at 20 or more, and they are all different, with different amounts of flour, carrots, etc.

So, I haven't given up on making another carrot cake but need some TIPS for making it perfect ! Thanks for any advice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 08:13 PM

2,065 posts, read 4,410,718 times
Coney, kudos for trying!!

For the inexperienced cook, like I once was, everything is a bit complicated; for the experienced cook, like I am now, there is always something new to learn, and an occasional blooper too... cooking is an everlasting ongoing process.

I am going to look for a nice carrot cake recipe, but right off the bat, 2 simple tips: please make sure you check your baking powder and baking soda (if you are using it): expiration date, amount proportional to batter; and the size of the pan (too big, cake will be flat, too small, cake will either overflow or cook unevenly).

And welcome to the "1000 different recipes for the same dish" world!!
All the more opportunities for you to try and see which you prefer, or add your own version and make it 1001 recipes!!

Old 06-20-2010, 08:18 PM

23,417 posts, read 33,496,367 times
Sweetheart, does your oven manual tell you that you have to reduce the temperature for regular recipes to do them correctly in a convection oven?
I suspect that may be part of your problem, besides the wrong pan.
Google up convection oven temperature conversions, this will help! Keep on trying!

Old 06-20-2010, 08:37 PM

12,054 posts, read 21,250,557 times
New ovens many times need to be "broken in." I agree that you need to check the expiration dates, but sometimes it just doesn't work out. Years ago, I was baking an apple spice cake for a co-worker. When I took it out of the oven, it also was not done. I just stirred it up and put it back in the oven. It still tasted great. Keep trying!

Old 06-21-2010, 03:15 AM

4,023 posts, read 4,945,681 times
Why would you bake a carrot cake in a loaf pan? Do you mean a pan that is normally used for nut bread? Did the recipe suggest putting it in a loaf pan? That sounds very strange to me, so maybe that's the problem.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:18 AM

507 posts, read 2,108,801 times
First tip is to bake it in 2 layer cake pans. Also, make sure that you preheat the oven before baking. Here's my recipe that is prettydarn good and gets rave reviews everytime that I make it

LISA'S CARROT CAKE

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsps. baking soda
2 tsps. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
2 tsps. ginger
2 tsps. vanilla extract
3 eggs
2 cups grated carrots, {chopped fine in processor}
1 1/2 cups crushed pineapple {drained well}
1 1/2 cup chopped English walnuts
1/2 cup Sunny-D or orange juice

Mix dry ingredients in large bowl. Add vanilla, eggs, carrots, juice. Beat with mixer. Stir in pineapple and nuts. Bake in 2 9'-inch greased & floured cake pans at 350 for 25-30 minutes. Frost with cream cheese icing.

Cream Cheese Icing

1 8-oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup margarine
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3-4 cups powdered sugar
Tbsp. of milk until desired consistency

Mix together until creamy. Frost cake and store in refrigerator.

* May omit nuts from cake batter and place on top and sides of icing. {thats what I do.}

Old 06-21-2010, 12:40 PM

507 posts, read 2,108,801 times
here it is.....

Old 06-21-2010, 05:04 PM

1,754 posts, read 3,870,335 times
Sounds like both the pan and the oven were to blame. Convection ovens always call for a reduced cooking time, due to the superhot air that swirls around the food, cooking it much faster than a conventional oven. Secondly, i've never heard of a cake that's baked in a loaf pan. Cake batter is thinner than bread dough/batter and bakes better in a pan that is more proportionate.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:10 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,750,847 times
Default Thanks to all who have answered !!

THANKS so much for all the responses so far !! Now I'm very sure that my problem was the wrong pan

Even though I'm a senior citizen, I have very little experience in baking ~ until now. I don't blame my new convection oven because I wasn't using that mode, I was using the BAKE mode, so that wasn't the reason for my failure. But, today I made some oat-bran muffins and they came out perfect !!

Thanks again for the recipe and tips ~ I will continue to learn how to bake because it allows me to use high quality ingredients without dairy.

I need to learn all the tips & tricks of baking so I don't waste any more ingredients

Tnhoneypot........ thank you for taking the time to post your recipe and photo ~ I'll try it next time I do a carrot cake and I'll make sure to use the correct size pans LOL !

Old 06-21-2010, 06:37 PM

6,613 posts, read 11,860,304 times
Baking as opposed to 'cooking' requires that all the ingredients and procedures be correct in order for a good result, even down to the choice of baking pan.

General cooking you can usually get away with imprecise measures etc, not so with baking.

Good luck - the end results will be way worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes