Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 07:16 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times

Advertisements

I like to make something special at least once on the weekends but we are in a rut.
I have a waffle maker and the kids like those alot.
others include
pancakes usually with chocolate chips or fruit
cheese grits casserole
french toast made with thick french toast and left over night in the fridge
standard sausage egg cheese casserole
omelets

DH does not like very spicy food and won't eat green peppers.

any suggestions? Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 07:47 AM

140 posts, read 126,867 times
Breakfast tacos.

flour and corn totilla soft tortilla filled with potatoes[homefries] and egg, bacon and egg, ham and egg, refried beans and cheddar cheese.

let the kids mix and match.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:53 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,091,772 times
I'm always looking for new and exciting breakfast/brunch foods.
Here's a couple of my "sweet type" favorites and one savory:

Cinnamon Roll Breakfast Treat

2 cans flaky cinnamon rolls (I usually use Pillsbury)

1/2 cup margarine, melted
1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup half & half (I have used evaporated milk before)

3 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
Icing from cinnamon rolls
Powdered sugar, if desired

Use a microwave large bowl, heat just until margarine is melted, then add sugar. Beat in eggs, half & half, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla.

Open canned cinnamon rolls and slice each cinnamon roll into eighths. Place the roll pieces into the bowl of egg/cinnamon mixture and toss to coat. Pour the pieces, coated in egg mixture, into a greased 9x13 dish and spread out evenly. Use remaining to cover areas which look like they didn't cover well. Sprinkle with pecans and bake at 350 F for 35 to 40 minutes.

Use the microwave to warm the canned roll icing....no more than 10 - 15 secons, then pour icing over the entire roll casserole. If desired use some confectioner sugar over the top too.

Grandma's Coffee Cake

1 yellow cake mix
1 small package vanilla pudding
1/2 cup oil (note I use 1/4 cup cinnamon applesauce plus 1/4 cup oil to reduce fat)
4 eggs slightly beaten
1 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla

topping:
2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Spray a bundt pan with cooking spray. Mix the cake mix, oil, eggs, water and vanilla. Mix the topping in a small bowl. Put about three tablespoons of the topping in the bottom of the bundt pan, then pour in only 1/2 the cake mix batter. Sprinkle with 1/2 the remaining topping and then pour inthe rest of the cake batter and sprinkle the top with the remaining topping mix. Run a knife through the batter a couple of times before baking. Bake at 375 F for 30 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Enjoy!

Breakfast Squares With Ham
1 tube (8 oz.) refrigerated crescent rolls
2 cups chopped ham (can use different meat if desired but I like ham the best)

2 cups frozen hash brown potatoes which are thawed
5 eggs
1/2 cup milk
salt and pepper (just a pinch will do)

1.5 cups shredded Co-Jack or Sharp Cheddar Cheese

Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish and arrange the unrolled crescent rolls on the bottom of the pan, pressing together the seams. Bake the rolls for about 5 minutes at 375 degrees and remove from the oven. Then top the rolls with ham and the potatoes. Beat together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper in a bowl and pour over the potatoes and ham then top with the cheese. Bake in preheated 375°F oven for about 30 minutes or until eggs are set.

Enjoy!

Old 05-07-2014, 08:14 AM

126,283 posts, read 19,057,756 times
Kudzu this is a recipe my mother used to make always 'Farmers Breakfast' and I mentioned in some of my previous posts here.

Hearty German Farmers Breakfast Bauernfruhstuck) Recipe - Food.com - 120363

It is delicious,I usually omit the bacon,but if you like it ,it definitely tastes even better

Another one I make for breakfast is thin pancakes,smear them with marmalade,roll them up and sprinkle them with powder sugar,or I make a pancake cake,several layers with a filling of your choice and sprinkle all sides at the end with powder sugar.

Sometimes I serve brunch like buffet with eggs of their choice,cold cuts/cheese/fruit on a pretty platter,jam,peanut butter,jams,honey,orange juice,assortment of breads/buns..just like a continental breakfast.

Rare occasion I make' Potato pancake' with apple sauce

Kartoffelpuffer Potato Pancakes) Recipe - Food.com - 186980

OR I bake scones and serve warm with marmalade

ANOTHER favorite is Fluffy Cream of Wheat with plum,cherry or blueberry compote

Good luck

Old 05-07-2014, 08:30 AM

Thanks all. I definitely will try these. And dearest Alm...of course you would come up with some fun recipes. i LOVE any potato recipes and for breakfast is even better.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:35 AM

2,319 posts, read 3,052,526 times
One thing that is fun for kids (and adults) is to make crustless quiches in muffin tins. You can also freeze the leftovers and have a quick to go breakfast that you can microwave to heat.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:05 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,040,976 times
1. 24-hour omelet: //www.city-data.com/forum/recip...ur-omelet.html

2. Nutella crepes: The Best Nutella Crepe | The Yellow Table

Old 05-07-2014, 10:15 AM

Hi Dawn- haven't seen you around lately. Hope things are going OK for you. Thanks for the links.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:23 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,040,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Hi Dawn- haven't seen you around lately. Hope things are going OK for you. Thanks for the links.
All good here, NK-B. I've been busy but not too busy to supply with you with breakfast yummies. I remember the first time I had the 24-hour omelet (my cousin had made it), I thought it was delicious. The next time I had it, it was after I had made it and it wasn't quite as good. Maybe because I never like anything that I make as much as if it's made for me or it could be because it was the most expensive omelet I had ever had -- all that cheese! So I'd vote for Nutella crepes.

Love to you and your family. xxo

Old 05-07-2014, 12:35 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,438,930 times
Breakfast Pizza - savory or sweet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes