Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2010, 09:51 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,243,510 times

Advertisements

I am in search of a pasta sauce recipe using fresh tomatoes (thank yew, garden- lol) that I can freeze. Seems like every recipe I find uses canned tomatoes and i'd prefer to not have to manipulate a recipe- i'd rather have a tried and true from YOUR kitchen recipe to try.

Anyone have a recipe to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 10:06 AM

1,034 posts, read 4,388,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
I am in search of a pasta sauce recipe using fresh tomatoes (thank yew, garden- lol) that I can freeze. Seems like every recipe I find uses canned tomatoes and i'd prefer to not have to manipulate a recipe- i'd rather have a tried and true from YOUR kitchen recipe to try.

Anyone have a recipe to share?
I had an abundance of tomatoes and basil to use and I found a very simple recipe in my old Betty Crocker cookbook. Just wash the tomates and de-stem them. Toss them in a blender with olive oil, salt pepper, and I added fresh basil. I also added a tiny bit of sugar because my tomatoes were a little bitter. I blended them all up and refrigerated half and froze half. I had about 10 small tomatoes to use up. I had to taste the sauce several times and adjust seasonings to taste. It is still a very light sauce, and I have used it on pasta shells and also used a little with my ground beef for tacos.

Old 07-04-2010, 03:26 PM

122 posts, read 196,938 times
Smile My gravy

The most important thing I could say is remove the skin an make sure you squeeze out all the juice an remove all seeds. If not you end up with a very watery product without longgggggggggggggg cooking to get it out. Here is my Gravy recipe

2 tbs spoons finely chopped garlic
1 small onion finely chopped
1 red bell chopped
1 green bell chopped
1 8oz cont. bellas chopped
20 to 25 med to large tomatoes DE seeded an skinned
1 tbs spoon tomato paste
1 cup chicken stock or so
1 lb ground beef 97 % lean
1 lb hot Italian sausage
Fresh basil, salt , pepper, rosemary, oregano
, <-- all these are to taste
As I rarely measure when I make this. Had to guesstimate on the above but I would start out at a teaspoon of each an work from there. Remember the longer it sits the better it is.

I personally like to use olive oil to saute all the veggies add the garlic at the end,Just till softened. Then add the gr. meat then sausage drain the fat add the tom. paste. let it cook for a minute or 2 Then I throw everything at this point into the crock pot for 5 hrs. an let it go till it tastes like grandmas

Hope you all enjoy

Old 07-08-2010, 04:04 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,939,474 times
These are a couple of my fave fresh tomato sauces, mangia!

Don Pomodoro Sauce: The Splendid Table Recipe Box

Linguine with Puttanesca Sauce Recipe at Epicurious.com

Old 07-08-2010, 04:13 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,809,614 times
Rose, I can think of several recipes, are you looking for a more "neutral" marinara or something with a stronger, more pronounced flavor like arrabiata or puttanesca?

They are all very good!!

One of my favorite sauces is made with Italian sausage; I would prefer it instead of making a bolognese sauce with ground beef, as I think it imparts a great flavor to the sauce.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:54 PM

5,503 posts, read 6,238,002 times
Rose, I just did this today, rinse your tomatoes off and make an X on both sides (top and bottom) of the tomatoes, drop them covered in boiling water, steam for 3 mins., take them out with a slotted spoon in a bowl with ice and water <the skins comes right off>. Put them in a food processor and blend with fresh basil, onion and garlic, add seasonings to taste, if you want the marinara sauce a little thicker add a little tomato paste. Simmer for an hour.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:09 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,243,510 times
Thanks, Guys. They all sound like something I should try :0)
Miaiam- either one. The kids are pretty adventurous and what they don't like can be reserved for other dinners.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:14 PM

705 posts, read 1,658,877 times
Put some good olive oil in a pan, on low flame infuse the oil with garlic slivers, turn heat up, at tomatos with juice and all, toss in basil and your done. Let it cook for a few minutes season it with salt and add in your garlic. Capers,chili or a dash of white wine is optional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes