Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 09:32 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I am considering taking my son down the way to a U Pick apple orchard. It is almost cheaper to pick a peck or even half a peck. I have one awsome apple pie recipe---that doesn't even require me to make dough (Yay, me!). Does anyone have any awsome TRIED and true apple recipes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 04:22 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,190,090 times
I don't have any tried and true recipes written down, but just wanted to recommend a few simple things that I enjoy.

Baked apples: Core apples and peel the top of the fruits, leaving the skin on the sides and bottom. There will be a hole through the apple after it is cored. Place apples in a baking dish top side up. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon and bake in the oven until the apples soften. By then there will be juice in the pan mixed with the spices which makes a sweet sauce. Serve warm.

Apple sauce: Yes I know this seems too simple but homemade is glorious and is in no way like any of the commercial stuff. You can make it chunky or smooth. Peel and seed apples and cut into chunks. Heat in a pot with sugar and cinnamon until the apples cook down into your desired texture.

One that I haven't made but soon to try is Apple Pandowdy or Apple Cobbler. I remember this from when I was a kid. It is basically sliced, spiced baked apples topped with a pastry crust. My Mom made it by baking the apples first in a baking dish and when they are done, topping them with a Bisquik crust and return to the oven until the crust is done.

You should be able to find plenty of recipes for these to choose from. I remember splitting a bushel of apples with a friend every year after we went camping in western Maryland. There is a huge apple packing facility and store in Hancock MD where we would stop on the way home. I need to get out there again

Old 09-11-2010, 12:59 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times
Thanks.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:15 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Here's a great one...
APPLE WRAPS

2 pkgs crescent rolls
2 Granny Smith apples
1 12 oz can Mountain Dew
1 1/4 cup sugar
1/2 stick butter or margerine, melted
1 t. cinnamon

Mix together the sugar, butter and cinnamon-set aside
Peel, core and cut each apple into 8 wedges
Roll 1 apple wedge into each crescent roll and line up in 2 rows in a 13x9 pan
Sprinkle sugar mixture over
Pour over the Mountain Dew

Bake 50 mins in a 350 degree oven. Serve warm- with ice cream if you want.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:48 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,280,633 times
Apple Wraps recipe sounds so simple and good. I'll have to try it.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:03 AM

507 posts, read 2,297,348 times
I make this often in the Fall. My mom took 1st place when she entered this cake in our local Apple Festival contest. Its so good!

APPLE DAPPLE CAKE

2 c. sugar
3 eggs
1 1/3 c. cooking oil
3 c. plain flour
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt
2 tsps. cinnamon
3 c. tart apples, chopped in bite-size pieces
1 c. nuts

Mix ingredients thoroughly, folding in apples and nuts last. Turn into greased and floured pan (9 x 13 inches). Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. While still warm, poke holes all over with tines of fork and pour hot glaze all over and let seep into holes.

APPLE DAPPLE CAKE GLAZE:

1/2 stick real butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. light brown sugar
2 tbsp. milk

Combine all ingredients into a pot. Boil for 1 minute. Spread on hot cake.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:25 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,944,713 times
I have a few because when I go to pick apples, I always seem to come back with more than I anticipated! Guess I have too much fun!

Apple Dumplings | The Pioneer Woman Cooks | Ree Drummond

I would advise adding only 1/2 a can of whatever soda you choose. It was overkill to me with one entire can...

Apple Cake in an Iron Skillet | The Pioneer Woman Cooks | Ree Drummond

I used Arkansas Black Apples instead of the Green ones and it turned out so yummy!

This is my favorite of all the recipes I tried last year:
Caramel Apple Sticky Buns | The Pioneer Woman Cooks | Ree Drummond

I also modified her cinnamon roll recipe by rolling bits of apple chunks and omitting the maple flavoring from the icing and handed those out to neighbors when they came to trick-or-treat. They loved them and since her recipe yields so much, I got to give quite a few away.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:07 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times
My family loves Buttered Glazed Apples and they are so easy.

Melt 2 Tablespoons of butter in a large skillet. Add 1 qt cored and sliced apples (peeled or not, personal preference), Sprinkle with 1/2 cup brown sugar and a teaspoon of cinnamon. Cover and cook over low for 10 minutes. The remove lid and cook over medium heat. Stir frequently until the apples are tender and beginning to get transparent.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:58 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Default recipes using apples

Apple turnovers (easy)

4 Pillsbury pies crusts
5 apples peeled, cored and diced
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
pinch of salt
1 tsp. lemon juice.
2 Tbsp. flour
1/3 cup sugar.
1 egg white and 1 Tbsp. water beaten.

Mix all ingredient's together and let stand for 5 minutes. Meanwhile take out both crusts and lay them flat on a cutting board or on your counter top. If you have a round cookie cutter use that to make circles otherwise use the bottom of a drinking glass that's floured. Press into dough to make circles. fill each circle with about 2 Tbsps. apple mixture. Brush edges with egg whites Place another circle on top and crimp edges with a fork. Bake on 350 for about 30 minutes or until golden brown. Let turnovers cool for 10 minutes then drizzle glaze over them.

For the glaze:

1/3 cup softened butter
2 cups powders sugar
4 Tbsp. water
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix using an electric mixer. Glaze shout be runny.

Not sure how many these will make exactly because I actually just invented this recipe today LOL.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:19 AM

802 posts, read 642,911 times
We have gallons of chopped apples in the freezer this year. Discovered this recipe a few weeks ago. Husband can't stop talking about it. I've made it three times so far. Tried with apples and pears, both got rave reviews.

Potluck German Apple Cake

Ingredients

3 large eggs
2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups chopped peeled tart apples
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans (I've used walnuts, too)

FROSTING:

1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
2 teaspoons butter, softened
2 cups confectioners' sugar

Directions

1. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; add to egg mixture and mix well. Fold in apples and nuts. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350̊ for 55-60 minutes (check at 45 minutes) or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
2. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter. Add confectioners' sugar, beating until smooth. Spread over cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes