Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 04:23 PM

507 posts, read 2,296,850 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine gave me this recipe. He lives very close to Cincinatti. I made this yesterday and we ate it tonight for dinner. It was fantastic!

The inventor's Greek roots can clearly be seen in the unique blend of spices. The secrets to this recipe are the long slow cooking, as well as the overnight refrigeration, which allow for all the excess fat to be removed. I've also included the five "ways" for ordering this wonderfully different chili, which is usually served over spaghetti.

Cincinatti Chili

1 quart cold water
2 lbs ground beef
2 cups crushed tomato
2 yellow onions, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
1/4 cup chili powder
1 tsp cayenne
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tbsp cider vinegar
1 whole bay leaf
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp salt
cooked spaghetti to serve chili over, optional
Preparation:

Add beef and water to a 4-quart pot. Bring to a simmer while stirring until the ground beef is in very small pieces. Simmer for 30 minutes and add all the rest of the ingredients.

Simmer on low, uncovered, for 3 hours. Add water as needed if the chili becomes to thick.

Refrigerated the chili overnight, and the next day remove the layer of fat from top before reheating and serving.
The Cincinnati "Skyline" Chili Ordering Code

1-way: just the chili

2-way: chili served over spaghetti

3-way: chili, spaghetti, and grated Cheddar cheese

4-way: chili, spaghetti, cheese, and onions

5-way: chili, spaghetti, cheese, onions, and beans

All "ways" are served with oyster crackers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 07:20 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,700,776 times
Very good recipe. Do you have a ground beef fat % recommendation? IMO, if boiling 85% lean should work. I'd personally add a couple of teaspoons of dark brown sugar to balance the unsweetened cocoa, cinnamon and vinegar, but it's not my recipe

Old 09-16-2010, 07:46 PM

507 posts, read 2,296,850 times
I just used 2 lbs of ground chuck for this, and to be honest, I don't think it really needs any brown sugar to this, it might ruin the flavor that is intended, although I admit that I usually add a lot of brown sugar to my regular chili recipes, spaghetti sauces, etc. This is almost like a Coney hot dog sauce to me, and it was a perfect combination of spices that all meld together after refrigerating overnight.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:06 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Looks delicious! I'll try it as soon as I run out of the case of Skyline cans I bought last weekend.

If you ever see a recipe for Cincinnati chili that instructs you to brown the ground beef, it is not authentic. The texture just won't be right unless you boil the beef in water.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:47 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Looks delicious! I'll try it as soon as I run out of the case of Skyline cans I bought last weekend.

If you ever see a recipe for Cincinnati chili that instructs you to brown the ground beef, it is not authentic. The texture just won't be right unless you boil the beef in water.
I used to be able to get Skyline down here, cant get it anymore.
I became addicted to the stuff when I lived in Louisville, will have to give this recipe a try.

Old 09-26-2010, 03:54 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
SO's grandpa lives in Cincy; we always go to Skyline when we visit. He sends us seasoning packets upon request, too, so we can make it at home. SO's Cincinnati Chili is wonderful. I agree, the ground beef must be boiled, not browned. So weird, but so good.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:55 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
SO's grandpa lives in Cincy; we always go to Skyline when we visit. He sends us seasoning packets upon request, too, so we can make it at home. SO's Cincinnati Chili is wonderful. I agree, the ground beef must be boiled, not browned. So weird, but so good.
I heard something to the effect that Skyline packets are no longer available. But, I like Gold Star (Skyline's direct competitor) better anyway. Here is a link to Gold Star:

Gold Star Chili | Online Ordering (http://www.goldstarchili.com/buy-gold-star/online-ordering/index.php - broken link)

Old 09-29-2010, 07:55 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
We're Skyline diehards, but I think the seasoning packets we get are just Kroger. Good, though.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:09 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,470,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
We're Skyline diehards, but I think the seasoning packets we get are just Kroger. Good, though.
I like the canned stuff too and that is available on Amazon, etc.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:17 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnhoneypot View Post
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
Empress Chili (another competitor that went under decades ago) used baker's semi-sweet chocolate.

Neither Skyline nor Gold Star use any form of chocolate.

An experience cook should be able to put certain Mediterranean based spices together in proportions that would simulate a chocolate flavor (although chocolate isn't used).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes