Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 06:14 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Throw in a bit of brandy, white wine, or sherry, and you have heaven in a bowl!
So true! I love the idea of a little bacon fat added.

You can't go wrong with the Emeril recipe - kshe9girl - glad you like Emeril's recipe. I find most of his recipes are wonderful - sometimes a bit more complicated and ingredient happy that I would like them to be - but always delicious.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:36 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,070,563 times
OK...now I'm going to have to try ALL of them....

Old 09-30-2010, 06:47 AM

507 posts, read 2,297,348 times
here is Rachael Ray's recipe. Sounds great!
Cream of Mushroom Soup
Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into 4 pieces
  • 1 1/2 pounds assorted mushrooms, chopped
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 bunch scallions, sliced
  • One 4-ounce baking potato
  • 3 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 1/4 cups 2 percent milk
  • 1/4 cup plain nonfat greek yogurt
Psst…there’s no cream. We use 2 percent milk instead.

Pureed potato adds a velvety texture.

Vegetable broth means this meal’s completely vegetarian.

Directions:
  1. In a large saucepan, melt 1 piece butter over medium-high heat. Add one-third of the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a bowl. Repeat in 2 batches with 2 more pieces butter and the remaining mushrooms.
  2. Add the remaining 1 piece butter, the onion and all but 2 tablespoons of the scallions to the pot and cook, stirring, until golden-brown and tender, about 7 minutes. Meanwhile, thinly slice the potato. Return the mushrooms to the pot, add the potato, vegetable broth and 1 cup water and cook for 10 minutes.
  3. Using a blender, puree the soup and transfer to a saucepan. Stir in the milk and 1/2 cup water and season with salt. Heat through over medium heat. To serve, top with the yogurt and reserved scallions.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:45 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
I love Rachel's recipes - they always seem to work and they are easy and good - that is an interesting recipe - thanks for posting.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:07 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnhoneypot View Post
here is Rachael Ray's recipe. Sounds great!
Cream of Mushroom Soup
Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into 4 pieces
  • 1 1/2 pounds assorted mushrooms, chopped
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 bunch scallions, sliced
  • One 4-ounce baking potato
  • 3 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 1/4 cups 2 percent milk
  • 1/4 cup plain nonfat greek yogurt
Psst…there’s no cream. We use 2 percent milk instead.

Pureed potato adds a velvety texture.

Vegetable broth means this meal’s completely vegetarian.

Directions:
  1. In a large saucepan, melt 1 piece butter over medium-high heat. Add one-third of the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a bowl. Repeat in 2 batches with 2 more pieces butter and the remaining mushrooms.
  2. Add the remaining 1 piece butter, the onion and all but 2 tablespoons of the scallions to the pot and cook, stirring, until golden-brown and tender, about 7 minutes. Meanwhile, thinly slice the potato. Return the mushrooms to the pot, add the potato, vegetable broth and 1 cup water and cook for 10 minutes.
  3. Using a blender, puree the soup and transfer to a saucepan. Stir in the milk and 1/2 cup water and season with salt. Heat through over medium heat. To serve, top with the yogurt and reserved scallions.

This is the best?

Shall we assume that in order to reduce the fat calories of this recipe but still make it look like a cream soup, the author has a potato and nonfat greek yogurt pureed together? It certainly can't be that a potato and the yogurt tastes better than the roux and the heavy cream than every normal recipe for mushroom soup should contain, right?

Is this low fat?

If I am not on a low fat diet, why would I want to try this recipe?

Old 09-30-2010, 06:38 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,835,134 times
I say different strokes for different folks, what's best to you may not be best to me.

The more recipes that are posted, the more valuable this forum is as a resource.

The more the merrier.

Courtney

Old 09-30-2010, 07:06 PM

I honestly don't get the hate among foodies toward Rachael Ray...everything I have made by her has been totally delicious.

So I appreciate the submission of that recipe; however, I have to say in this case the cream and brandy and bacon grease sound yummier than the potato and greek yogurt.

But then again, that's why I need to lose 15 pounds.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:12 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
I like Rachael Ray. I just know from 50 years of cooking that a fat free yogurt and potato substitution to make a cream soup will be just horrible. Why anyone would consider this is beyond me. The mushroom soup doesn't need to be a cream soup and it will still be delicious. Leave out the cream and the roux and double or triple the shallots and it will be a great meal. If its the vege issue, then why the butter and the yogurt? Even so, a good vegetable soup could be substituted. But yogurt and potato so it looks like a cream soup? Yuck!

I need to lose 15 pounds too.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:18 PM

Speaking of recipe snobbery and diets and mushrooms and cream sauce....

I have a recipe from an old Suzanne Somers book (!) that is for a mushroom cream sauce. I modified it by throwing in a handful or two of shredded parmesan/asiago. (Supposed to be a low carb thing). I serve it over perfectly done tenderloin filets.

It is honest to Gosh the best thing I have ever eaten--but so fattening I only make it on DH's birthday and Christmas.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:21 PM

And one more thing about cream sauces....and Rachel Ray....

She has one for pecan crusted chicken with a gorgonzola cream sauce.....

OMG!! Heaven in your mouth.

Can you tell I am a total sucker for anything with a cream sauce?

Again, there's that 15 pounds...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes