Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2010, 08:09 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,932,148 times

Advertisements

I stumbled upon a blog about making homemade yogurt. I thought this was interesting as I make bread, tried sauerkraut and kimchi. The process is simple but takes time. If you make your own, please tell me the method you use as I just started.

The first batch I did totally in the slow cooker but found this to be a hassle. The second batch was easier for me and that was heat milk in microwave, cool down to 110deg, add culture and then I kept it warm (110deg) in a water bath in the slow cooker for 6 hrs then into the fridge. There are other methods from heating on the stove, incubating in the oven, thermos or large cooler with a heating pad. If you're into Yogurt making, share your thoughts, this could be a good thread to share your thoughts as there is quite a bit on the INTERNET about this.

Also please share how you enjoy using your homemade yogurt, eating as is or with a favorite topping, cooking with it etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 10:14 PM

3,603 posts, read 9,015,315 times
I make yogurt every week. I bought a yogurt maker from Drugstore.com for about $38, so it's easy to keep it at the correct temperature for about 6 hours. My recipe is: 5 cups of organic 2% milk, 1 cup of plain organic yogurt, stevia or honey to taste. Heat milk to 185 degrees, cool it to 110 then add the yogurt and sweetener, pour into glass container and "cook" for about 6 hours. Lately I've been straining it through cheesecloth and making thick greek yogurt.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
I make yogurt every week. I bought a yogurt maker from Drugstore.com for about $38, so it's easy to keep it at the correct temperature for about 6 hours. My recipe is: 5 cups of organic 2% milk, 1 cup of plain organic yogurt, stevia or honey to taste. Heat milk to 185 degrees, cool it to 110 then add the yogurt and sweetener, pour into glass container and "cook" for about 6 hours. Lately I've been straining it through cheesecloth and making thick greek yogurt.
Well thank you so much for the post. I guess there aren't many yogurt makers and I'm a newbee.

My second batch I did strain it and I used a flour sack in a mesh strainer as this is what I wrap my bread in to rise. This came out like the Greek style yogurt.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:11 PM

3,603 posts, read 9,015,315 times
This is the one I use, but I don't think it's necessary, just makes my life easier and I like the little glass containers for portion size. Buy Euro Cuisine Automatic Yogurt Maker Online at drugstore.com

Old 11-07-2010, 10:58 AM

1,385 posts, read 2,446,389 times
I make homemade yogurt with a Donvier machine that has 8 six ounce cups.

I heat 6 cups 2% milk with 1/3 cup nonfat powdered milk to 185 degrees in the microwave, then hold it in that range for 30 minutes at 10% power. It allegedly helps make a thicker yogurt.

I cool it to 114 degrees and whisk in 1/2 cup of live yogurt. It takes between 3 1/2 - 5 hours in the machine, depending on how lively the yogurt culture I added was.

We eat it for breakfast almost every day with fresh fruit, agave syrup and grape-nuts.

My husband has a terrible ice cream addiction, so I started making frozen yogurt for him with yogurt cheese. He really likes, and it is much better for him (and me).

Homemade yogurt is so much tastier than store bought. It is not as sour, and has fresh milk flavor.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:03 AM

661 posts, read 1,246,500 times
I used to live down the road from a dairy farm. We bought raw milk from them for $2 a gallon. Sometimes I would pasteurize it, sometimes not. It was great for making yogurt! If you enjoy making yogurt try buying some sour cream or cheese cultures. All it takes is a little patience.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
I make homemade yogurt with a Donvier machine that has 8 six ounce cups.

I heat 6 cups 2% milk with 1/3 cup nonfat powdered milk to 185 degrees in the microwave, then hold it in that range for 30 minutes at 10% power. It allegedly helps make a thicker yogurt.

I cool it to 114 degrees and whisk in 1/2 cup of live yogurt. It takes between 3 1/2 - 5 hours in the machine, depending on how lively the yogurt culture I added was.

I did read somewhere that holding it at the higher temp after reaching 185 will produce thicker yogurt. The last batch I used the microwave to heat, I didn't try the stove top yet but I used 1 ceramic bowl, to heat in microwave, cool down, add the culture, keep warm by putting the whole bowl in crock, then refridgerate. I'm trying to save on cleaning up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes