Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 05:59 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,144,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
with brussel sprouts, i like them just with salt and olive oil and baked until browned--probably 25 minutes.
This was going to be my recommendation. But call them "roasted" (not baked), it's more gourmet sounding

The flavor is awesome, they get an almost nutty flavor that is really good, and this is a healty dish too. I like to squeeze a little lemon juice over mine, and I'm sure it would be good to add some fresh garlic with the olive oil. (Maybe obvious, but toss to coat with the olive oil BEFORE roasting.)

As for the sweet taters, I'll recommend a similar dish. Basically roasted fall root veggies.

You can dice sweet taters, maybe some beats, quarter some onions, throw in some garlic cloves (in the skin), add some 1" diced butter-nut squash, and whatever other root veggies you like. Toss them with EVOO, fresh garlic, sea salt, and maybe a littel bit of chopped rosemary or thyme (or your other choice) Roast on a baking sheet in a SINGLE LAYER in a 375 or 400* oven. Stir and turn carefully every 10-20 minutes or as they brown, until they are done to crispy tenderness. Serve hot, cold or room temp and you'll have another T-day winner that is relatively healthy.

EDIT> Just read page 2. Sorry to be redundant about the brussel sprouts, but yes, they are THAT GOOD. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 09:21 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,141,808 times
Skip the marshmallows on the sweet potatoes....please. That's just too, too, sweet.

chopped pecan meats sprinkled on top of your cassarole are much better!

Old 11-20-2010, 09:42 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,523,708 times
I clean and half brussel sprouts
carrots
shallots
chopped, peeled, Granny smith apples
Some type of root veggie like Rutabaga, red potatoes, or sweet potatoes, cut to size and peeled accordingly (I don't peel red potatoes)

Toss in olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper
Put in baking dish, cover, bake at 350 till they are done. Anywhere from 45 minutes to 1.5 hr depending on how big everthing is cut.

Sometimes I add a splash of Apple Jack and sometimes I add the apples later than the other veggies. It depends.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:34 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,784,942 times
I roast sweet potatoes with a cumin/coriander/smoked paprika spice blend. You can also add a bit of cayenne pepper. Or kill the smoked paprika. Equal parts cumin/coriander/salt work well to season the potatoes.

You can still use the sweeter spices with a touch of salt as well. Like chinese 5 spice powder. That is a great combo.

Toss with a bit of olive oil, salt, spice mix and roast in a 400 degree oven.

I enjoy roasted brussel sprouts as well. Simply roasted with a bit of shallot or onion/salt/pepper/olive oil. And then you can finish them with a bit of cooked, chopped bacon. And a mini drizzle of leftover drippings and a spritz of lemon.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:31 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,253,397 times
We like both.
I grew up my Moms special sweet pot.
She boils sweet pot just until done but not soft & mushy. Lets them cool to room temp. Take peeling/skins off & put in fridge until cold.
Then slice thick...set aside.
Melt butter & brown sugar until it becomes hot & syrupy (is that a word ?).
Then add thick sliced sweet pot & cook on both sides, until slices are heated thru. Try only to turn once.
Basically the sweet potato slices carmalize............and EVERYONE LOVES THEM.

YUM.......

Old 11-21-2010, 07:46 AM

3,604 posts, read 9,037,939 times
Found another Sweet Potato recipe. I'm not waiting for Thanksgiving to make these, they're getting paired with some Salmon tonight.

Chipotle Mashed Sweet Potatoes | MattBites.com

Old 11-21-2010, 07:47 AM

3,604 posts, read 9,037,939 times
Found another Sweet Potato recipe. I'm not waiting for Thanksgiving to make these, they're getting paired with some Salmon tonight.

Chipotle Mashed Sweet Potatoes | MattBites.com

Old 11-26-2010, 05:37 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,415,797 times
I paid a little more attention to the brussel sprouts my number one son makes each year for Thanksgiving.

Render out diced pancetta. Nibble on reserved meat. Use pancetta fat to saute very finely chopped shallots to clear. Prepare brussels sprouts by removing outside leaves and cutting in half.

Brown brussels sprouts in fat and shallot saute over very high heat tossing continually to turn.

Add turkey stock and simmer for about an hour (stir frequently) reducing liquid to zero. Serve when liquid is fully reduced.

Wow were they good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes