Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2010, 05:47 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,246,823 times

Advertisements

Is there anyone who has a 'recipie' or directions to cook greens? I love greens, and can buy them in a can that has them spiced just right, but want to cook them from fresh greens. Mustard, collard, spinach, it doesn't matter what kind. I love them.

I like the southern style flavorings and don't know what spices they use to cook them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 05:57 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,420,591 times
Dont know myself..But one thing for sure is ham hocks..

Old 11-21-2010, 08:15 AM

1,311 posts, read 4,679,457 times
This is how I do it:
I fry up a few strips of bacon, and meanwhile I cut the greens into strips an inch or two wide. In the same pan, I simmer them for about an hour in a few teaspoons of the grease, chicken stock, water, and a few sprinkles of nutmeg. (Depending on how salty your stock is, you may want to add some salt.) At some point in the hour, I add a spoonful or two of sugar. Once they're about done, I add a teaspoon or so of cider vinegar. I like to top them with the crumbled bacon, since my kids seem to eat them much better that way. I've got some collards in the fridge right now...yum!

Old 11-24-2010, 02:19 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,246,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead1 View Post
This is how I do it:
I fry up a few strips of bacon, and meanwhile I cut the greens into strips an inch or two wide. In the same pan, I simmer them for about an hour in a few teaspoons of the grease, chicken stock, water, and a few sprinkles of nutmeg. (Depending on how salty your stock is, you may want to add some salt.) At some point in the hour, I add a spoonful or two of sugar. Once they're about done, I add a teaspoon or so of cider vinegar. I like to top them with the crumbled bacon, since my kids seem to eat them much better that way. I've got some collards in the fridge right now...yum!
Thank you, Cheesehead! I would never, ever have thought of cooking them this way, and it sound great. I'm going to try it out.

do you happen to know if 'poke salad' can be cooked the same way? In season, it grows like crazy around here and my mom (from Alabama) won't let me cut them down, tho she never cuts and cooks it.

Your recipie sounds great.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:50 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,679,457 times
Sorry, I don't know what poke salad is. If you find out, post back and tell what it is. Sounds interesting!

Old 11-24-2010, 06:43 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,746,678 times
You might take a look at the ingredients list on the can to find out exactly what spices are in there. The measurements won't be there but it's a good place to start when you are trying to work out what that taste is you can't make out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes