Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 09:31 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,229,411 times

Advertisements

Instead of celery I use fennel to give it a different bite from regular tuna salad, capers are good too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 09:41 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,628,186 times
Tuna in water, drained well. I don't care if it's light or white, whole or chunk, because it's all getting shredded and mixed with Hellman's mayo and smeared between two slices of toasted whole wheat, one of which has a slice of melted sharp cheddar on it.

Or, I'll eat it right from the bowl after I mix it with the mayo. And it has to be Hellmans.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:44 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,875,485 times
Two eggs per can, chopped celery, Miracle Whip and pepper on toasted bread.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:45 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,875,485 times
Very light on the Miracle Whip and the best tuna money can buy (Albacore, Dave's brand).

Old 04-23-2011, 05:09 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,502,350 times
Kirkland brand albacore tuna not processed in china. Don't drain out to much of the water as the albacore is really dry. More water means less mayo to get right consistency.

Kirkland brand mayo. Tastes exactly like Best Foods/Hellman's

Chopped green onions very fine.

Chopped black olives-chop my own.

Sweet relish- sugar sweetened no HFCS.

Chunks of sweet gherkins- again sugar sweetened. chunks about peanut size for extra crunch.

Grey Poupon or Maille Dijon mustard to taste.

Fresh milled pepper. To taste

Dash of sea salt if needed. Again to taste

Spread on cooled toasted pumpernickel moistened with a very light spread of mayo before spreading on Tuna Salad.

When the wife makes it she substitutes dill for sweet on the relish and pickles. She also adds smokey paprika and serves on untoasted white bread.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:08 AM

16,881 posts, read 15,997,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
I keep seeing how many eggs per can.... There are different sized cans. Anyhow, I use eggs (2 or 3 per small approx. 6 oz can). Mayonnaise, diced or minced celery, dill pickle and bell pepper. Or for sweet tuna ...eggs, mayo, tuna, diced apple and celery with a pinch of sugar. I've not touched tuna in months since hearing it's possibly processed in China. Until I find out otherwise no tuna for me.

Something changed in tuna processing the last year or two.. It used to be clearly cut whole and and packed, now it's all mush.

Dagnabbit, Satx! This is the third time I'm trying to tell ya!
This tuna is the exception! This tuna isn't mush! It's great!

Old 04-23-2011, 08:43 AM

18,837 posts, read 37,203,487 times
Start with the tuna, you can't make a decent sandwich with any cat food mush. Albacore, or forget it.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:07 AM

160 posts, read 453,073 times
I buy costco tuna - the 10 can pack - add a little Hellmann's and pepper on toasted sour dough and I am good to go!
I can't stand the mushy stuff that's out there - I recently returned a tuna sandwich that was made with that brown mushy stuff.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:07 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,463,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
[/i][/color]

Dagnabbit, Satx! This is the third time I'm trying to tell ya!
This tuna is the exception! This tuna isn't mush! It's great!
I did Roosty I took note the first time you posted in this thread. But, I was shocked to find it was $1.44 a can at Wally's! I'm used to paying $1.00 for two or three cans of the good stuff. Any brand you got was flaky and generally good. What the hell happened in the last year or two?? Apparently all the mush is coming from china. Probably has Melamine and some other toxic waste mixed in it! I always thought tuna was a great buy but sheesh it's pricey now. My wife is constantly telling me yeah well things have changed No kidding groceries are through the roof and we know things will never be the same. Any how thanks for the headsup ..i did follow up the first time. It's just i had just bought various brands of albacore to see the difference. They're all mush so Yep I'll have to start coughing up for the good stuff I reckon! I'm not happy about it though. Tuna sandwiches will never taste as good knowing the cost..

Old 04-25-2011, 10:33 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,682,473 times
Being someone who has only had "store bought" tuna a few times in my life, I have a completely different perspective on this. I have never found any place that can even remotely compete with my tuna salad sandwiches....and all mine contains is tuna and mayonaise.

The best you're going to get is White Albacore...solid pack. Try adding about 1/4 tsp lemon juice (per 6 1/2 oz can) to your tuna salad. Lemon takes out the "fishy" odor and taste and gives a much milder flavor. I pack my home canned tuna in jars, add salt and lemon juice...PERIOD!....no water, no oil, etc. Tuna is an extremely oily fish and once it's canned, it is packed in its own oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes