Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 03:06 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
My favorite budget steak is still the Chuck-eye. In fact, if it's a good cut, it's just my favorite steak, budget or not...

Poor mans ribeye. It is a really good cut. Plenty of fat w/great taste.

IMO, tenderloin is the most over rated cut there is. All it is....is tender. No fat = no flavor. Ya gotta wrap it in bacon, mushrooms/pastry, cover in sauce, .....just to add flavor.

Just say'n. To each their own, I know the wife likes tenderloin.

For me, make it a tri-tip or brisket, smoked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 08:35 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,125 times
Thanks everyone.

Here's what I ended up doing. I rubbed it with coarse kosher salt and let it sit uncovered in the refrigerator for ~30 hours. Then I rubbed it with olive oil and threw it on the grill (thankfully, it was a mild day). I originally didn't plan to grill it, but I didn't want to smell up the house with pan cooking beef in the midst of winter.

I grill by instinct so I can't say how long it was on, but I seared both sides and flipped it a time or two.

I let it sit for a long while (I actually planned on saving it to eat later, because it was brined it had to be cooked but I wasn't in the mood for it tonight). Then I took a test taste. Oh.my.god. It had a very buttery flavor and was utterly delicious. That's the only way I can think to describe it - buttery.

I'm glad I tried it and will definitely have it again. Gotta love grilling in December

Old 12-31-2010, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
Thanks everyone.

Here's what I ended up doing. I rubbed it with coarse kosher salt and let it sit uncovered in the refrigerator for ~30 hours. Then I rubbed it with olive oil and threw it on the grill (thankfully, it was a mild day). I originally didn't plan to grill it, but I didn't want to smell up the house with pan cooking beef in the midst of winter.

I grill by instinct so I can't say how long it was on, but I seared both sides and flipped it a time or two.

I let it sit for a long while (I actually planned on saving it to eat later, because it was brined it had to be cooked but I wasn't in the mood for it tonight). Then I took a test taste. Oh.my.god. It had a very buttery flavor and was utterly delicious. That's the only way I can think to describe it - buttery.

I'm glad I tried it and will definitely have it again. Gotta love grilling in December

You brined it? As in a salt, sugar, water?

Old 12-31-2010, 06:36 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
You brined it? As in a salt, sugar, water?
Oh, no. I patted it down with coarse kosher salt and let it sit uncovered in the fridge for over a day. I didn't immerse in salt water.

Old 01-01-2011, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
Oh, no. I patted it down with coarse kosher salt and let it sit uncovered in the fridge for over a day. I didn't immerse in salt water.
Phewwww! I was worried there for a bit.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:10 PM

13 posts, read 35,308 times
Thumbs up Easy Flat Iron...

Here's a fool proof recipe for succulent flat iron steak: you don't have to use the marinade but it's really good one to learn. Oh, if you're not preparing a flat iron steak to a medium rare, you're ruining a good piece of meat:

Marinade: Makes about 1 ½ cups

1/3 cup Maggi Sauce (usually in the Asian section of any grocery store)
½ cup olive oil
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
1 ½ Tbsp. garlic powder
2 Tbsp. dried basil (crush in your hand before adding)
1 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
couple of shakes of hot sauce ( I use Sriracha hot chili sauce, found in most stores)

Place everything in a blender and blend on high speed for 30 seconds until thoroughly mixed. Pour marinade over meat, cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or up to 8 hours.

The Steak: **please take the time to trim off any "silver skin"(gristle) before you start, it makes a difference in tenderness.

Heat the oven to 250 degrees.

Heat an oven proof skillet, (NOT a non-stick skillet), with a thin coating of oil over medium high heat until just starting to smoke. Take the steak directly from the marinade, if using, to the skillet and sear for about 1 minute on each side. If not using a marinade, season the steak with salt and pepper after you sear it.

Place the skillet with the steak into the oven and cook about 20 – 30 minutes or until the interior temperature of the steak is 140 – 145 degrees. NO HIGHER! Remove the skillet from the oven and remove the steak to a carving board and let rest 15 minutes.

Cut the steak into ¼” slices and serve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes