Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 02:13 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,336,790 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a good recipe for flat iron steak? I have never made it before. I need to cook it inside (vs out on the grill).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 02:26 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Seems to be a great recipe:
Flat Iron Steak with Red Wine Sauce Recipe : Giada De Laurentiis : Food Network
Another one:
Flat Iron Steak Recipe - Food.com - 127444
and here:
Flat Iron Steak with Three Pepper Rub Recipe - Allrecipes.com
enjoy!

Whatever calls for a grill, you can do the same on a good quality skillet.

or check here for indoor cooking recipes:
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/perfec...ak/Detail.aspx
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/roaste...ak/Detail.aspx
You can broil it too...
http://www.wikihow.com/Broil-Steak
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/creole...ak/Detail.aspx
http://www.ifood.tv/network/flat_iron_steak/recipes

Last edited by elnina; 12-28-2010 at 02:53 PM.. Reason: added more :)

Old 12-28-2010, 03:36 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Here is a recipe for chimichurri. Great accompaniement to flat iron steak. (and/or any steak)

Also, feel free to improvise. I typically only use parsley and parsley and cilantro since I always have a ton to use up. And occasionally a fresh serrano or jalapeno if I have one.

Grilled Skirt Steak with Chimichurri Sauce

Also try a homemade spice rub: cumin, paprika, coriander, black pepper, salt. One part of each is good.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:40 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
A flat iron steak is really just like a filet. Cook it the same. I order it in great restaurants and that is how it is served. Salt and pepper grill very hot for crust on outside and pink in middle. Bearnaise or Bordeaux. Side of onion straws, fries, scalloped potatoes and green vegetable.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:57 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,336,790 times
I'm a little apprehensive about cooking it inside. I'm not bad on the the grill, but steak in a pan or the oven hasn't been very successful for me.

For a holiday dinner, the hostess cooked a whole beef tenderloin, rubbed with salt and let to sit for 24 hours and then rubbed with EVOO, in the oven at 450 until it reached 125. She served it sliced with a wine reduction. It was FABULOUS. I couldn't believe that could be done in an oven.

For those of you who have cooked flat iron steak, does this sound viable? It's not a single steak; it's like a small (flat) tenderloin size. Or will it not become tender enough? The man at the meat market said "you have to cook it right for it to be good" and I don't really know what that means for practical purposes.

Old 12-28-2010, 04:02 PM

Its a very tender piece of meat but a tiny bit drier than a filet which is also somewhat dry.

Roasting it at a high temp with a probe in it is good. Rub with oil and salt and pepper. Roast at 400 F. until probe says 130 (I think, check this). Let stand at least 5 minutes loosely covered with foil before serving. UI urge you to make some Bearnaise even if it is Knorr package. The steak can be a little dry.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:25 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,320,216 times
I love flat iron steaks-unfortunately can not always get it here. When available I cook it in a closed grill (George Foreman) seasoned with Montreal Steak seasoning.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:09 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,945 times
Help us idiots out, Wilson, cause I'm think'n of the wrong steak. For some reason I thought it had way more fat than a fillet, which is basically fat "free". Where does this come from? I've heard of it but never gave it much attention. I'm guess'n someone took something that used to be ground and made it a "steak" and gave it a name.

Sorry to be so ignorant, I don't eat steak at restaurants much.

Thanks for the help, Wilson.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
Help us idiots out, Wilson, cause I'm think'n of the wrong steak. For some reason I thought it had way more fat than a fillet, which is basically fat "free". Where does this come from? I've heard of it but never gave it much attention. I'm guess'n someone took something that used to be ground and made it a "steak" and gave it a name.

Sorry to be so ignorant, I don't eat steak at restaurants much.

Thanks for the help, Wilson.
With pleasure Capt. This link will help:

//www.city-data.com/forum/cinci...lat-irons.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/13894265-post6.html

Last edited by Wilson513; 12-29-2010 at 05:19 PM..

Old 12-30-2010, 02:31 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,367 times
This might be a more useful link, as it shows the location/origin of the flatiron: Flat iron steak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IMO, it is a good grilling steak. Nice because it's marbled and that makes for a good steak, but I don't believe it would be good roasted like a full tenderloin, or a chateau. Just my opinion, but the full cut has a tendon running through it, and as other have noted, it is more marbled than tenderloin, in addition to being MUCH less tender.

Note the comparison to a flank-steak and/or a skirt steak. These are very different cuts.

My final vote: A good griller, but not a good roaster. (Probably decent in a crock too!)

My favorite budget steak is still the Chuck-eye. In fact, if it's a good cut, it's just my favorite steak, budget or not...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes