U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 11:04 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,524,811 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the suggestion...I'll try that. I like the filling thick and dry - but I will definately try to thin it up a little!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 12:59 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,582,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
This is not exactly finger food in the traditional sense of no dishes, but guaranteed to be popular - make a crock pot of velveeta or queso dip and get some of those paper boats. All you need are some pickled jalapenos and tortilla chips and you have a little nacho bar.
I've never thought of using paper boats! I've put out small paper plates, but I think the boats would be so cute & hold a lot more.

Great idea! Like a concession stand

Courtney

Old 01-06-2011, 01:29 PM

2,406 posts, read 5,655,082 times
Talking Some great ideas...

Thanks everyone for your ideas & recipes...

Our family always has devilled eggs, that's the only thing my SiL knows how to make. Seriously...

The pronlem is... over all the holidays & 2 other Birthdays we had so much of the meatballs, smokies & pinwheels... I know everyone is sort of burned out.

I like the fresh fruit idea... this would be great for the Diabetics & people watching their calories/weight.

Keep the ideas coming....you guys are great.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:48 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,582,265 times
^In that case, since your family is burnt out on the "usuals", I would go to your nearest grocer & look in the frozen foods section. You may be pleasantly surprised by what is out there & how good some of the pre-made things taste nowadays.

I am particularly fond of the feta cheese & caramelized onion tarts from Trader Joes, I could eat those daily!

I LOVE to make chicken salad using rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. Add real mayo, green onions, celery, heavy amount of black pepper & salt, stuff into a store bought croissant.

I don't know if there is an Aldis in your area, but they have FABULOUS frozen appetizers. I routinely buy their spinach artichoke dip stuffed wontons, they are awesome & taste fine at room temperature after you cook them.

You could also make mini hamburgers ahead of time & then heat them up the day of your event & use a Hawaiian Roll for the bun.

It depends on what all you're serving but a baked potato bar with all the fixins could be good.

How about tossing a large caesar salad? Caprese salads are wonderful too....

Courtney

Old 01-06-2011, 01:54 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,341,434 times
As a good standby in case all the food goes too quickly I use filled tortellini. They are really easy to cook from fresh, boil them and serve with a cocktail stick in each and a pot of pesto/tomato to dip in. If you don't use them on the day you can freeze and have for dinner at a later date.

Or buy filo sheets and make small savory pies using a muffin tray. You can make small quiches or chicken mayo/salmon with creme freche filling

Old 01-06-2011, 03:43 PM

8,004 posts, read 10,548,023 times
Oh hey, I just had another thought for you. Like you, I get really tired of the same ole, same ole stuff. Boooooooooring! For New Year's Eve, I decided I'd do up quesadillas (sp?) LOL They were so fast and easy.....and boy did they ever make a hit. We had a few people over and the main snacks were the quesadillas and cream cheese crescents. I only made one kind of filling but it was a smash hit. I froze some "Western Sizzler" steaks and moved them from the freezer to the fridge the day before. New Year's eve day, I used my meat slicer to slice all the beef really thin, as well as a couple of large onions. I tossed the blend with some Durkees Steak dust and 1/4 c. soy sauce, then left covered on the counter to finish thawing. While it was thawing, I shredded a couple of pounds of cheese, tossed it with some corn starch (so it wouldn't stick), then chopped a bag of baby spinach. The reason I prepped so much meat and cheese, is that I wanted to have some left for the next day! It was such a refreshing change and opened up a whole new mess of possibilities for me. I'm already brainstorming for the next ones....Philly cheesesteak, chicken/bacon/ranch....mmm. Seriously, my family can not get enough...LOL....at least for now!

Old 01-07-2011, 02:02 PM

2,406 posts, read 5,655,082 times
You guys are great. Thank you all so much. Looks like I'll be heading to the store, have a list of things to buy next week.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:56 PM

18,847 posts, read 33,443,805 times
Pimento Cheese: It's A Southern Thing : NPR Perhaps it is how I grew up, but there was never a party with out pimento cheese sandwiches, or put on rolls.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:06 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,001,304 times
Instead of the standard bbq meatballs, you could make them with a bordelaise sauce....very yummy! You could also do a 7 Layer Mexican dip served with tortilla chips. Also, Sabra makes this great roasted pine nut hummus which can be served with chips or fresh veggies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes