U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 03:38 PM

4,037 posts, read 9,347,975 times

Advertisements

"Scampi" is a very 1970s American (it's certainly not Italian, despite being associated with pasta) restaurant dish. (It reminds me of my mother.) Back then people used a lot more butter and cream in all dishes than we do today. Part of the change was for health reasons, but also because you can't enjoy (or even taste) that natural flavors of the main ingredient when it's drowned in butter.

The recipe is more like a classic escargot preparation (with butter and persillade, i.e., parsley and garlic). You can find much lighter ways of preparing shrimp with butter.

Last edited by tpk-nyc; 01-11-2011 at 04:27 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 03:45 PM

5,456 posts, read 5,639,958 times
Ah-Oh Wilson you did get me on this one. kels

Old 01-11-2011, 05:14 PM

10,135 posts, read 24,533,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
Ah-Oh Wilson you did get me on this one. kels

Sorry, I didn't mean to "gotcha."

I love spaghetti, but when I fix it with scampi or blackened scallops I just use clam juice and lemon so the dish is not so heavy. And, I use vermicelli which I find very refreshing. But your recipe looks great too. I still can't figure what was wrong with hers. It had two pounds of shrimp and a cup of butter which is probably more than needed but only so much butter can adhere to a warm shrimp.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:19 PM

5,284 posts, read 18,624,405 times
My favorite shrimp scampi - beautiful presentation too.

Ingredients
•2 pounds (12 to 15 per pound) shrimp in the shell
•3 tablespoons good olive oil
•2 tablespoons dry white wine
•Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
•12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
•4 teaspoons minced garlic (4 cloves)
•1/4 cup minced shallots
•3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
•1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary leaves
•1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
•1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
•2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
•1 extra-large egg yolk
•2/3 cup panko (Japanese dried bread flakes)
•Lemon wedges, for serving
Directions
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Peel, devein, and butterfly the shrimp, leaving the tails on. Place the shrimp in a mixing bowl and toss gently with the olive oil, wine, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Allow to sit at room temperature while you make the butter and garlic mixture.

In a small bowl, mash the softened butter with the garlic, shallots, parsley, rosemary, red pepper flakes, lemon zest, lemon juice, egg yolk, panko, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper until combined.

Starting from the outer edge of a 14-inch oval gratin dish, arrange the shrimp in a single layer cut side down with the tails curling up and towards the center of the dish. Pour the remaining marinade over the shrimp. Spread the butter mixture evenly over the shrimp. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until hot and bubbly. If you like the top browned, place under a broiler for 1 minute. Serve with lemon wedges.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:36 AM

20,545 posts, read 27,539,209 times
Thank you all for the "better" recipes and ideas. I will try it again in the near future...with some white wine and a lot less butter I think

BTW, how do you reduce a sauce?

Old 01-12-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Thank you all for the "better" recipes and ideas. I will try it again in the near future...with some white wine and a lot less butter I think

BTW, how do you reduce a sauce?
Place it on a burner in an open pan, no lid, and reduce the heat until it is bubbling across the pan but not furiously. Stir occasionally with the back of a a wooden spoon to avoid sticking to the pan as the water evaporates from the sauce.

EDIT:

If you are reducing a sauce that has a 1/2 cup of white wine in it as above, you can boil furiously for a few minutes to reduce it faster but the minute it starts to thicken, turn it down as stated above.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:40 AM

20,545 posts, read 27,539,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Place it on a burner in an open pan, no lid, and reduce the heat until it is bubbling across the pan but not furiously. Stir occasionally with the back of a a wooden spoon to avoid sticking to the pan as the water evaporates from the sauce.

EDIT:

If you are reducing a sauce that has a 1/2 cup of white wine in it as above, you can boil furiously for a few minutes to reduce it faster but the minute it starts to thicken, turn it down as stated above.

Thank you. Something new for me to learn

Old 01-12-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Thank you. Something new for me to learn

It is good to also be very comfortable with "thickening" a sauce as opposed to reducing it. You may know all you need to now (I am not presuming that you don't) but the time to learn is not when you have 5 people sitting at the dinning room table with all of the rest of the meal done.

Last edited by Wilson513; 01-12-2011 at 09:57 AM..

Old 01-12-2011, 11:58 AM

5,456 posts, read 5,639,958 times
Ok, Wilson what restaurant are you the Head Chef at? I need reservations for 2 this Sat. night! I love your idea with the clam juice and lemon. I still can't figure out the original recipe, you are so right in saying that the shrimp can soak up just so much better. CN's recipe sounds really good too, something else to try really soon.

My husband loves just Cappellini (Angel Hair) with minced garlic, onion, shallots & extra virgin olive oil. Old fashioned Italian peasant food.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
Ok, Wilson what restaurant are you the Head Chef at? I need reservations for 2 this Sat. night! I love your idea with the clam juice and lemon. I still can't figure out the original recipe, you are so right in saying that the shrimp can soak up just so much better. CN's recipe sounds really good too, something else to try really soon.

My husband loves just Cappellini (Angel Hair) with minced garlic, onion, shallots & extra virgin olive oil. Old fashioned Italian peasant food.

Oh, I'm just following you.

But, angel hair is the best. Its just so hard to get it right I don't even try any more. I have messed it up more times than I can count. You should post up your angel hair technique for those of us who have a sticky mess on their hands every time they try it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes