U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2011, 04:45 PM

2,192 posts, read 6,479,335 times

Advertisements

My family is over for today's game so I made Jambalaya and everyone loved it so I thought I would share it with you guys.

Jambalaya should be cooked in a cast iron kettle over low heat but if you don't have one then this is an easy way to cook it in your oven.

1/2 stick Unsalted Butter
1lb Alligator and Duck Sausage, Sliced
3 Boneless Chicken Breast, 1/2" cubed
1lb Shrimp, 50-60 count
1 Onion, Diced
1 Bell Pepper, Diced
1 Cup Celery, Diced
2 Tbsp. Garlic, Minced
1 18oz Can Diced Tomatoes
1 18oz Can Tomato Sauce
2 Cups Chicken Stock
3 Cups Long grain Rice
4 Bay Leaves
1 Teaspoon Ground Thyme
1 Teaspoon Ground Sage
1 teaspoon File Powder
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard powder
1 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Ground White Pepper
1 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt the butter, sauté sausage until browned. Add onion, bell pepper, celery and sauté until tender. Add tomato and tomato sauce cook about a minute. Add the garlic and seasoning and cook about a minute. Add the stock, chicken and shrimp and bring to a boil. Add rice and stir well then transfer to a large baking pan and bake uncovered for about 30-40 minutes, or until the rice is cooked, but still has a little bite. Top with chopped parsley, and sliced green onions. This will feed about 6 to 8 people easily. Remove Bay leaves before serving.

This is a traditional New Orleans red jambalaya. You can also cut the recipe in half or quarter if needed.

busta
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 04:55 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,258,443 times
Sounds great! Keep those cajun recipes come'n!

Can't wait for crawfish prices to drop a bit, I'm so ready for a boil!

Old 01-16-2011, 01:59 PM

5,209 posts, read 9,576,376 times
Where did you find alligator and duck sausage? I've never seen that. Is that fairly common in your neck of the woods?

That jambalaya does sound good!

Last edited by springfieldva; 01-16-2011 at 02:37 PM..

Old 03-29-2011, 07:37 PM

3,039 posts, read 5,453,476 times
If you can't find that kind of sausage, you can use any smoked sausage. This sounds like a great recipe but a lot more complex than the one I make. I'm lazy though.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:16 AM

6,057 posts, read 7,058,748 times
Oh my goodness - it's all I can do not to drool. I just loved the jambalaya in New Orleans.

Any substitutes for the filé powder?

Old 03-31-2011, 12:15 AM

3,039 posts, read 5,453,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Oh my goodness - it's all I can do not to drool. I just loved the jambalaya in New Orleans.

Any substitutes for the filé powder?

I've never used filé powder. I'd make a roux instead but that requires the patience to stand there for half an hour or so, stirring continually.
I find the jambalaya in New Orleans much drier than the one I make. I don't mind it but hubby likes my version better. Or so he says.

In NOLA, Coops Place is the firm favorite of my friends as far as jambalaya is concerned.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:18 AM

4,598 posts, read 5,234,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
I've never used filé powder. I'd make a roux instead but that requires the patience to stand there for half an hour or so, stirring continually.
I find the jambalaya in New Orleans much drier than the one I make. I don't mind it but hubby likes my version better. Or so he says.

In NOLA, Coops Place is the firm favorite of my friends as far as jambalaya is concerned.
OMG YES!! Coops Place is awesome!! So much good stuff there. Cold Marinated Crab Claws are fantastic also.

I've never heard of making a roux for Jambalaya. Care to share your recipe?

Old 04-23-2011, 10:22 AM

4,230 posts, read 9,468,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Where did you find alligator and duck sausage? I've never seen that. Is that fairly common in your neck of the woods?

That jambalaya does sound good!
The alligator sausage can be found in supermarkets here. Not sure about the duck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes