U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2011, 06:39 AM

4,035 posts, read 9,652,270 times

Advertisements

DH loves black beans. Every time we are out somewhere that offers them, he has to order them. So, several times I've tried to cook them at home. They never seem to come out right. They never even come out black. I cooked some yesterday, and they tasted good, but really more like red/kidney beans. And, again, they changed color and came out more of a red/maroon color. I followed the recipe exactly. Am I buying the wrong beans? The bag said "black beans". What am I doing wrong? I really want to get this right for him.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 07:59 AM

11,713 posts, read 18,598,752 times
I've never had that problem, mine always come out black.

They look like this:

http://foodportraits.com/images/521.jpg

Try this recipe, it's soooo good. It's from the Joy of Cooking.

Brazilian Black Beans Recipe at Epicurious.com

I take the sausage out of the casing and fry it up with the peppers and onions instead of olive oil, but other than that I follow the recipe. Oh but I might replace some or all of the bell pepper with jalapenos.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:29 AM

16,732 posts, read 35,335,175 times
Mmmm, feijoada.

OP, have you tried Goya brand black beans?

Old 01-18-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Mmmm, feijoada.

OP, have you tried Goya brand black beans?
Does Goya sell dried beans? I've seen their canned ones, but never dried ones. The brand I bought this time was just the Walmart brand. They had some other brand, but not one I'd ever seen before, so i just grabbed the Walmart ones.

My recipe called for me to soak them overnight, discard the liquid, then cook them in the crockpot with water, chicken stock, onion cilantro, jalapenos and spices.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:46 AM

Goya Products

Old 01-19-2011, 06:25 AM

4,196 posts, read 5,565,130 times
I have always used well rinsed Canned Black beans.
I doubt very much unless you eat very high end that when you get them out you are getting a dried bean.
Heres a good Black Bean salad recipe I have used before.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...ipe/index.html

Old 01-19-2011, 07:16 AM

Fontucky, thanks for the info on Goya. I guess their dried bean products are just not available in my part of the world.

Caligula1, thanks for the link to the recipe, and I'm sure you're correct about the kind of beans we get out being canned. I don't really even like black beans, but the ones I cooked at home this week weren't too bad, maybe because they didn't taste like what I thought black beans should taste like. I just really think it's weird that when I cook them they don't stay black. I just really wondered if I was doing something wrong.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:36 AM

11,713 posts, read 18,598,752 times
I'm wondering if these beans had been sitting on the shelf for years. I've definitely had poor results cooking "old" (i.e. very very dry) beans.

I'm fortunate to live somewhere where I can get them from a Mexican supermarket so they are sure to have high turnover on the shelves.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I'm wondering if these beans had been sitting on the shelf for years. I've definitely had poor results cooking "old" (i.e. very very dry) beans.

I'm fortunate to live somewhere where I can get them from a Mexican supermarket so they are sure to have high turnover on the shelves.
I suppose it's possible, but I've had the same results, even while living in Houston and shopping at a store with a very high volume/turnover store, with many Hispanic shoppers. Maybe the beans don't like being soaked first. But all the directions/recipes say to soak them overnight, as you would any other bean. I don't know, maybe we'll just eat maroon beans.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:37 AM

For convenience sake I usually end up using canned. There are good sales on the product all through the year around here. I've found that Bush brand tends to be inky black, while the S&W brand tends to be dark red. The taste and texture are the same so it's all good, especially at 68 cents a can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes