U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2011, 07:56 AM

6,052 posts, read 7,053,806 times

Advertisements

This recipe came from the Winnipeg Free Press, courtesy of a chef who served it to the Queen when she was here. The entire recipe involved trout to be served with the pave, but I can also see it going well with poultry and pork - anything you might want a side with a touch of sweetness to it.

1 cup wild rice
50 grams dried cranberries
35 grams dried Chanterelle mushrooms
35 grams dried porcini mushrooms
1 cup low alcohol sweet red wine (I use Marsala)
1 cup 35% cream
1/2 cup 3.25% milk
2 tbsp. sugar
1 shallot, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 eggs
salt and pepper to taste

Soak the wild rice in cool water for a day then drain the rice and add 4 cups water and cook until the wild rice is soft and has split. Drain any excess liquid.

Soak both kinds dried mushrooms in hot water for 15 minutes. Cook the dried cranberries with the red wine and sugar and reduce to a thick syrup. (50 grams equals about 3 tablespoons. I have added more. I have also substituted dried mixed berries for the cranberries) Set aside.

Chop the mushrooms and fry in olive oil with the shallots and the garlic. Add some of the mushroom water as needed. Let cool.

Beat two eggs with cream and milk and season with salt and pepper.

Combine the mushrooms, rice, cranberries and add the cream-egg mixture. Pour into an 8 x 3 inch pan and bake at 325F for about 20 minutes.

It's much less complicated than it appears and the wild rice can be cooked ahead of time. I have also cooked the wild rice without soaking it first when I was short of time. Onions can easily be substituted for the shallots, and it is possible to use both more or less mushrooms, or different varieties than the recipe calls for.

The original recipe calls for steelhead trout fillets, pan-fried unseasoned in olive oil, and then white wine added to the same pan (trout removed), along with 1/2 cup unsalted butter, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons capers. Reduce slightly.

The fish fillets are placed on top of slices of the pavé and the sauce is poured over the whole thing. Very, very good. Something about that lemony tang of the sauce coupled with the sweetness of the berries in the wild rice.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or