Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 06:02 PM
JL JL started this thread

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times

Advertisements

Superbowl time is around the corner. Here is a list of the best and worst dips:

Top 10 Best and Worst Dips for the Super Bowl - Yahoo! Shopping
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 06:27 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
"Hidden Valley Ranch Dip" in a packet you add to sour cream is the best in my opinion. Wife and some others here like the Tostito's Salsa Con Queso #2 on the list. "Gameday" Blossoming onion and "Arriba" Fire Roasted Black Bean and Corn Salsa we have on hand.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:31 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Apart from jarred salsas, prepackaged dip is by and large sucky compared to homemade. And it's not like homemade dips are difficult to make, either.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:37 PM

All you need is sour cream and spices to make a wide variety of dips. Beans ,cheese, garlic and onion for a heavier dip! As for the Hidden Valley Ranch dip, if I could make it better I'd package it and go in business!

Old 01-30-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Apart from jarred salsas, prepackaged dip is by and large sucky compared to homemade. And it's not like homemade dips are difficult to make, either.
Homemade salsas are great too. I really prefer them most of the time to dips. There are great canned or bottled salsas too. I like Herdez salsas good stuff!

Old 01-30-2011, 07:49 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
My favorite would probably be pesto, though French onion dip or cheese sauce is adequate.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:14 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,956,390 times
I like the Axelrod Onion Dip - or Helluvagood dip - french onion. They are both really good.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:21 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,050,421 times
Why even bother with that store bought crap when you can make an awesome dip at home that taste so much better. Here is one that can be served hot or cold that your guest will love.

Lump Crab Meat Dip

1/4 stick butter
1 medium onion, minced
1/2 bell pepper, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 green onions, minced
1/4 bunch fresh parsley, minced
2 tablespoons Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 pint heavy whipping cream
1 package Philly cream cheese
1lb jumbo lump crab meat, pick shells

This is a great dip that can be adapted with crawfish, shrimp or lobster. You can even use imitation if needed but it will not be as good. An easy way to pick through the crab meat for shells is to use a black light. The shells will stick out like a sore thumb and be easy to find because they will glow.

Saute the onion, bell pepper, and garlic in the butter until the onions are wilted. Add the heavy cream and reduce by half.. Add the green onions, parsley, seasonings and cream cheese and simmer until the cream cheese is well mixed. Fold in the crab meat making sure not to breakup to much, return to a simmer, and let cook several minutes more. Transfer into a chafing dish and serve hot.

I guarantee if you make this with fresh crab meat your guest will rave about your cooking skills.

busta

Old 01-30-2011, 10:08 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
This is the best clam dip and so simple. I served this earlier this month at my husband's birthday party - it is always a hit.

Clam Dip

1 cube butter
1 large cream cheese (8 oz)
add 2 tuna size can of minced clams with the juice from one can

In a small saucepan melt butter and cream cheese stirring constantly. Add minced clams and their juice and continue to stir until mixture comes together and is hot.

Serve in the center of hollowed out round loaf of bread or in a chaffing dish and cubes of soft French or sourdough bread for dipping. ( I serve it in a bowl rather than the bread).

Old 01-31-2011, 06:24 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Homemade salsas are great too. I really prefer them most of the time to dips. There are great canned or bottled salsas too. I like Herdez salsas good stuff!
Def. agree. It's just that I seem to be able find way more premade salsas that are at least palatable than premade dips. Premade versions of the same dips I can make at home usually have weird preservatives and a weird gelatinous texture. If I don't have the fresh ingredients on hand to make great salsa, I can usually find one at the store that's not too bad. Most dips are really bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes