U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 11:26 AM

511 posts, read 815,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
The Hbhw is a great site, thanks for sharing
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 11:53 AM

2,940 posts, read 4,845,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Anything with eggs, is usually fairly cost-effective, too.
Potato frittata. Two cheap ingredients, potatoes and eggs, in one dish. Actually, it's potatos, eggs, herbs, salt and pepper, and cream (or just milk). You can stretch your meats, too. One or two strips of bacon rendered for the fat, then crumble the bacon in the recipe. That's two strips of bacon for 4-5 people. Or a bit of ham or sausage. Great for leftovers, perfect for breakfast or lunch. It's a budget saver.

I'll use ramen for all kinds of noodle bowls with leftover meats and vegetables. I had that last night. One grilled steak you can thinly slice for lots of different purposes (sandwiches, stir-fries, quesadillas). The meat is just a component of the dish, not the main ingredient. Soak the noodles in boiling water just until they almost separate, so they're not waterlogged. Drain and add sauteed carrots, onions, celery, paper-thin beef slices.

I mix fish sauce, soy, honey, hot sesame and tahini (maybe garlic, maybe a dash of Worcestershire, maybe some ginger, maybe some 5-Spice powder--there's no recipe. If it tastes good on the spoon it'll taste good in the dish). Sauce it, toss it, and eat. Or put it in the fridge and eat cold later. Throw in toasted sesame seeds or nuts if you have them. When food is cold you can make the flavors more bold. Spicier, that is.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:51 AM

5,037 posts, read 8,194,564 times
The dinner I'm making tonight is cheap. I'm making a turkey, (which I got free with a $100 grocery purchase around Thanksgiving), and turkey vegetable soup. Since there's just 2 of us, the turkey will last many meals and there will even be enough to freeze some leftovers. After day 2 I am usually tired of "regular" turkey dinners, so I use leftovers to make turkey pot pie, turkey casserole, (turkey pieces mixed with cooked bow tie noodles, cream of chicken soup, peas & carrots, then baked until whatever cheese or cheese/cracker mix I top it with melts), etc. The pot pie and casserole are each good for a couple of meals here, too. I wind up using all the room I just made in the freezer by taking out the turkey to cook. LOL.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:35 PM

3,763 posts, read 7,837,802 times
legumes... many variety of beans, split peas, lentils
potato/egg dishes
rice dishes
barley soup

Old 02-13-2011, 12:57 PM

37,378 posts, read 45,454,343 times
Realized this last night...polenta! Really, anything that's rooted in "peasant food."

I made polenta with marinara last night, and cornmeal is a pretty darned cheap commodity, and just a little bit makes a whole lotta polenta. You can usually buy jarred marinara for inexpensively if you avoid premium brands (which is typically fine if you season it to taste yourself), or you can make your own very easily with canned tomatoes, which are typically pretty dirt cheap, too, garlic, seasonings, and olive oil.

It really struck me last night how super inexpensive this deceptively tasty dish was. Hadn't really thought about it, before...plus, it's a nice change of pace from pasta.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:49 PM

438 posts, read 1,567,062 times
My wife makes a faux chicken pot pie that is easy and inexpensive. Brown 2 cut up chicken breasts, or use leftover chicken from a routissere. Add a can of cream of chicken to the pot, and some chicken stock to thin it out a bit and salt and pepper to taste. Then add a half a bag or so of frozen veggies (the one that has carrots, peas, corn, green beans etc...) and cook over medium heat. She then bakes one of those frozen puff sheets in the oven. Serve in a bowl and put the puff pastry on top. It's really good....

Old 02-15-2011, 09:54 PM

3,763 posts, read 7,837,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Realized this last night...polenta! Really, anything that's rooted in "peasant food."

I made polenta with marinara last night, and cornmeal is a pretty darned cheap commodity, and just a little bit makes a whole lotta polenta. You can usually buy jarred marinara for inexpensively if you avoid premium brands (which is typically fine if you season it to taste yourself), or you can make your own very easily with canned tomatoes, which are typically pretty dirt cheap, too, garlic, seasonings, and olive oil.

It really struck me last night how super inexpensive this deceptively tasty dish was. Hadn't really thought about it, before...plus, it's a nice change of pace from pasta.
Polenta is a great, low cost idea. We make it a lot. So easy to cook, spread in a pan to cool, bake with tomato sauce & parmisan cheese. Yum!

Old 02-15-2011, 09:58 PM

37,378 posts, read 45,454,343 times
I might bake it next. I've been chilling it, cutting it into squares, and browning it on the griddle till hot and crispy-edged, and topping it with deliciousness.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:04 AM

3,855 posts, read 4,359,961 times
Do you know how many meals you can make with just rice and beans?

I make about 7 staple recipes...Its cheap and health. Main meal or side with a salad and sometimes a meat[of your choice]

Old 02-19-2011, 01:40 PM

512 posts, read 835,350 times
This is a great thread! I will have to try polenta
Here are some of my favorite low cost meals:
Fried rice
Spagehetti
Homemade pizza
Jambalaya
Chicken noodle or rice soup
White bean chili
Bean and cheese burritos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes