U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 04:43 PM

18,847 posts, read 33,420,746 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this qualifies as "low cost" but I like burritos, and one at Chipolte can cost $8.00, so I bought all the fixings for about $15, including the rotissery chicken, and have been having a feast for the last week. It is like eating out every night, at home.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 05:12 PM

5,170 posts, read 4,840,739 times
Top ramen, green onions and whatever left over meat or tofu you have (chicken, shrimp, pork, tofu). You get the idea.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:15 AM

37,378 posts, read 45,411,479 times
Black bean quesadillas have been on heavy rotation lately.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:30 AM

5,683 posts, read 9,463,150 times
When my spouse and I were first married, we pretty much lived on our version of Spaghetti Carbonara for most of our first year. You can find some fancy recipes for it that call for all sorts of high-priced ingredients, but what we used to make wound up costing no more than a buck or two per meal.

Ingredients

Half a pound or so of spaghetti (the largest package of generic is usually the cheapest per ounce)
Bacon ends and pieces (you can fry up a couple of slices if you prefer, but by far the cheapest way is to find one of those 3-pound boxes of "ends & pieces," the oddments that the butcher has left after slicing down the fancy part)
Four eggs
Parmesan cheese
Black Pepper, salt

Directions

Start a large pot of water heating. When it comes to a boil, drop in your spaghetti and cook for the time shown on the package.

While the spaghetti is cooking, fry up your bacon ends & pieces (or else two or three slices worth of cut-up bacon) in a large skillet. Get 'em good and crispy. Don't drain off the fat.

When the spaghetti is cooked, drain it well and dump the entire thing into the skillet with cooked bacon bits and bacon grease. Stir around until all the noodles are coated with bacon grease.

Break the eggs into a small bowl, add Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper, and beat lightly. Then pour the egg mixture over the spaghetti/bacon combination and stir/turn over until the eggs are cooked.

It isn't the healthiest meal in the world, and I wouldn't advocate a steady diet of it for a long time, but if you're down to not much food in the house and several days more until payday, this'll fill you up for a pittance.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:19 PM

133 posts, read 244,864 times
Default Cheap meals

Try Haluski.
8 oz Egg Noodles
4 Strips of Bacon
2 C shredded cabbage (1/4 head medium)
1 C chopped onions (2 small)
2 Tb oil
2 Tb butter

Boil 2 quarts salted water.

Chop bacon small and fry until crispy. Drain and put aside.

Put oil in pan with bacon fond. Fry for about 3 minutes or until they’ve changed color
Add butter to pan. When melted add shredded cabbage and chopped onions. Stir, then cover and allow to steam/fry. Add salt and pepper to taste Stir occasionally.

Put noodles in boiling water and cook according to package directions.

When vegetables are starting to brown, return bacon to pan. Stir in. Drain noodles and stir into veggie bacon mixture. Serve hot.

As pointed out in the previous post, you can buy generic noodles and ends and pieces bacon for cheap. The amount of cabbage and noodles can be expanded for multiple mouths.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:11 PM

18,286 posts, read 21,280,773 times
MWB hello been missing you since I'm not on as much now days. Hope you are doing well and that does sound yummy. Good to see you back in the foodie section!

MrBookworm welcome to CD are you any kin to MWB by chance?

Old 03-28-2011, 09:29 AM

133 posts, read 244,864 times
Default recipe relativity

MrBookworm welcome to CD are you any kin to MWB by chance?[/quote]

As a matter of fact I am. She sent me a link to the recipe forum, knowing full well that I just couldn't resist putting in my 2 cents worth.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:05 AM

4,196 posts, read 5,566,671 times
Chicken Stew,

Take a whole chicken, store brand usually around 7 dollars for a decent size.
Water, an onion and a can of broth.
Simmer for about 2 hours, remove chicken, add carrots and celery if you have it.
Thicken with flour or cornstarch.

Good with dumplings, egg noodles, as a caserole.
Always lots of leftover stew for the freezer.
I normally get about 4 meals out of this..

Old 03-28-2011, 03:18 PM

18,286 posts, read 21,280,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBookworm View Post
MrBookworm welcome to CD are you any kin to MWB by chance?
As a matter of fact I am. She sent me a link to the recipe forum, knowing full well that I just couldn't resist putting in my 2 cents worth.[/quote]

Nice to meet ya~ MWB is a peach of a gal I'm sure you know that already. She has shared many meals you both have cooked with us through the years. Looking forward to seeing your input now as well.

Old 04-09-2011, 11:04 PM

12,770 posts, read 10,381,323 times
All our meals are simple and cheap, because I hate to cook. For me, the less fuss the better, but it has to taste good. I have a great book by Jonni McCoy, called Healthy Meals for Less. She has a chapter devoted to 12 days of turkey, but also vegetarian, deserts, breads. All under $1 per serving.
One of my favorites is as follows;

Orange Curry.
1/2 C frozen concentrated orange juice
1/3 C + 1 T water
1 T curry powder
1/2 C minced onion
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 T oil
1 T cornstarch
1 C cooked meat or meat substitute
1 C steamed veges
In a saucepan over med heat, combine orance juice concentrate, 1/3 cup water, curry powder, salt, onion, garlic and oil. In a separate bowl, combine the cornstarch and 1 T of water. Mix well. Slowly whisk cornstarch mixture into orange juice mix. Simmer until it thickens. (2-3 min.)
Remove the sauce from the heat. Reheat the meat and veges in the microwave. Toss with the sauce. Serve over rice, noodles, or quinoa.

I like to make this with the fake chicken strips from Morning Star. I sautee them in butter til browned and a little crisp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes