U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2011, 08:28 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,701,386 times

Advertisements

Has anyone made beef liver. I saw some in the supermarket, and ended up frying it.

The taste was awesome, really sweet. The only problem was that I couldn't eat the whole thing so the leftovers went in the fridge.

I imagine it would go good with mashed potatoes and gravy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 08:31 PM

2,187 posts, read 7,174,330 times
It goes great with Onions or Chives...maybe even Garlic. It is definitely a comfort food that is great with potatoes. I don't cook it too often, but it is one of my Mom's favorites.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:58 PM

6,056 posts, read 7,054,859 times
I like liver. Lamb liver is even better than beef liver. I serve liver the way my husband likes it - with fried onions and mushrooms, and fried potatoes.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:15 PM

8,413 posts, read 13,866,359 times
Only way I like any kind of liver, beef, pork, chicken, is on a fish hook as bait. I aint eating that stuff but the catfish love it! lol

Old 03-08-2011, 11:28 PM

43,577 posts, read 62,366,226 times
Love liver. Lamb, veal, beef, pork, goose, even chicken... pan fried with onions and mushrooms, with gravy or not. With apples - oh, delicious!! With sour cream gravy, mustard gravy or tomato sauce. On the top of salad. Wrapped in bacon. Grilled. Liver shishkabobs! Liver pate.
I think I know many differed dishes made with liver.
So nutritious. Rich in Vit.B, and foliates -these vitamins reduce the levels of homocysteine in the blood and that results in improving cardiovascular health and decreasing your risk of having a heart attack;low in calories and fat ( well, high in cholesterol, sadly)

Old 03-09-2011, 12:30 AM

16,480 posts, read 13,860,079 times
Liver and onions, gravy....chicken livers battered and fried or sauteed with loads of onions and gravy.....dang, that's great stuff! OH! And what about the delicious chopped liver! Wowee Zowee baby! Aghhhh! I love that stuff....and with some chopped up egg in it.....I gotta get me some a.s.a.p.!

Old 03-09-2011, 09:28 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,363,897 times
You can never beat classic comfort food

I start out by soaking the liver in buttermilk, then frying
some bacon while cutting up a large onion.

Set the bacon aside and fry the onions until they turn color
pat dry the liver and drop into a plastic bag with flour, shake
off excess and place in pan with hot bacon grease.

Fry both sides until lightly brown and remove and place
on paper towels. Get a 13X9 glass dish and put ½
the onions on the bottom add liver then bacon
finishing off with the other ½ of the onions.
cover with plastic wrap and place in the microwave for 10min
@ 50% power let it sit in the microwave for 3min before serving

Old 03-09-2011, 09:58 AM

40,292 posts, read 49,814,219 times
Take about 4-6 pieces of bacon and fry them slowly to render out the fat. Set aside the bacon. Thinly slice 2 big onions (they will cook way down) and carmelize over medium-med/low in the bacon fat, stirring frequently, until uniformly brown. This is a slow process. It takes about an hour.
In the mean time, dredge the slices of liver in flour, salt and pepper. when the onions are done, remove them from the pan and add more oil to coat. Fry the liver for a few minutes on each side until lightly browned. Liver should still be a little pink inside. Place the onions, liver and bacon on a serving dish and keep in a warm oven until all the liver is cooked.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:03 AM

6,478 posts, read 6,545,780 times
They don't make a gun big enough to point at my head and make me eat liver.

If you think about it, one of the liver's prime functions is to remove bad stuff from the blood stream. Why would anyone want to eat the biologic equivalent of a lint screen? Yick! (Besides, it's packed with saturated fats.)

All that said, find your happiness where you can. If you enjoy it, enjoy it! Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

Buon appettito.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:31 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,701,386 times
I will definately try the lamb liver. I was really surprised with how tasty it was.

Maybe I can get some that was organically raised. Normally I don't care but the liver is the organ that filters all the toxins, and if the animal has been given lots of steroids I imagine this could be bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes