U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 04:18 PM

5,738 posts, read 4,209,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekhmet1974 View Post
No they are very different. The outside of potstickers is made of something different I think, because it is much thinner. Perogies are much thicker. Also potstickers have meat and/or veggies inside. Perogies have potatoes and then something else (cheese, mushrooms, or something similar) and then are usually eaten with sour cream or apple sauce on top. The taste is completely different from potstickers and they (perogies) are much more filling. They are delicious!

Beg to differ with you on this one. We use a steak filling and a very thin dough.

Perhaps this is a regional thing.

I make the perogies my grandmother, who was born and raised in Poland, made.

Our dough is similar to the recipe listed, but is just flour, sour cream, and egg.

We roll it quite thin; if done properly, it is quite "stretchy" but still "sticky".

However, I have never seen a recipe for our filling, or heard of anyone who makes our filling.

We use sirloin steak, slow cooked. Then we chop it quite fine, add chopped onion, raw egg, liberal amounts of salt and pepper, and some of the juices from the cooked steak.

After filling the thin but strong dough, we boil, cool, and then fry in bacon grease. The only toppings are butter and salt.

This is the most delicious food in the world and I make a huge batch (2-3 lbs. of meat) and freeze for several meals worth.

I remember helping my grandmother chop the meat, knead and roll the dough, and pinch the perogies closed.

Now I use a Cuisinart food processor for the meat and a Kitchen Aid mixer for the dough and it is so much faster and easier. Still a lot of work, but not what my grandmother had to go through!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 03:22 PM

6,057 posts, read 7,059,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Beg to differ with you on this one. We use a steak filling and a very thin dough.

Perhaps this is a regional thing.

I make the perogies my grandmother, who was born and raised in Poland, made.

Our dough is similar to the recipe listed, but is just flour, sour cream, and egg.

We roll it quite thin; if done properly, it is quite "stretchy" but still "sticky".

However, I have never seen a recipe for our filling, or heard of anyone who makes our filling.

We use sirloin steak, slow cooked. Then we chop it quite fine, add chopped onion, raw egg, liberal amounts of salt and pepper, and some of the juices from the cooked steak.

After filling the thin but strong dough, we boil, cool, and then fry in bacon grease. The only toppings are butter and salt.

This is the most delicious food in the world and I make a huge batch (2-3 lbs. of meat) and freeze for several meals worth.

I remember helping my grandmother chop the meat, knead and roll the dough, and pinch the perogies closed.

Now I use a Cuisinart food processor for the meat and a Kitchen Aid mixer for the dough and it is so much faster and easier. Still a lot of work, but not what my grandmother had to go through!
Sounds like a variety of pelmeni. Russian pelmeni recipe

Old 03-24-2011, 03:35 PM

5,738 posts, read 4,209,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Sounds like a variety of pelmeni. Russian pelmeni recipe
Interesting!

Except we do not use the pork and we cook the steak first, before filling.

The dough looks similar though.

Also, we are not Russian. Unless it was some part of Poland that Russia took over, or used to be part of Russia; the borders in that part of the world changed so frequently....

Old 03-24-2011, 05:37 PM

6,057 posts, read 7,059,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Interesting!

Except we do not use the pork and we cook the steak first, before filling.

The dough looks similar though.

Also, we are not Russian. Unless it was some part of Poland that Russia took over, or used to be part of Russia; the borders in that part of the world changed so frequently....
Russia controlled many parts of what is now Poland. My ancestors passed through there too. What's interesting is that many dishes people think are unique to their culture are part of a more general cultural tradition - such as the variations found within perogies and pelmeni within eastern Europe. Pelmeni doesn't have to have pork.

One example within my own heritage is that my people picked up the Ukrainian cabbage roll but because they were wealthier than the Ukrainians, they changed the meat-rice ratio in favour of meat.

Pork was often used in many recipes because it was cheaper than beef but when people became wealthier, they could substitute beef in certain dishes for pork.

Last edited by netwit; 03-24-2011 at 05:38 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 03-27-2011, 03:34 PM

8,210 posts, read 12,434,920 times
My mother makes what she calls vereniki. Honestly everywhere in central europe and beyond has some version variation. Then there are the changes made here in the US.
And honestly I don't think pot stickers are probably all that different. A plain rolled dough with some kind of filling then boiled or steamed, maybe fried afterward.

My mother made some with a rough mashed potatoe, a cottage cheese/farmers cheese if she could find it and a fried sauerkraut (my favorite). We sauted them with onions and peppers and ate with sour cream.
As for the dough - lots of variation there. Her's are only flour water and a little salt and rolled pretty thin. I've had the americanized version (my mother lived in the Ukraine till she was in her 20s) with egg and or other ing rolled thicker and I'm not a fan. Not what I'm used to.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:42 AM

1,271 posts, read 4,799,480 times
One of the best pierogi is a filling of dry curd cottage cheese, egg, sugar and vanilla. A desert pierogi. Yummy yopped with warm jam or a fruit sauce. Sort of like cheesecake or a blintz. Making me hungry lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes