U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2012, 08:47 AM

18,434 posts, read 30,829,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Oh Elle View Post
Wow, sad that no one answered you when you first posted it. Then again, I don't think it's common to own a juicer. You could try Google.

Here's one result:

7 Nutrition-Rich Juice Recipes - Health.com
Yep I don't know why it was brought back up, actually. I had a juicer in the past and a few people put a bunch of recipes up.

This time around I was juicing quite a bit but then my dr told me she would rather have me eat the whole fruit or vegetable than juicing it.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 11:53 AM

2,111 posts, read 7,431,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
This time around I was juicing quite a bit but then my dr told me she would rather have me eat the whole fruit or vegetable than juicing it.
I eat a lot of veggies, not as much fruit, but juicing or blending is a good supplement to the diet. A lot of us do not eat the required fruits and veggies per day, so IMO, this is good.

I eat 3 small meals and juice or blend a drink in between. I don't think doctors know healthy eating. Since I started juicing, my last blood work showed my Cholesterol went from 245 to 170, triglycerides came down too. Like what was said in Forks over knives, doctors don't like you healthy or dead, they like you right in the middle......LOL.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:40 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,036,588 times
A doctor telling someone not to juice? Seriously? I think doctors want us to be sick and fat.

Anyway, to answer the OP's question:
I have a Jack LaLane that I bought at Costco as a starter. I'm ready to move on because it is losing it's power after only about 4 months.

My favorite juice was found in the recipe book included with the juicer.
Sugarless lemonade: 2 cored red apples and 1/2 a lemon (including peel)

So refreshingly delicious during the hot summer months.

The other I'm not 100% sure, but it is some variation of sweet potato, an orange, and carrots. Probably an apple thrown in too.

I also drink vegetable juices, but prefer sweet juice so I usually throw in an apple or carrots.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:31 PM

I think I am going to start up with the juicing again. It seemed like I had a little more energy when I was juicing... My dr wanted me to have the fiber that the juicing didn't provide.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:43 PM

12,971 posts, read 24,947,771 times
Quote:
I think I am going to start up with the juicing again. It seemed like I had a little more energy when I was juicing...
I think that had to do with the fact that juices have a lot of available sugar, so you get a quick boost from a juice, rather than the slower uptake from whole food.

Quote:
My dr wanted me to have the fiber that the juicing didn't provide.
You do need balance. A certain amount of fiber is necessary for good digestive system operation. But juicing provides a way to concentrate specific foods. Sitting down to eat a pound of carrots would take me forever, while I can easily drink the juice from that same pound and drink it in minutes.

But that doesn't mean I should just juice all my carrots. Balance is everything!

Old 10-11-2012, 04:06 PM

288 posts, read 656,503 times
I just started juicing for blood pressure and I read that celery is the best thing for it.

However, I tried to drink it straight and nearly gagged - ugh. I may try juicing just 1-2 stalks with some green apples, ginger, and a lemon.

There's a ton of juicing recipes online with celery but gosh I am not used to all the green stuff - celery, kale, cucumber, etc. My stomach is not used to it. I think if I start off slow with the greens I may get used to it.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnTraveler View Post
I just started juicing for blood pressure and I read that celery is the best thing for it.

However, I tried to drink it straight and nearly gagged - ugh. I may try juicing just 1-2 stalks with some green apples, ginger, and a lemon.

There's a ton of juicing recipes online with celery but gosh I am not used to all the green stuff - celery, kale, cucumber, etc. My stomach is not used to it. I think if I start off slow with the greens I may get used to it.
I put celery in some of mine but I will tell you this, I have a hard time drinking things that look nasty. I have even added spinach. The green just is added in small quantities for me.

I think I am gonna juice tomorrow!

Old 10-11-2012, 09:30 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,431,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnTraveler View Post

Try the celery, 1-2 stalks, with spinach, granny smith apples, ginger, and I add cucumber, lemon and to make it sweeter, a carrot. I like juicing carrot, apple and orange for a sweet juice. I usually keep ginger cut up in the freezer and put it in everything as it's good for a lot of things. I don't have acid reflux anymore.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:48 PM

1,101 posts, read 1,551,072 times
I try and juice with what is available seasonally. So when you go to the store, get a lot of what seems to be grown locally and abundantly. We drank a lot a watermelon juice this past summer which should always be taken alone. Been juicing a lot of apples which I always balance with some type of green. You'd be amazed at how sweet kale is in a juicer. I'm still not able to tolerate straight vegetable juices just because I have a strong sweet tooth. Whenever a vegetable juice is too pungent, cutting with a whole cucumber does wonders. Other "cutters" are lemon and ginger.

I started off with the LaLane which I still use when I'm doing juicy fruits. I also have the Omega (2005?) which is better for leafy vegetables. Juice fiends consider the LaLane trash but I think it does it's job. It's a little slower than the Breville but that argument is that there is less damage to nutrients in the juice from heat production. Right now that is more than you need to know. Just do it. "let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food".

I go to YouTube and subscribe to "the life regenerator" whenever I need a shot in the arm. He also has demos and recipes. Be forewarned, he's hardcore but just may save your life, if you're willing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or