U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 12:19 PM

6,073 posts, read 7,074,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
At Whole Foods, they have scraps of different types of fish that they sell in a small deli container, makes an excellent fish chowder, using all types of fish, and it is cheap! Why buy a whole filet if you are making soup? This way it is already cut up, and it is really good fish chunks.
The closest real supermarket is a 30 minute drive away and while they have a lot of products, including live lobsters, clams and mussels, there are a lot of things they don't stock. To get better access to seafood, I have to drive over an hour away, one way, to a fish store, so a lot of the time I make do with what is local.

I've noticed in the stores here that there are a lot less fish varieties than there used to be and there are signs up all over the place about sustainable resources. In terms of fresh fish in my case that seems to mean sole, pickerel (walleye to you), sometimes red snapper, and cod. Not much variety in frozen fish either. No more orange roughy. No more sea bass, no more skate wings.

Not that I'm against sustainable resources, but judging by all the disappearing varieties I've noticed in the average grocery store, either something really alarming is going on, or they are having their customers on.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 04:10 PM

10,135 posts, read 24,494,050 times
And, Sam's Club has a cheap bag of frozen mix including shellfish as well which always add a lot of flavor to a stew. I toss the calamari pieces.

Really, a stick of butter, some lobster base (like Minor's above) a little white wine and a bag of Sam's mixed frozen fish peices and you're done.

Ooooh. walleye and snapper and sole. that would make a nice stew.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:09 PM

5,178 posts, read 4,853,095 times
I like fish dishes, seafood and seafood chowders but fish stew . Seems like it might be quite fishy. Please do post and let us know how it turns out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes