Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 03:09 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't recommend adding runny or loose jam of any kind into hamentashen. First off, it'll ruin the dough (since you dollop it before you bake it), and second, it'll melt out and burn the pan, and you'll end up with a folded piece of dough that's crushed in on itself and has nothing in it other than a little bit of gloppy purple somethingorother that smells like blackberry but doesn't really taste like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 08:51 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,223,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Here's a hamantaschen (HAH-men-TAH-shen) recipe that won the 2000 Minnesota State Fair Blue Ribbon, courtesy of Bnai Emet Synagogue in Minneapolis, MN (http://www.bnaiemet.org/living_jewishly/Recipes/purim/blue_ribbon_hamentachen.html - broken link)

Here's what you will need:

Cookie dough:
3 eggs
4 cups flour
1 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup oil
1/3 cup orange juice

Filling:
3 tablespoons orange filling (canned prune and apricot fillings were used for the State Fair entries).

Traditional fillings are poppy seed and prune. Apricot, apple butter, pineapple preserves, and cherry pie filling all work quite well.

For a special HONEY-NUT FILLING:

1 lb. of honey
1 lb. ground or chopped walnuts

Heat honey to boil, then stir in walnuts.

Oil a platter or board, pour walnut-honey mixture on platter or board and let cool.

When cool, cut into triangles (approximately 1" per side).

Here's what you need to do:

1. With an electric beater, beat eggs, adding sugar gradually.

2. Add oil and beat well.

3. Combine flour and baking powder; add to egg mixture alternatively with the orange juice. Mix well. You may need to add a drop more juice if you think it is too dry or a little more flour if you feel it is too loose.

4. Divide dough and wrap in waxed paper.

5. Chill dough for several hours.

6. Remove dough from refrigerator. On a lightly floured surface, using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll out dough to 1/8th inch thickness and cut into 2-1/2 inch circles.

7. Place a rounded teaspoon of filling or honey-nut triangles in each center.

8. Pinch edges together firmly to form a closed triangle over the filling.

9. Place on a non-stick sprayed cookie sheet.

Bake in a 350-degree oven for 18-20 minutes or until golden. Cool on a rack.
The honey and walnut filling sounds soooo good! I use a similar one for Potica.

About the orange filling, do you have a recipe for that? Is it something I can find in the kosher section at the grocery store?

Old 03-07-2012, 09:20 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
About the orange filling, do you have a recipe for that?
Sorry, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Is it something I can find in the kosher section at the grocery store?
I suspect, if available, it would be where the other fruit fillings would be located. If not, marmalade may work.

The folks who came up with the recipe were located in Minneapolis and it may be a regional item.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:23 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
My favorite filling (though gosh I haven't had these in years) is apricot jam.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:38 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,223,229 times
I love hamantaschen, with any filling. Too bad I don't love baking. I don't even own a rolling pin.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:28 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
I love hamantaschen, with any filling. Too bad I don't love baking. I don't even own a rolling pin.
A bottle of wine will do the trick!

Old 03-08-2012, 12:46 PM

6 posts, read 6,352 times
Smile Making Me Hungry!!!!!

I'm guessing this is a Jewish recipe and I haven't had the opportunity to try any of their foods yet. Sounds like I might be missing out! I've read this recipe and now I'm dying to try it. I think I'll first find a bakery that makes it so I can see for myself what it's supposed to look and taste like. Sure sounds yummy!

Old 03-08-2012, 01:16 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,120,327 times
Yum, the suggested fillings remind me of kolaches. I'll have to give this recipe a spin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes