U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 08:32 PM

18,286 posts, read 21,297,255 times

Advertisements

My family enjoys most new things I try but we did have a failure over a month ago. I was asked to please not make it again. I agreed it was not tasty at all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 10:50 PM

37,378 posts, read 45,516,807 times
My boyfriend is picky. He'll try something that I make that's new...IF he's positive it doesn't involve vegetables, legumes, potatoes, butter, milk, or cream. And if it's not a "combined" food like a casserole, dip, or soup.

I pretty much assume that most stuff I make, I'll be eating most of, of not all of, unless it's a fairly simple pasta dish, grilled cheese, or a plain, simple cheese pizza, or a heated up frozen food. He does seem to like stir fry, but only if it's light on the veggies, and more a fried rice.

I'm a pretty good cook...in the four years we've lived together, I've only made one thing that sticks out in my mind as not turning out well...a layered casserole involving lentils that didn't cook well and the lentils were a bad consistency. But for the most part, I don't have spectacular flops. I'm an experienced enough cook to know basically how to "save" any dish.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:26 AM

15,724 posts, read 19,074,966 times
My family will eat anything I put in front of them....except my 6yr old. He refuses to try new foods and in this house, that means you go hungry. His choice though, eventually he will eat something.

I make a few new recipes a week so they are used to it. Every so often I hear "hey mom, can we have (fill in the blank with an old favorite)...we haven't had that in a long time".

That's why Pea Soup made the menu this week. I think it's easily been a year since I've made it. I can guarantee you my 6yr old will not even dip his spoon in. Every once in a while though he falls for the "OMG, the last time I made this you LOVED it!" line.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:20 PM

3,039 posts, read 5,456,241 times
Before visiting New Orleans I rarely cooked, so when I did it was looked upon with a degree of trepidation, it has to be said. It's always been just hubby and myself. Nowadays, he eagerly awaits new stuff as well as his tried and true favorites. He also prefers what I make to store-bought or restaurant food (restaurants in Oz aren't anything to write home about anyway, in my experience).

One major failure was Summer Pudding. My version turned out to be 'A Clump of Cold Sugary Blueberries Surrounded by Sliced Bread in a Bowl'. Still not quite sure what happened there.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:21 PM

37,378 posts, read 45,516,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
My family will eat anything I put in front of them....except my 6yr old. He refuses to try new foods and in this house, that means you go hungry. His choice though, eventually he will eat something.
This will be the house rule when I have kids. The main reason my boyfriend's so picky is because nobody in his family bothered to expose him to any variety of foods as a child. That didn't happen in the household I grew up in, and it won't happen with my kids. You don't have to like everything, but you do have to try it, or you're gonna be hungry. I also will teach my kids to cook from a young age, just as I was taught. S.O. learned how to cook perfect al dente pasta, I'll give him that. But other than that, he's strictly a warm up the frozen foods, heat what's in a can or jar in a saucepan king. Nobody cooked for him, or with him. He was raised on convenience food.

I do life skills training with severely disabled kids as part of my workday, and I know how to pare a recipe down to basics and help a kid gain ownership of feeding him or herself. I'll have no problem doing that with my own kids.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:46 PM

6,063 posts, read 7,069,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
My family enjoys most new things I try but we did have a failure over a month ago. I was asked to please not make it again. I agreed it was not tasty at all.
In Home Ec in seventh grade, we had to make some kind of stuffed hamburgers - I think the recipe was called 'Burger Bundles.' It was in a casserole dish though.

I thought it was delicious and therefore decided to make the recipe for supper for my family. My Mom pointed me to the bag of frozen self-made 'bread crumbs.'

One bite and everyone was discretely trying not to choke or spit it out, including myself. A few days later my mom realized that what she had passed on to me as bread crumbs were not in fact bread crumbs, but some sort of cookie or cake crumbs she had kept for use in...?

I was so traumatized, I never made that recipe again. Gawd, it was BAD.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:35 PM

18,286 posts, read 21,297,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I was so traumatized, I never made that recipe again. Gawd, it was BAD.
Oh that must of tasted awful! I kick myself in the rear when a recipe fails to the extreme of no saving it. Hate wasting food goes back to my younger days of my mother saying "you're wasting food when children all over the world would eat it" I suppose. That still sticks in my head today never said it to my kids thankfully to get imprinted in their minds.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:01 PM

10,018 posts, read 11,176,787 times
Oh ya for sure. They are there sitting at the table like a pack of hungry hounds. I know what kinds of things they like or don't and in 21 years of cooking for them I think I maybe made 2 or 3 things that didn't work out. Now that they are all grown up and gone the first thing they do when they visit is go looking for some leftovers. I've never really gotten used to cooking for two and always make too much. My wife loves my cooking too and since she is on a diet right now that gives me the excuse to try a lot of new low cal things.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:47 AM

515 posts, read 649,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Oh ya for sure. They are there sitting at the table like a pack of hungry hounds. I know what kinds of things they like or don't and in 21 years of cooking for them I think I maybe made 2 or 3 things that didn't work out. Now that they are all grown up and gone the first thing they do when they visit is go looking for some leftovers. I've never really gotten used to cooking for two and always make too much. My wife loves my cooking too and since she is on a diet right now that gives me the excuse to try a lot of new low cal things.
Oh, you made me chuckle about your now grown kids looking for leftovers...that happens right here at my house too!

When my son was about 12 or so someone asked him what his favorite food was and, without a seconds hesitation, he said "leftovers".

I've always adored the fact that my two think that I'm the best cook on Planet Earth especially since I only learned to cook when they were mere babies...and with the sole aid of an old Betty Crocker cookbook.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:55 AM

7,085 posts, read 5,963,229 times
When I was growing up, at home - NEVER. My grandmother (who lived with us) was horrid to me when I was 12 or 13 and wanted to cook supper, to try something new I saw in a magazine or a cookbook. She would prompt my younger siblings to say they didn't like it, even if they did, and mock me at the table. I can hear her say, "Bobby doesn't like it. You don't like it, Bobby, do you?" Or, "Look at Timmy's face, he doesn't like that fancy food!" Or "Spit it out, if you don't like it." I'd usually leave the table in tears. It wasn't like I was serving them snails, or anything.

Now, my DH and daughters would give me rave reviews if I fixed boiled shoe leather!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes