U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-04-2011, 04:11 PM
 
Location: NW Indiana
41,703 posts, read 16,410,262 times
Reputation: 106902

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Easy. Throw the shrimp in a pot, add heavy cream to BARELY cover, bring to a boil, quickly add cornstarch mixed with milk to thicken, toss in some seasoned croutons, stir and take off the heat to cool. Sorry, I'm a bit of a Julia Child sort of chef but you want the mix to be not too liquid but not too thick. To add a little pizzaz you can add a sparing amount of Goya picante seasoning and a touch of lobster base such as Minors. The mix is VERY adaptable where the addition of more or less is concerned. Taste!

When it's cooled, lay out the flounder filets, spread with the mix and roll 'em up, place them in a pre-buttered baking pan close together. If the pan is too large that the filets can't belly up together you can anchor the filet and stuffing with toothpicks. Preheat your oven to 350, drizzle - don't soak - the stuffed filets with a white wine such as Chardonnay (or even a sweet dessert wine such as a Sauterne), pop the pan into the oven and they should be done in about 10 minutes or so.

You can test done-ness with a toothpick but always remember that fish, like good beef, should never be overcooked.

I'd serve this with a simple mixed baby green or mesclun salad with a vidalia onion or lemon herb dressing.

Hope I've been of some help but as a restaurant owner, sole chef, bottle washer, toilet cleaner and floor mopper and general maintenance doer I do what I do and am simply incapable of giving you a recipe that requires a teaspoon of this and a teaspoon of that! Cheers!
OMG, I want that! It sounds delicious! I'm going to try your recipe one of these days, STT. Thanks for sharing your expertise!

Edit: Better yet, why don't I just pay you a visit in St. Thomas, and you can prepare it for me?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-04-2011, 06:03 PM
 
Location: LI/VA/IL
2,480 posts, read 4,844,877 times
Reputation: 6658
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
OMG, I want that! It sounds delicious! I'm going to try your recipe one of these days, STT. Thanks for sharing your expertise!

Edit: Better yet, why don't I just pay you a visit in St. Thomas, and you can prepare it for me?
OMG-love the recipe!! As I can't get flounder out here in the midwest-I think I would love to have it in STT's restaurant in St Thomas
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2011, 08:06 AM
 
Location: St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
24,671 posts, read 62,541,799 times
Reputation: 26593
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKVA View Post
OMG-love the recipe!! As I can't get flounder out here in the midwest-I think I would love to have it in STT's restaurant in St Thomas
You can use any white fish filet - I've made it with grouper and tilapia, for instance. Regularly on my menu is a similar mix but including scallops and crabmeat along with the shrimp but without the croutons which I pack into commercially available crepes and microwave for a couple of minutes until heated through. Pretty yummy!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2011, 01:19 PM
 
Location: State of Washington (2016)
4,119 posts, read 2,778,637 times
Reputation: 16373
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
You can use any white fish filet - I've made it with grouper and tilapia, for instance. Regularly on my menu is a similar mix but including scallops and crabmeat along with the shrimp but without the croutons which I pack into commercially available crepes and microwave for a couple of minutes until heated through. Pretty yummy!
I tried this recipe last night and it was delicious! Everyone enjoyed it. Thanks so much for sharing. I hope you'll post a few more.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2011, 05:54 PM
 
Location: LI/VA/IL
2,480 posts, read 4,844,877 times
Reputation: 6658
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
You can use any white fish filet - I've made it with grouper and tilapia, for instance. Regularly on my menu is a similar mix but including scallops and crabmeat along with the shrimp but without the croutons which I pack into commercially available crepes and microwave for a couple of minutes until heated through. Pretty yummy!
Thanks STT for your reply-we have tilapia here-have never tried it.What does it equate to as far as texture to a salt water fish??
I still think I rather take a trip to St Thomas and taste it in your restaurant-lol
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2011, 04:16 PM
 
Location: St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
24,671 posts, read 62,541,799 times
Reputation: 26593
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKVA View Post
Thanks STT for your reply-we have tilapia here-have never tried it.What does it equate to as far as texture to a salt water fish??
I still think I rather take a trip to St Thomas and taste it in your restaurant-lol
It's a fish adaptable to many different recipes and, because it's easy to raise in big tanks and thus fails to fall into the endangered or otherwise ecologically compromised zone, it so far remains affordable. As far as texture compared to a similar salt water white fish I see no big difference. It's meaty and tender but, as I mentioned earlier, fish shouldn't be overcooked and the filets are a bit skinny so cooking times should be adjusted accordingly. Hope that helps and maybe I'll see you on STT one of these fine days and help you enjoy some good home-cooked grub! Cheers!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2011, 03:08 PM
 
Location: Silver Springs, FL
23,417 posts, read 33,352,336 times
Reputation: 15560
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Easy. Throw the shrimp in a pot, add heavy cream to BARELY cover, bring to a boil, quickly add cornstarch mixed with milk to thicken, toss in some seasoned croutons, stir and take off the heat to cool. Sorry, I'm a bit of a Julia Child sort of chef but you want the mix to be not too liquid but not too thick. To add a little pizzaz you can add a sparing amount of Goya picante seasoning and a touch of lobster base such as Minors. The mix is VERY adaptable where the addition of more or less is concerned. Taste!

When it's cooled, lay out the flounder filets, spread with the mix and roll 'em up, place them in a pre-buttered baking pan close together. If the pan is too large that the filets can't belly up together you can anchor the filet and stuffing with toothpicks. Preheat your oven to 350, drizzle - don't soak - the stuffed filets with a white wine such as Chardonnay (or even a sweet dessert wine such as a Sauterne), pop the pan into the oven and they should be done in about 10 minutes or so.

You can test done-ness with a toothpick but always remember that fish, like good beef, should never be overcooked.

I'd serve this with a simple mixed baby green or mesclun salad with a vidalia onion or lemon herb dressing.

Hope I've been of some help but as a restaurant owner, sole chef, bottle washer, toilet cleaner and floor mopper and general maintenance doer I do what I do and am simply incapable of giving you a recipe that requires a teaspoon of this and a teaspoon of that! Cheers!
So, I made this last weekend, with a bit of a twist.
I worked according to your initial idea, but instead of the Goya, I added fresh tarragon from the garden, some orange zest, and dry white vermouth over the fish.
Served it with mesclun and arugula salad with a homemade tarragon vinaigrette and some local heirloom tomatoes.......wow........
Thank you!!!!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:10 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top