U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2011, 04:36 PM

40,287 posts, read 49,806,394 times

Advertisements

I've heard them called gnocchi, but that's not what I mean. I mean those little pouches filled with a mushroom mixture, or whatever, filling in them. I think of them as italian, but they're really more like those Chinese dumplings.
We used to go to a certain restaurant where they supposedly made them, and they were delicate little pouches, served in a bath of butter and I think of them often.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 03:26 PM

13,771 posts, read 23,056,444 times
Was it by chance pierogies?

Old 04-06-2011, 07:20 AM

438 posts, read 1,566,349 times
It sounds like you are talking about ravioli's ??? If so pasta is just made from flour and eggs. See below for a simple recipe. You can fill them with whatever you like then just boil them for a few minutes..

1 cUnbleached flour
1 pnSalt
1 Egg; beaten
Warm water

Preparation

Mix flour & salt in a bowl, & make a well in the center. Add the egg & using a fork begin to incorporate flour from the edges. When the flour & egg are mixed cautiously add a few drops of water. Dont let it get sticky. Form a rough ball with the dough & turn out onto a lightly floured bread board. Add more water by the dropfull to encourage the dough to remain in a ball, but at this stage it should still seem stiff & rather dry. Begin to knead, flattening the ball with the heel of your hand, grasping them at the squashed circle of dough at a point analogous to 3:00, rotating that point a 1/4 turn to noon. Still grasping that point, fold the dough over on itself, & begin the cycle again by flattening the new mound. Continue to knead in rhythmic, meditative earnest for about 10 minutes. When dough is firm, warm, smooth & elastic, place it in a clean bowl, cover it with a damp cloth & let it relax for 45 minutes. Assembly: Roll out dough [using a pasta machine unless you are more crazy than I am. I did it once by hand. That was one time too many.] until very thin [thinnest setting on machine. Thats a 7 on my Atlas.] Cut it into two & a half" squares. Place a tsp. of filling on each square. Moisten two contiguous sides of the square with a little warm water. Fold the other two sides over to meet them, forming a triangle-shaped ravioli. Pinch the moistened & unmoistened sides together firmly. Place on a cookie sheet on which you have sprinkled a little cornmeal or semolina so they dont stick. (They can wait at room temperature for a couple of hours before cooking.) Cook them in a large kettle of boiling salted water for 2-3 minutes or until the sealed edges are barely tender

Old 04-06-2011, 08:44 AM

Thank you both, but they were not raviolis or pierogis. One menu called their's Sacchetti, and described them as "wild mushroom filled pasta purses..."
After searching the internet, it sounds as though maybe they use ravioli dough for them. It seemed to me that these "purses" were much more delicate than ravioli.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:53 AM

4,196 posts, read 5,567,084 times
Sounds more like dim-sum or something of the sorts.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:01 AM

11,715 posts, read 18,604,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Thank you both, but they were not raviolis or pierogis. One menu called their's Sacchetti, and described them as "wild mushroom filled pasta purses..."
After searching the internet, it sounds as though maybe they use ravioli dough for them. It seemed to me that these "purses" were much more delicate than ravioli.
Never heard about them before, but this website explains the difference.

Maria's Handmade, Gourmet Tortelloni

Old 04-06-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Never heard about them before, but this website explains the difference.

Maria's Handmade, Gourmet Tortelloni
That is a great website. I think I really want the stuffed gnocchi. Maybe I'll order some.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:20 PM

13,771 posts, read 23,056,444 times
This thread has reminded me of a recipe I came across on Pioneer Woman's website - she takes such great photos and the recipes are fool-proof.

Phyllo Mushroom Bundles | The Pioneer Woman Cooks | Ree Drummond

Old 04-08-2011, 03:53 PM

2,065 posts, read 4,373,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Aren't they fagottini?!
Fagottini means something like "little sacks" and they really look like little pouches. The link I found does not have a very clear picture, but if you google it you will find many pics, let me know if they are the ones you are looking for.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:37 AM

2,940 posts, read 4,843,658 times
I think you're thinking of beggars purses. Classic recipes use crepes, and you can fill them with anything. Recipes are online. Asian restaurants do beggars purses too, but with wonton wrappers, and sometimes they're fried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or