Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 08:44 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times

Advertisements

I suggested this to my husband. He's been very unhappy with his "ugly" omelettes.

He would probably just put some cheese in his, does anybody have a recipe for a smaller one that is designed as a meal for one? We have an 8 inch skillet he could use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 04:38 PM

133 posts, read 281,089 times
Default Fritatta recipes

"does anybody have a recipe for a smaller one that is designed as a meal for one?"

One of the beauties of a fritatta is that it's extremely scalable.

Allow 2 eggs, 2 oz of meat (if meat is in the recipe) and ~1/4 cup of vegetables per person. You can serve from 1 to X with the basic proportions.
[LEFT]
[/LEFT]

Old 04-11-2011, 07:10 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times
The other nice thing about frittatas is that they make really good leftovers, so even if you make a four-egg one in a 10" skillet, you can use it all. Take a hunk of frittata in your lunch and you'll be set for the afternoon. If you want to make something that my father-in-law called a St. Paul Sandwich, put the leftover wedge of frittata between a couple of slices of toasted bread smeared with mayonnaise. Sounds weird, I know, but it's amazingly tasty.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:51 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I made one for breakfast this morning...

I used eggs, half & half, a little shredded cheddar, and some previously sauteed mushroom slices, green pepper strips, and yellow squash medallions that didn't go in last night's pasta. I seasoned with Mrs. Dash. It was good, but I'm thinking that in order to make a frittata in the way I'd most like it, I'm gonna HAVE to forgo the stove-top technique and at least finish it in the oven (not a huge fan of the softer top). But I don't have an ovenproof skillet at the moment other than my Lodge, and I have a real love-hate relationship with cast iron, so I'm probably not gonna bust it out anytime soon.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:02 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Zucchini.

Coat a nonstick pan with olive oil, add thinly sliced zucchini to cover the bottom of the pan. Cook until translucent. Thin the eggs a little with water or milk (if you want it more fluffy), and pour the egg mixture in. I use 3 eggs for one serving, 5 for two.

As the eggs thicken, tilt the pan and slide a thin spatula under the cooked egg, allowing the uncooked egg to slide to the bottom of the pan. Turn the pan around as you repeat. When most of the egg is cooked, slide the frittata onto a plate, and then flip it back into the pan so that the cooked side is up. Cook it for a minute or two over low heat. Voila.

Top with parmesan cheese and hot pepper flakes, if you dare.l

Old 04-12-2011, 04:50 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Awesome.

I've been using a 10-inch cast iron skillet on the stove top, then finishing with a minute or so under the broiler.

Also I use red pepper flakes liberally on just about everything, even if all I'm doing is nuking a frozen dinner! I've also discovered that drizzling hot sauce (Tabasco etc) over cold frittata slices is quite yummy. I'm going to the store after work today and will pick up ingredients for MBW's Italian sausage one.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:03 AM

438 posts, read 1,699,587 times
Made one last night with left over grilled chicken. Cubed up the chicken, chopped some onion, roasted red pepper (from a jar), and jalapeno. Sauted the onion and jalapeno in some olive oil till tender then added the red pepper and cubed chicken just to warm them up a bit and added feta cheese at the last second. It was a tasty combo. I know it's weird to have cooked chicken and egg together but it works!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes