U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 09:07 PM

6,191 posts, read 16,318,012 times

Advertisements

Spurred on by some new York Times frittata recipes - here's their basic frittata technique - I have discovered this excellent and versatile food....not only is it easy to make, a great way to use up about-to-wilt vegetables and really good cold for lunch at work, it's a pretty healthful meal. I've made a couple of great ones and a couple of duds that turned out dry or not very good (I have dogs that enjoy just about anything, luckily, so never a complete waste.)

The internet is awash with frittata recipes but I'm wondering if anyone has some tried and true favourites, or tips for good consistency? It's my new favourite food to make and I figured I'd make some tomorrow, any ideas beyond the spinach/cheese/onion ones? I need to branch out!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 09:24 PM

5,683 posts, read 9,492,335 times
I couldn't agree with you more! Frittatas are a great breakfast-for-supper alternative, and the leftovers are wonderful for lunch. I'll have to point MRBookworm, the frittata king of our household, in this direction to share specific tips and details, but I can offer you a few alternative ideas for stuff to put in 'em:

Asparagus
Mushrooms
Peppers, both fresh and roasted
Chorizo
Bacon
Sausage
Ham
Potatoes
Ramps - a wild leek that is only found for a few weeks in the spring

Most or all of those should be at least partially precooked before adding to the frittata, of course. Raw mushrooms lose a lot of water as they cook, and they'll make your frittata soggy if you don't saute them ahead of time. When we make boiled or baked potatoes or home-fries, we often make extra so we can use some of the leftovers in a frittata the next day.

When you mention cheese, what varieties have you tried? Feta cheese is one of our favorites in a frittata, especially with spinach and green onions. Mozzarella is really good, too. And we get a garlic cheddar at the Farmers' Market that is simply awesome in a frittata.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 04-09-2011 at 09:58 PM..

Old 04-09-2011, 09:40 PM

I've been wanting to try asparagus...for some reason leeks never got really cheap this spring (I have been known to eat practically nothing but asparagus for days on end when it's .99/lb!)

mmm. Roasted peppers...I see possibility there! Thanks to Ms and Mr Bookworm for any other ideas!

So far I've tried parmesan, mild cheddar and mozarella. Feta is one of my favourite cheeses but I have yet to experiment more with cheese....there is a cheese guy at my farmers market I'm overdue in visiting, come to think of it.

Your post made me think that sweet potatoes/ancho chilis and cheese might be a good combo...maybe with a little spicy sausage or chorizo (I am not a big meat-eater but am a huge fan of good sausage.) Dang I am getting hungry now.

I should add that I am single and don't usually get creative with cooking since I divorced, but I have a friend with cancer who has a hard time eating (no appetite) but should ideally be eating a high protein, low-carb diet. So I've been looking for things to cook that I can share that would also be good in that regard....that's how I stumbled across frittata which is my new favourite thing to eat!

Old 04-09-2011, 09:49 PM

2,065 posts, read 4,391,569 times
I like what we call "mosaic frittata", with different and colorful ingredients.

Try dotting it with chevre - for a tangier taste - or shaved Gouda or Emmental for a mellower one.
Saute spinach with garlic or mushrooms with onions and add them to the frittata.

You can also make rotolo di frittata, which is a rolled-up frittata, almost like a jelly roll.

My favorite chef for frittata is Mario Batali, he has some great recipes for it.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:55 PM

5,683 posts, read 9,492,335 times
You know, while I was typing my earlier post, sweet potatoes crossed my mind, and I thought to myself "I wonder why we've never tried those before." I wouldn't suggest something that I don't know from experience to be good, but the fact that you thought of sweet potatoes as well suggests that some experimentation might be in order. Love the idea of using ancho chilis with them, too. And a good chorizo (Spanish chorizo by preference, which is more like pepperoni than anything else) would be an excellent complement to it.

Since you mention having a farmers' market near you, you might see if you can find a meat vendor who has sausage or bacon or ham for sale. We don't eat an awful lot of meat either, but what we do eat comes straight from the farmer who raised the animals it came from. We get beef bacon from him that is simply to die for (excellent in a frittata), the leanest and most wonderful pork sausage you can imagine, and ham that isn't chock-full of water, preservatives and extra salt. It really makes a difference in a frittata, or anything you cook.

MRBookworm is long since snoring, but I suspect he'll chime in in the morning with some suggestions of his own. And I'm betting that a frittata is going to be part of this week's dinner plans - which is a *GOOD* thing!

Old 04-09-2011, 10:09 PM

I have never even heard of beef bacon, didn't think beeves were fatty enough. LOL.

I am in a cultural wasteland as far as some foods (such as real Mexican/Spanish chorizo) goes but I can probably make do. The nearest really excellent year 'round farmers market (Flint) has some meat vendors but I think they mainly sell chicken, and, ummm, chicken. If I venture a little further south I can find really good halal/middle eastern markets though...is there such a thing as lamb bacon, I wonder?

I'm intrigued by my notion (spurred by your suggestion!) of sweet potatoes, ancho chilies and chorizo frittata though...that may be tomorrow's evening project. The local Kroger has a decent selection of hispanic foods.

I have been comtemplating some sort of smoked salmon/cream cheese/caper concoction too. But I can't decide if that would be unspeakably horrible, or really good.

I look forward to MRBookworm's insight as well!

Old 04-09-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
I like what we call "mosaic frittata", with different and colorful ingredients.

Try dotting it with chevre - for a tangier taste - or shaved Gouda or Emmental for a mellower one.
Saute spinach with garlic or mushrooms with onions and add them to the frittata.

You can also make rotolo di frittata, which is a rolled-up frittata, almost like a jelly roll.

My favorite chef for frittata is Mario Batali, he has some great recipes for it.
Oh my. I googled rotolo di frittata. Woo hoo. That looks like a very impressive thing to bring to a pot-luck.

The last one I made, I sauteed spinach, paper-thin-sliced carrots and a red onion in olive oil, then dumped in a bunch of parmesan and tarragon. I never thought of topping it with cheese...gouda would've been good with that!

Old 04-10-2011, 09:21 AM

8,092 posts, read 13,922,327 times
I basically open the fridge and/or pantry to see what needs to be used up. Combine and experiment

Only one complete failure so far - left-over Gallo pepperoni slices didn't go over well at all

Old 04-10-2011, 11:25 AM

133 posts, read 246,306 times
Default Fritatta Recipe

I was delighted to discover the "fritatta technique", because I've never been able to make an omlet that didn't look like someone stepped on it halfway through cooking.

Here's one I modified from a recipe on the Food Network. The original would have fed at least 12 folks for breakfast.

Sausage, Red Pepper and Feta Cheese Fritatta

1 Tbs olive oil
1/4 cup chopped onions
1/4 lb Italian sausage - bulk or with case removed
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 cup chopped roasted red peppers
4 large eggs
1 Tbs heavy cream (or milk)
1/4 cup crumbled Feta Cheese
Salt & Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 325. Heat large skillet (I prefer a 10" cast iron pan). Add olive oil, then saute onions, sausage, garlic and oregano together. Once sausage has browned, add red peppers and cook another 10 minutes.

Whisk together eggs, cream, Feta salt and pepper. Pour over sausage mixture and bake for 35 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before serving.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:41 AM

Yum! Thank you MRBookworm!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or