U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 11:32 AM

13,779 posts, read 23,153,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Well, I thought I had seen it all and yet yesterday I was served the following:

Vegetable Soup
two cans green giant string beans
two cans green giant corn
two cans hunt's diced tomatoes
one large can Spicy V8 juice

heat until warm in a soup pan

anyone think they can top that with something a live human actually served to guests?
Sounds like a place I would not be accepting invitations to going forward. The parents of a guy my sis was dating invited her over for lunch to meet her. They served a soup that was made by adding the contents of an envelope to boiling water. Unbeknownst to the "cook" the envelope's contents had been infested with some sort of little bug critters while it was sitting in her pantry awaiting its "big day" so they were cooked right in. The little dead bugs floated around on the surface of the soup. Bon appetit!

P.S. I cannot fathom why people eat canned vegetables and fruit. If they can't afford fresh (or it's out of season) then what is wrong with frozen? At least frozen veggies when cooked can still be palatable. I cringe at the thought of having to eat green beans that have been cooked to mush and sitting in a can on a store shelf.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 05:36 PM

6,191 posts, read 16,314,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
They served a soup that was made by adding the contents of an envelope to boiling water. Unbeknownst to the "cook" the envelope's contents had been infested with some sort of little bug critters while it was sitting in her pantry awaiting its "big day" so they were cooked right in. The little dead bugs floated around on the surface of the soup. Bon appetit!

Old 05-01-2011, 07:35 PM

5,179 posts, read 4,870,387 times
Quote:
Sounds like a place I would not be accepting invitations to going forward. The parents of a guy my sis was dating invited her over for lunch to meet her. They served a soup that was made by adding the contents of an envelope to boiling water. Unbeknownst to the "cook" the envelope's contents had been infested with some sort of little bug critters while it was sitting in her pantry awaiting its "big day" so they were cooked right in. The little dead bugs floated around on the surface of the soup. Bon appetit!
It sounds so gross and pathetic that it is laughable. Nothing like a little extra protein.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:09 PM

515 posts, read 650,275 times
Lemme tell ya about the grossest soup of all time...

15 year old son was home alone for a whole weekend for the first time ever, it's winter time and he decides to make pot of soup...split pea ...because he had never had eaten it so he calls me for the recipe and I say "oh, split pea and ham, go on over to the Winn Dixie and the recipe will be on the back of the pack of split peas" but he heard "split pea and lamb"; being from the South he really should have known better.

He bought 6 lamb chops for the soup.

Later that night he calls wanting to know how anyone could possibly eat that stuff!

PS. He did turn out to be a really good cook despite the years of teasing.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:37 PM

27,090 posts, read 7,662,007 times
True story from a few years back.....Husband's brother asked the two of us and their mom over for Thanksgiving. His wife said don't bring anything....so we just took wine etc.

Well, no. 1, SIL is from another country. But still....well there was a store-bought turkey but this is what else we were served for Thanksgiving:

Several different large boxes of Stouffer's frozen meals..... green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, spiced apples...all recently from the microwave and served with the Stouffer's boxes cut open to allow for dishing out the goods.....

I had to leave the room.....very hard to keep from laughing outright. MIL was SO annoyed and not impressed. But we all kept it together and had a fun meal! It really did not matter at all!

Moral: it is not what is served for dinner but who you are with that counts. But OMG, it was indeed funny.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:18 AM

42,661 posts, read 78,033,632 times
My mother once told me that she had found a recipe on a jar of peanut butter, for peanut butter soup, and thought that was the worst idea she had ever heard of.

However, I've since learned that Peanut Soup is very common in Africa, it is absolutely delicious, and can be made easily from peanut butter. Peanut is a cheap and common staple in many parts of Africa, appearing in almost every dish, and it adds nutrition and a wonderful flavor to many soups, along with banana and unsweetened chocolate.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:42 AM

984 posts, read 1,453,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
My mother once told me that she had found a recipe on a jar of peanut butter, for peanut butter soup, and thought that was the worst idea she had ever heard of.

However, I've since learned that Peanut Soup is very common in Africa, it is absolutely delicious, and can be made easily from peanut butter. Peanut is a cheap and common staple in many parts of Africa, appearing in almost every dish, and it adds nutrition and a wonderful flavor to many soups, along with banana and unsweetened chocolate.
I've had peanut soup before. If made properly, it's actually quite yummy And remember, peanuts are cousins to peas...we eat pea soup, right? (With the exception of the split pea and lamb soup above )

Last edited by grneyedmustang; 05-05-2011 at 11:52 AM..

Old 05-05-2011, 09:08 PM

512 posts, read 839,157 times
Quote:
Gross!! This thread gets worse as it grows lol

Old 05-06-2011, 04:28 PM

18,847 posts, read 33,580,582 times
Several different large boxes of Stouffer's frozen meals..... green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, spiced apples...all recently from the microwave and served with the Stouffer's boxes cut open to allow for dishing out the goods.....

Ummm...what is wrong with that?! My kids would think that is fine. Of course, when they were growing up, I worked a full time job, a part time job, and went to graduate school part time.

I think that I have forgot how to cook, I look at the stove, and vaguely remember that it heats things...I think you need a pan or something. I have not used an oven in years...honestly!

Old 05-06-2011, 04:55 PM

23,417 posts, read 33,349,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

Ummm...what is wrong with that?! My kids would think that is fine. Of course, when they were growing up, I worked a full time job, a part time job, and went to graduate school part time.

I think that I have forgot how to cook, I look at the stove, and vaguely remember that it heats things...I think you need a pan or something. I have not used an oven in years...honestly!
For a family Thanksgiving dinner?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or