U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2011, 07:08 PM

3,724 posts, read 8,526,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
1 can salmon (I remove the skin and bones)
1 med egg
flour
Put salmon and liquid from can in bowl and use a fork to break salmon into small peices. Add egg and enough flour so that it is not runny. Mix. Fry in hot shortening. I didn't give a measure for the flour because the ammount of liquid varies from can to can.
The skin and bones of canned salmon are a great source of calcium. They aren't like the bones in any cooked fresh fish, they mush up beautifully.

Just about any recipe that uses canned tuna will work for canned salmon. The one thing to remember is that salmon is somewhat stronger in flavor than tuna (or any white fish), so if the stronger flavor bothers you, just use less.

As for salmon patties, I use a can of salmon with chopped onion, mashed potatoes, and a couple eggs. Salmon burgers, yum!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 07:33 PM

14,007 posts, read 14,743,411 times
It's pretty good as a dip too.

I never actually make the same recipe twice, (depending on the ingredients I have at the time, I always substitute here and there)

But usually mix a can of salmon with diced tomato, onion, jalepeno, spinach, and stir in a combination of mayo & mustard (cream cheese is good too!) I like to add a dash of this wasabi horseradish stuff I have for a little kick. +spices, of course.

Eaten fresh w/ crackers.

It's real quick and keeps well in the fridge. But it goes fast!

Old 05-10-2011, 07:50 PM

2,192 posts, read 6,477,427 times
I have a great codfish cakes recipe that will also work good with salmon.

Codfish Cakes

1 cup steamed codfish, drained and flaked
2 cups mashed potatoes, about 1 lb potatoes pealed, boiled and mashed
1/2 onion minced
1 green onion minced
1/8 cup flour, plus a little extra for coating cakes
1 egg
1/2 tsp minced Italian parsley
salt and pepper to taste
oil for frying

Combine all ingredients except extra flour.
Form into cakes, dust with flour and set aside in the refrigerator for about an hour. This will keep the cakes from falling apart when frying.
Heat 1/4 to 1/2 cup oil in a cast iron skillet.
Cook cakes until brown flipping once, three to five minutes per side.
Drain on paper towels and serve while still hot.

busta

Old 05-12-2011, 01:58 PM

10,915 posts, read 10,194,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
1 can salmon (I remove the skin and bones)
1 med egg
flour
Put salmon and liquid from can in bowl and use a fork to break salmon into small peices. Add egg and enough flour so that it is not runny. Mix. Fry in hot shortening. I didn't give a measure for the flour because the ammount of liquid varies from can to can.
This is very similar to how my Mom always made/makes salmon croquettes. I think she just drained the liquid totally out, then put the salmon in a bowl with an egg and about a Tablespoon of flour, salt and pepper. Form into balls, and deep fry. They end up looking like hushpuppies, kind of. (We remove the skin and bones too!)

Old 05-19-2011, 08:35 AM

77,305 posts, read 90,018,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
I'm looking for some good recipes for canned salmon.

For fun tonight I tried one that is basicly canned salmon, milk, soup, butter and flour, little cheese, peas and carrots,topped with biscuits and baked in the oven. Well it ended up horribly salty, yuck! I'm pretty sure if I vary it to include something besides salty soup it might taste ok.
Doesn't sound to appealing. I have played around with canned salmon for years and finally found the perfect pattie (of we think it is the perfect one) go to Food Network .com and look for Melissa's recipes. It was one of the first ones she did after winning the "future star" competition a couple years ago. I would give it to you, but I am not sure of the exact measurements as I cook pretty much by the seat of my pants. It is really good though. I would cut back on the milk she uses just to make them a little drier. This has always been a problem with salmon patties, the ability to keep them tasty and yet not too gummy or soft.

Also like to use the small cans mixed with a little cream cheese and green or finely chopped white onions: makes a good dip with crackers or rye bread.
Nita

Old 09-27-2012, 01:34 PM

10,915 posts, read 10,194,248 times
Nita - I found that recipe and it looks good! Definitely a keeper!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes