U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2020, 06:01 PM

27,237 posts, read 17,613,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
I need a really good recipe, also.
I used Bisquick...they were ho-hum tp me.
I LOVE IHOPS waffles.
Homemade is the way to go. Someone told me she uses eggs and a whipped egg white that she folds in. That might be the key, not sure.
I had a waffle yesterday with strawberries...no syrup. It was great.
Traditional waffles folded egg whites into a batter just before griddling. But I used to make mine with just a regular batter, and they turned out fine.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2020, 08:53 PM

7,720 posts, read 4,394,374 times
They do turn out fine without whipping the egg whites. But I make waffles so seldom and they are a significant amount of fuss that I figure I might as well take the extra time and dirty the extra bowl to get that fluffier, crispier effect.

Mine also call for quite a bit of melted butter.

The recipe is an old family one. My Aunt Laura used to have us over on Sunday nights for waffles along with her family of five children and she'd stand and make waffles forever. I never realized what a gift of love that was at the time. In fact it's one of the miserable things about feeding a family waffles - I always get a soggy, oven-warmed one!

I've got to admit though that no matter what I do I still haven't gotten the hang of making that first waffle come out of the iron nice.

Any tricks I haven't tried I wonder?

Old 07-27-2020, 01:08 PM

685 posts, read 466,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
An extremely good waffle recipe is H.R.M.'s waffles. It should come up if you google it.

In the past few years my favorite waffle recipe is America's Test Kitchen's "Overnight Yeast Waffles." OMG, so easy and so good!

The only difficult part of the recipe is that you must plan ahead. If you want waffles on Sunday morning you need to whip up the batter on Saturday night and park the batter in the fridge for 12 to 24 hours.

In the past 2 or 3 weeks ATK has made their children's site free. They have recipe posted on the kid's site because they're so easy to make, even an 8-year-old can make a waffle that will blow your mind. LOL!

The recipe is here: https://www.americastestkitchen.com/...rnight-waffles

Old 07-27-2020, 01:50 PM

31,168 posts, read 67,984,889 times
Have some fun sometime ... make some BIFFLE's.
That's biscuit dough cooked in the waffle iron and it's pretty okay.
(only done it once)

Old 07-30-2020, 07:38 AM

1,026 posts, read 241,717 times
My aunt only made these on special occasions, like Christmas or your birthday or if you were visiting from far away.

2 whole large eggs
2 cups milk
real vanilla extract, she didn't measure but did a quick pour, probably between 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp
3 cups AP flour
1 tsp salt
3-4 Tbsp sugar
4 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup melted butter, cooled (you can use cooking oil, but why)

Separate eggs. Beat the whites until stiff. Set aside.

In a large bowl, beat the yolks, add milk and vanilla. Mix the dry ingredients and add to the milk. Stir in the butter. Gently fold in the egg whites.

Cook on a waffle iron per directions of your machine. I prefer the deeper grids, but the thinner grids work well too.

You can cover and keep batter in fridge for up to 5 days, may develop a bluish tinge, but it's okay. Or, you can cook it all up, just undercooking the waffles slightly, freeze in a single layer, then you can bag and store. Reheat later at 375 for a few minutes on 1 side, flip and let bake until warm on both sides.

She always served with more melted butter and warmed syrup.

Old 07-30-2020, 07:39 AM

1,026 posts, read 241,717 times
I also have a recipe for a true Belgium Liege waffle (yeasty and more like sweet bread) with the pearled sugar somewhere if anybody wants it. I'll have to dig it out.

Old 08-01-2020, 03:24 PM

3,355 posts, read 3,294,125 times
Has anyone ever made cake waffles from boxed cake mix? I've seen them on food blogs before, but I was wondering how they really turn out.

Old 08-01-2020, 03:45 PM

7,720 posts, read 4,394,374 times
I've never tried the cake ones but I do have a recipe for churros made with a waffle iron I haven't tried yet. it would be good for someone who didn't want to eat fried food but still had a hankering.

And I've also seen waffle iron cookie recipes.

Old 08-01-2020, 06:22 PM

3,355 posts, read 3,294,125 times
Well tonight we tried it. French vanilla cake waffles with a side of Wright's applewood bacon. The mix made about eight waffles. Six will go into the freezer. We didn't have any frosting, so we just used syrup. It was delicious! Will do them again, once the frozen ones are gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes