U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 06:55 PM

7,100 posts, read 25,312,392 times

Advertisements

The secret is a THICK bottom on the pan. Either cast iron or heavy aluminum, it doesn't matter. Then, put a blob of butter or a little oil in the pan. Heat until HOT. Then pour in your batter, turn the heat down a little and wait until the bubbles start to burst on the top of the dough and the edges begin to show a little brown. Flip it over and cook for about the same amount of time.

If your first pancake burned, you didn't turn the heat down enough. If it stuck to the pan, the pan did not have enough oil and it wasn't hot enough.

It takes a little practice and even then, sometimes things don't turn out well. But the secret is the pan with the thick bottom. Thin won't do at all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 07:51 AM

42,661 posts, read 77,964,897 times
You put the oil in the batter, not in the pan. Cook them in a dry pan, not too hot. Start pouring the batter when you can flick a few drops of water on the pan and they will dance across the surface---if they just sizzle out, it's too hot. You turn them over when the edges bubble and don't fill back in, but form dry holes. After you turn them, they are done when you can press the center with your finger tip and feel it firmly spring back up without leaving a depression. (To make sure the first ones don't stick, rub cold pan with a slightly buttery finger before you heat it.)

And forget about the store-bought mix, a very expensive way to buy simple ingredients that you already have.

1 cup flour
2 teasp baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
2 Tbsp melted butter (or cooking oil)
Pinch salt, if desired.

Put them all in an empty mayonnaise jar, and shake it up until it looks uniform, don't overmix. Adjust for a good thick pour by adding more milk or flour.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-14-2011 at 08:37 AM..

Old 05-14-2011, 08:23 AM

10,135 posts, read 24,533,698 times
Always pour pancake batter into sizzling butter never into a dry pan. Butter must be hot enough to turn brown if batter is not poured before it does.

PAM first, then heat, then butter. Its cheating though because every pancake poured into sizzling butter will taste good, like everything else that is cooked in butter. Thickness of pancake batter, temperature of ingredients mean nothing. Pan fully heated BEFORE butter goes in is what counts. See video above.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:07 PM

682 posts, read 2,215,173 times
Fresh baking powder is important too, and never "thin" the recipe. It should be nice and thick. Like others said, don't over mix and let it sit for about ten minutes until it gets lighter (due to the soda and baking powder). I prefer to cook mine on an electric frypan or skillet so that I can get a more evenly controlled heat. I tend to burn them if I cook on the stove.

Here's my favorite recipe:

1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
2 T vegetable oil
1 cup flour
1 T sugar
1 t baking powder
½ t soda
½ t salt

1. Beat egg; add remaining ingredients in order listed and beat until smooth. Grease heated griddle if necessary. To test griddle, sprinkle with a few drops of water. If bubbles skitter around, heat is just right.

2. Pour batter from tip of large spoon or from pitcher onto hot griddle. Turn pancakes as soon as they are puffed and full of bubbles but before bubbles break. Bake other side until golden brown.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:06 AM

42,661 posts, read 77,964,897 times
Pancakes was the only thing my dad knew how to make. When my mother was away for a few days, we had pancakes for supper every night.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:19 PM

3,646 posts, read 10,062,315 times
If the pan is too hot, the cakes will burn. My dh cannot make a decent pancake to save his soul. He has destroyed many teflon pans trying.

I've always found the key to perfect, golden brown pancakes is patience. A medium heat, simple Bisquick recipe (add 1 tbsp or so of sugar, a dash of vanilla and salt) and a heavy dose of patience go a long way. Don't overcrowd the pan or try to make too many (or too big) at once. Turn once the up-side is covered in bubbles and the edges look slightly dry. Then flip (use a big enough turner - beginners sometimes use a turner that's not large enough - should be at least 2/3rds of the size of the cake. The second side is easy enough - peeking won't hurt.

I've found many 'from scratch' flapjacks that are yummy too, but a beginner needs a mix - check the date on the box. A lot of folks let their 'ingredients' go past their due date. Doesn't make them dangerous necessarily - but they don't taste/work as well if too 'old'.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:14 PM

6,647 posts, read 8,478,109 times
Sweetie, all the instructions for pan's too hot/not hot enough, oil the pan/don't oil the pan, thick-/thin-bottomed pan are nice, but the secret to a really nice, fluffy stack of 'cakes is...wait for it...
club soda. Substitute club soda for the liquid called for in your mix. You'll be glad you did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or