Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 09:55 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,170 times

Advertisements

I endorse the suggestion of meatloaf, premixed and frozen ahead of time. You could make up meatballs the same way.

I'd also suggest something our family calls "King Ranch Casserole," a recipe we brought back from our years in South Texas, which you could make up ahead of time and freeze the way you do your lasagna.

King Ranch Casserole

One whole chicken
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can (10-oz) Ro-Tel tomatoes and green chilies
3/4 cup chicken broth
1 dozen corn tortillas, cut into strips about 2" wide
1 onion, chopped
2 cups grated cheese

Place chicken in a good-sized saucepan with water about 2/3 up the chicken. Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer, and cover the pan. Simmer until the chicken is tender and done, and allow to cool to handling temperature.

Drain off the chicken stock, reserving 3/4 cup for the recipe and save the rest for another use (soup, gravy, or freeze it for later). Remove the meat from the chicken, cutting it into bite-size pieces. Discard the bones and skin.

In a medium bowl, combine both soups, the tomatoes/chilies and the reserved chicken broth, blending until smooth.

Spray a 9x13 baking pan with pan spray. Spread half of the cut-up chicken over the bottom of the pan. Lay half of the tortilla strips over the chicken, followed by half of the chopped onion, half of the grated cheese and half of the sauce. Repeat the layers, except reversing the sauce and grated cheese so that the cheese is on top.

Bake at 350 for one hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 03:44 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
I saw boiled eggs, but no egg salad on your list. Or tuna salad. With some whole grain bread - yum! When I need to travel with these things, I pack the bread separately - lettuce in a Ziploc and the 'salad' mix in a plastic container. That way, nothing gets soggy.

"garbage on toast" was a favorite of mine as a kid too. It freezes well too. When you freeze it though, use a container shaped similarly to your crockpot (ie, round or rectangular, small enough to drop in the crockpot), then just drop it in the crock from a frozen state and let it reheat on low throughout the day. (Brown ground beef, add a can of mush soup, frozen peas, etc. Serve over toast). I have an excellent recipe for 'cheeseburger sandwiches' too - served on Kaiser rolls, brown ground beef and onion, throw in casserole dish, add chopped sweet peppers (green is fine, I use red too for color) and velveeta, bake or crockpot until gooey and yummy. Ground beef is great for traveling - you can brown it up with onions and freeze it in dinner size portions, then get creative and add to it the things you like. Serve over bread or tortillas of your choice. These are always popular with a wide variety of ages, a little different from the norm, but not low fat!

Instead of a cake, try making mini cheesecakes in a cupcake tin, freeze them before transporting in a plastic container, layered between wax paper sheets. Mini pies, made in cupcake tins too, would work - though I wouldn't freeze them.
TY sskkc! Yes, the boiled eggs are to use in egg salad, or use in a mixed green salad, or just to eat plain in between meals.

I have never heard of garbage on toast, lol! Love that - thank you for sharing it.

We love cheesecake - great idea making minis.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
I endorse the suggestion of meatloaf, premixed and frozen ahead of time. You could make up meatballs the same way.

I'd also suggest something our family calls "King Ranch Casserole," a recipe we brought back from our years in South Texas, which you could make up ahead of time and freeze the way you do your lasagna.

King Ranch Casserole

One whole chicken
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can (10-oz) Ro-Tel tomatoes and green chilies
3/4 cup chicken broth
1 dozen corn tortillas, cut into strips about 2" wide
1 onion, chopped
2 cups grated cheese

Place chicken in a good-sized saucepan with water about 2/3 up the chicken. Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer, and cover the pan. Simmer until the chicken is tender and done, and allow to cool to handling temperature.

Drain off the chicken stock, reserving 3/4 cup for the recipe and save the rest for another use (soup, gravy, or freeze it for later). Remove the meat from the chicken, cutting it into bite-size pieces. Discard the bones and skin.

In a medium bowl, combine both soups, the tomatoes/chilies and the reserved chicken broth, blending until smooth.

Spray a 9x13 baking pan with pan spray. Spread half of the cut-up chicken over the bottom of the pan. Lay half of the tortilla strips over the chicken, followed by half of the chopped onion, half of the grated cheese and half of the sauce. Repeat the layers, except reversing the sauce and grated cheese so that the cheese is on top.

Bake at 350 for one hour.
Oh wow - I had this recipe years ago and had lost it and forgotten about it! Thank you so much for sharing it - I will definitely do this. I have used it in years past (we are talking early 80s!) to take to covered dish suppers and it always went over very well.

Great suggestion - thank you!

Old 05-16-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Make up some chili at home and freeze it. It can also act as your "ice" while transporting any other food up there.

The first morning at the cabin, throw it in the crock pot on low and you have dinner.
Why didn't I think of this? We love chili! Thank you so much for suggesting it! You are right- it would help keep the other stuff cold, as well.

Really appreciate your mentioning it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes