U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2011, 01:53 PM

14,076 posts, read 18,500,206 times

Advertisements

I've got a chicken pot pie in the oven as we speak.

I start by boiling a few potato chunks until they're soft, then setting them aside.

Then, I take a soup pan and use the kitchen sissor's to snip off some chicken tenderloins or breasts into bite-sized pieces and I add some fresh onion bits. Pour in just a dab of Canola oil and let that simmer on low heat, with the lid on, until tender. I spice it with a very liberal dose of commercially available poultry seasoning, a little salt and a dash of black pepper.

When the chicken is soft, I stir in a some flour and enough milk and a tad of water to make a roo. Then, I toss in the potatoes, about half a can of mixed vegetables and let that come to a boil, stirring frequently to prevent the roo from sticking.

Next, I spread a Pillsbury pie crust on the bottom of a deep dish and spoon in my chicken mixture. Cover it with another pie crust, crimp down the sides and puncture the top with a fork a few times. Bake at 450 degrees, or until the crust is brown all the way down the sides, and VOILA!

That's what Granny and I are having for supper.

How about you?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 09:18 PM

28,584 posts, read 27,412,341 times
...and you cook, too. How'd it turn out?

I didn't cook a darned thing. I had a corned beef sandwich on rye, cole slaw and a half sour.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:31 AM

4,196 posts, read 5,580,055 times
I love pot pies, it sounds great!!

Then, so does the corned beef and the pickle!!

Old 05-14-2011, 02:52 PM

114,755 posts, read 57,284,732 times
Nothing ....but thawing some steaks! I would like to try making pot pies some day. Somehow potatoes don't sound like they belong with chicken .. But, everyone has there own ideas. My wife doesn't like me adding okra to soups. I've learned to love it and now she turns her nose up at it!

Old 05-14-2011, 05:10 PM

6,191 posts, read 16,265,242 times
Dinner tonight will be a load of asparagus stir-fried with olive oil, garlic and red pepper, plus a slab of salmon. I am still planning on making the Tuscany chicken recipe someone posted here but haven't gotten around to it yet.

That pot pie sounds delish! I just had "chicken pot pie soup" at someone's house yesterday, it was extremely tasty.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:10 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,527,784 times
I'm actually trying to figure out what I'm going to cook! I have beef stew cubes in the fridge but I'm not in the mood for stew. I'd really like to try beef burgandy, but I don't have all the ingredients. And - I'm a little leary of stroganoff - the sour cream has always kept me away from this. So - I'm working on it lol. I usually use the McCormick stew in a bag mix. I guess I could still cook it in the oven with the stew mix and the veggies and then just serve it over egg noodles.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:47 PM
NTT

722 posts, read 1,670,812 times
For dinner, I made some pea soup. A couple of days ago, I visited a local farmer's market and fumbled upon some fresh purple hull peas, first time seeing, cooking, and eating them. They looked like black-eyed peas but with purple eyes.

Here's how I made it. In a pot, I sauteed garlic and onion in EVOO. I browned ground pork with Italian seasoning, salt & pepper to taste in the same pot. Then, I added cubed tomato, peas, water, chicken base, chili sauce and brought it a boil. Once boiled, I covered the pot and simmered for 1-1/2 hrs. Then, I added whole corn kernels and simmered for another 1/2 hr. or so until the peas were tender. A little more salt to taste in the final stage. It was a delicious hearty pea soup. I was told that it goes well with corn bread but I skipped it because I got too many other type of breads.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:04 AM

1,754 posts, read 3,851,888 times
Nothing at the moment, but last night's dinner was chicken salad made with chunked chicken breast, sharp cheddar, bacon, grapes and apples. Put cukes in salt water to marinate, but that'll be a side for dinner tonight.
I need to bake something today... but what?

Old 05-19-2011, 01:46 PM

77,774 posts, read 90,304,336 times
Just took the chicken off the stove, cooled it, pulled it apart and tonight will be chicken and noodles. The rest has been put into separate containers for the freezer. I am going to serve snow peas with ginger on the side.

Nita

Old 05-19-2011, 01:47 PM

77,774 posts, read 90,304,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
Nothing at the moment, but last night's dinner was chicken salad made with chunked chicken breast, sharp cheddar, bacon, grapes and apples. Put cukes in salt water to marinate, but that'll be a side for dinner tonight.
I need to bake something today... but what?
Hey RamblinRose, how are you doing?

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes