Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 07:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
Awesome, for some reason making pickles has always scared me a little. I wish I knew someone who did it so I could sit in and watch sometime.
When I was a kid my grandparents knew someone that made pickled green beans they were yummy!!!
I do do an asian pickled green beans. Pickling is really easy, but I have to admit it can take several years to get the secret of pickling cukes down. The recipes are ease, it is keeping them firm that is hard.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 10:25 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,311,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I do do an asian pickled green beans. Pickling is really easy, but I have to admit it can take several years to get the secret of pickling cukes down. The recipes are ease, it is keeping them firm that is hard.Nita

Anyone willing to share their secrets?

Thanks for your recipe mnita, going to try pickling some jalepenos, now that you guys have me in the mood.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone-ground View Post
Anyone willing to share their secrets?

Thanks for your recipe mnita, going to try pickling some jalepenos, now that you guys have me in the mood.
Pretty much the secret for us has been: making sure the cukes are really fresh and keeping the boiling temps at 180 to 185 degrees.

Here is the recipe I have been usuing the past couple of years, it has worked perfectly for sour or dills. I have another one (which is pretty much my own) for sweet and sour spicy cukes. I will send that as well if you like it.

NIta

Basic dills or sour: I am not going to go through every detail like the recipe does, I think most of it is self explanatory. By the way, the book I got this from is called: Blue Ribbon Preserves by Linda Amendt. I have found most the recipes really good.

7 lbs pickling cukes (about 30)
3 quarts ditilled water (make sure you use distilled)
1./2 cup pickling or kosher salt
3 cups distilled white vinegar (I don't know of any other kind except distilled)
3/4 Cup of sugar (don't use that much, we don't like them sweet)
dill seeds, mustard seeds, celery seeds and coriander seeds (about 1 to 2 tsp of each
16 springs fresh dill or more

Wash and clean cukes in cold water. remove the blossom end (about 1/8 of an inch)

heat the water and add salt. When salt is dissolved, pour mixture over cukes. I usually have to use a couple of containers as the cukes have to be completely covered. Put a plate or something over cukes to make sure they are covered completely. Let sit for 24 hours. Drain and rinse well. Rinse the container so there is no salt residue and return the cukes to the container. Cover with cold water and let sit for 20 minutes or so. Then rinse again. set them aside while you prepare the brine.

In a large pan combine vinegar and sugar: heat over med heat and stir til sugar is dissolved. Place all the spices in a piece of cheesecloth or spice bag and tie together. Place them in the vinegar solution; heat til boiling and boil about 5 minutes. Pour the mixture over the cukes after disposing of spice bag. Again cover and make sure the cukes are completely submerged. Let sit for 24 hours. Pour the syrup into a pan and heat to boiling. While doing that fill your jars with cukes, add syrup allowing 1/4 to 1/2 inch head space. add a few dill springs to each jar. Make sure there are no air bubbles in the jars. Seal and place jars in canner. heat to about 180 degrees; allow to bath for about 30 minutes whether doing pints of quarts.

I hope this works for all of you. By the way, I know many who still use the lime powder but I do not think it does one thing. If you prefer you can and probably can skip some of the letting the cukes sit for so long. I have just had better luck this way.

Nita

Old 06-06-2011, 11:02 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,311,148 times
Thanks again nmnita~appreciated!

Old 06-06-2011, 02:05 PM

682 posts, read 2,423,393 times
Use calcium chloride rather than pickling salt in your recipe. It will help keep your vegetables crisp. (Calcium chloride is a salt). We find ours at the local home brew/wine making shop. Alum and Lime (calcium hydroxide) will aid in keeping vegetables firm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes