U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2011, 08:41 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,420,820 times

Advertisements

I've passed this recipe around to many a friend, and everyone has loved it so far, and said things like, "I never used to be able to get my husband to eat asparagus, but he loves this!"

It's altered to my needs from a basic recipe I found online.

1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
cooking oil spray
salt and pepper to taste

1 Tablespoon butter
1 Tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon cornstarch

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Place asparagus on cookie sheet. Spray with cooking oil spray, add salt and pepper to taste.
Bake asparagus 12 to 15 minutes, or until tender.
Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat and add soy sauce and vinegar.
In a small container, mix cornstarch with a small amount of the sauce. Add back to pot and return to low heat and stir constantly until sauce thickens (this will burn very easily!!!).
Place asparagus in shallow dish, and pour on the sauce.

Enjoy!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 11:43 AM

4,620 posts, read 2,773,108 times
This sounds really good PatsCats. I purchased my asparagus this morning and I'm going to give this one a try.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:49 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,420,820 times
I can't say for sure, but I think it's the vinegar.

Asparagus does have a unique taste, which is what most people don't like about it. It really doesn't taste like anything else. But I think the balsamic vinegar "neutralizes" that taste, and I think that's what causes asparagus-haters to cave!

Let me know how you like it. And try it on your favorite asparagus-hater too!

Old 05-25-2011, 09:04 PM

26,500 posts, read 33,820,167 times
I like to take asparagus and wrap it in bacon, place it on a baking rack and sheet and bake in the oven 400 degrees until bacon is crisp. Bacon being simply good and the drippings soak into the asparagus to add flavor.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:27 PM

1,076 posts, read 4,020,065 times
Do something similar only with prosciutto and a 475' oven.

This works really well with those big fat asparagus. Lightly coat the spears with olive oil and a touch of sea salt, and then wrap with prosciutto .. doesn't have to be completely covered. Just make sure the asparagus heads are oiled so they don't dry out.

Place on rack on pizza pan or cooking sheet and three minutes in hot oven, turn over and roast another three minutes. yum.

Or, just roasted asparagus .. same procedure without the prosciutto, and up the sea salt a touch.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:57 PM

3,724 posts, read 8,837,966 times
I just use oil, sea salt, pepper, and either garlic or cayenne. It tastes best roasted like that!

Old 05-29-2011, 10:49 AM

4,620 posts, read 2,773,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
I can't say for sure, but I think it's the vinegar.

Asparagus does have a unique taste, which is what most people don't like about it. It really doesn't taste like anything else. But I think the balsamic vinegar "neutralizes" that taste, and I think that's what causes asparagus-haters to cave!

Let me know how you like it. And try it on your favorite asparagus-hater too!
I made this today. It was great.......something I will make again. Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or