Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2011, 11:21 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,423,548 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I'm in a bit of a pickle (not really) but I want to make a somewhat perfect glazed ham.
It dont need no fancy cherries or anything.

I have an Uncle coming in two weeks and he's bringing his new wife..
Well Granny is not up to cooking so much anymore any and I want to make an impression. I dont need to for him or her..I just want to...

I have a spiral ham, it comes with a glaze and I do want to try to use some of that.

I have had bad luck in the past with getting hams to glaze, I'm doing something wrong. Alton Brown makes it look easy, TV can make dogfood look like chocolate cake though.

I know to cook it low at first then turn it up at the end to get the glaze to stick..

Anything i'm missing?
Maybe a recipe for a glaze that will stick?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 01:39 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,899,308 times
There are so many types of glazes, but my favorite is a recipe called "Monte's ham". You can find it all over the internet. Every time I make it, people just rave over it, and it was the same at the party where I first had it, people couldn't stop talking about it. It's real easy, and can make a cheap ham taste good. (as well as an expensive spiral like yours) One thing I do change in the recipe is cloves, instead of adding whole cloves I just add a little pinch of ground cloves to the glaze before spreading it on.

Monte's Ham Recipe - Saveur.com

Old 06-07-2011, 06:15 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,650 times
I've heard many, many, MANY people rave about the Dr. Pepper Glazed Ham. I've not personally tried it yet (since I'm more of a turkey person) but I absolutely intend to try it. It intrigues me.

Just Google "Dr. Pepper Glazed Ham".

Old 06-09-2011, 04:52 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
<LI sizcache="51" sizset="110">Honey Baked Ham corporation uses a butane torch to caramelize the glaze to a crust. <LI sizcache="51" sizset="111">8 The ham is placed on top of a huge metal drum covered with foil and caramelized.

Read more: Honey Baked Ham Copycat) Recipe - Food.com - 45896

Just don't burn down the house!

Old 06-10-2011, 12:14 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
I don't care for the packets that come with Honey Baked Ham but my family does like ham on the sweet side. This Christmas I saw Pat Neely make a ham on the Food Network and I followed his directions, which worked very well. It involves a dry rub the day before, then a glaze during baking.

Here's his recipe and you can link to a video showing him making it.
Smoked Ham with Sweet Holiday Glaze Recipe : Patrick and Gina Neely : Food Network
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes