Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 07:33 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times

Advertisements

No recipe needed!! This works for almost any veggie....just note which of those need more cooking time ie carrots, etc.

400 degrees oven.

Bowl
Amount of veggies you want/chopped in large pieces, or whole for say baby carrots:

I love these: broccoli, cauliflower (really good), carrots, onions, celery, squash, green beans, potatoes of course, red small/sweet; awesome: asparagus!

Toss with olive oil, s/p and herbs of choice.

Spread single layer on cookie sheet. Stir every 5-8 minutes...til done. (20 min or so)

ENJOY

aced1;19494045]I'm looking for some new ways to prepare veggies so my hubby might like a few more. He's mostly a corn, carrot, green bean kind of guy and I'd like to be able to make some of the ones he doesn't like in new ways so he might try them again. I did attempt to roast a veggie ages ago but it didn't go all that well but I'd like to give it another shot with a verified good recipe. Anyone have any favorites? I love almost all veggies so I'm open to try most of them.[/quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 08:16 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,987 times
I tried the recipe in the following video and loved it. I've sent this video to others who wanted new veggie recipes and they loved it. Even someone who didn't care for cauliflower.

The woman in the video is Aarti. She won last season's The Next Food Network Star and now has her own TV Show. This was her BEFORE the "fame." She was a regular foodie on YouTube!

YouTube - ‪Aarti Paarti Episode 7: Roasted Cauliflower Steaks‬‏

Old 06-08-2011, 11:21 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Roasted Asparagus Recipe : Ina Garten : Food Network

I've never made asparagus any other way since I learned this from the Barefoot Contessa on the Food Network. (And if hubby doesn't like, you didn't waste a lot of effort, and I guarantee you'll eat it all.)

Old 06-08-2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post

I've never made asparagus any other way since I learned this from the Barefoot Contessa on the Food Network. (And if hubby doesn't like, you didn't waste a lot of effort, and I guarantee you'll eat it all.)
Had it. Love it. Roasted asparagus is my favorite roasted veggie. I never say no to it.

Two other favorites, albeit not roasted are:

1) Heat 3 Tbsp Olive Oil in a large stockpan and saute 2 or 3 minced garlic cloves in it. Just as it starts browning, remove from the heat and pour one whole bad of spinach in the pot and toss until coated with the oil and garlic. That should take about 20 seconds. The spinach will just barely start to curl at the edges but not wilt. Then, squeeze fresh lemon juice over it and serve. This is like dessert for me!

2) Mince or crush 1 or 2 garlic cloves and put them in a pot while you steam your broccoli until it's that vibrant, crisp green color. Squeeze lemon over it and sprinkle lightly with pepper. (Or just skip the lemon and pepper and sprinkle with lemon pepper seasoning.) This really masks the "grassy" taste of the broccoli for folks who don't like it.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
I tried the recipe in the following video and loved it. I've sent this video to others who wanted new veggie recipes and they loved it. Even someone who didn't care for cauliflower.

The woman in the video is Aarti. She won last season's The Next Food Network Star and now has her own TV Show. This was her BEFORE the "fame." She was a regular foodie on YouTube!

YouTube - ‪Aarti Paarti Episode 7: Roasted Cauliflower Steaks‬‏
I might give it a try, but I can't stand her, so it will not be easy. Now, if Melissa had done it or barefoot Contessa that would be different. I know Arti has her own show, I am guessing it isn't going to last too much longer.

Nita

Old 06-09-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post

Isn't it amazing what we can now do with veggies. I remember growning up in
Ca, we ate a lot of Asparagus, as well as other veggies; how did mom fix it: she would put it in a skillet with a little water (I guess she thought she was sorta steaming it) cook it for 10 or 15 minutes and spread mayo all over it.

Nita

Old 06-09-2011, 09:45 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,421,766 times
I'm going to try both the cauliflower steaks and the asparagas when I get into my house.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I might give it a try, but I can't stand her, so it will not be easy. Now, if Melissa had done it or barefoot Contessa that would be different. I know Arti has her own show, I am guessing it isn't going to last too much longer.

Nita
That's too bad. I was watching her YouTube videos before she ever appeared on television and I found her to be a genuine person. But, not all personality types mesh with everyone and that's understandable. I never saw her on TV because I don't have one. (Hate them.) I did see a clip of her show online and must admit, I prefer her own home show on YouTube.

For those who are interested, go to her channel and make her curried popcorn. That's a staple in my house now and I make it for work all the time. Phenomenal stuff!

Old 06-09-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
That's too bad. I was watching her YouTube videos before she ever appeared on television and I found her to be a genuine person. But, not all personality types mesh with everyone and that's understandable. I never saw her on TV because I don't have one. (Hate them.) I did see a clip of her show online and must admit, I prefer her own home show on YouTube.

For those who are interested, go to her channel and make her curried popcorn. That's a staple in my house now and I make it for work all the time. Phenomenal stuff!
sometimes I am a crabby old lady.. still don't like her.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
sometimes I am a crabby old lady.. still don't like her.
Cross my i's and dot my t's, I never thought you were crabby. Not every personality hits a homerun with every person. To be honest, her's wouldn't with me either if I didn't notice, after a time, that she's sincerely goofy and sweet and not trying to put on an act.

Rachel Ray is the one that cranks up the Nausea Meter to danger levels for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes