Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 09:57 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,158,550 times

Advertisements

I have been craving some good fried chicken. I don't eat much fried foods and never cook fried foods, but am dying for some good fried chicken !
So who out there, and I know ther is alot, has the best recipe?
No I don't want fried squirrel, possum, or coon but thanks in advanced anyways !
Please, somebody out there has to have the secret !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2006, 04:12 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
The best fried chicken? One that ain't cooked in my kitchen.

Here is the Paula Deen recipe for fried chicken. I've never had hers but it sure sounds good.

Southern Fried Chicken Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
Show: Food Network Specials
Episode: Paula's Cooking Class

House Seasoning:
1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder

Southern Fried Chicken:
4 eggs
1/3 cup water
1 cup hot red pepper sauce
2 cups self-rising flour
1 teaspoon pepper
House Seasoning
2 1/2-pound chicken, cut into pieces
Oil, for frying, preferably peanut oil

To make the House Seasoning, mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

In a medium size bowl, beat the eggs with the water. Add enough hot sauce so the egg mixture is bright orange. In another bowl, combine the flour and pepper. Season the chicken with the House Seasoning. Dip the seasoned chicken in the egg, and then coat well in the flour mixture.
Heat the oil to 350 degrees F in a deep pot. Do not fill the pot more than 1/2 full with oil.

Fry the chicken in the oil until brown and crisp. Dark meat takes longer than white meat. It should take dark meat about 13 to 14 minutes, white meat around 8 to 10 minutes.

Old 11-17-2006, 04:20 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
My recipe: Go to Kentucky Fried Chicken or Boston Market. Sorry! lol

Old 11-18-2006, 06:43 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,158,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Unfortunately, those are the options I have. They just don't cut it anymore!
I like Publix fried chicken better than KFC.
There has got to be someone out there that is famous for thier fried chicken recipe !

Old 11-18-2006, 08:06 AM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Forty years ago I worked in a hamburger joint in Baltimore (Gino's) which also had the local franchise for KFC. One day I brought home a bag of the KFC seasoning mix....I forget the ingredients, but there were a lot of spices, among them white pepper, black pepper, sage and a lot more.

After I got married, I used to pan fry chicken breasts at home. I mixed up a bunch of flour, salt, white and black pepper, sage and dredge the chicken in that, after first soaking it in a bath of milk and one egg.

Then pan fry it in EQUAL parts butter, crisco shortening (not oil) and bacon fat. Deadly yes, but ooh ooh baby.....it came out with a good crisp skin that was crunchy like parchment paper and had a flavor die for....

Google around, you will find postings on the web purporting to know the spices, like coriander and tumeric and dry mustard etc...all probably true but I never used any of it.

s/Mike

Old 11-18-2006, 09:23 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Not KFC!!!! That stuff is not even nasty...it's SNASTY! I had a craving for mashed potatoes and fried chicken about six months ago, went through the KFC drive-through (first visit to KFC in 25 years), got the stuff, went home filled with anticipation....IT WAS DISGUSTING!!!! The potato bowl was so salty I'm amazed I wasn't dried from the inside out! I actually got sick and nauseous. NEVER AGAIN!
I like fried chicken, but not when you bite into it and your mouth gets squirted with a half-gallon of trans-fat oil...ugh... It was pukey!
The Paula recipe sounds really good...I'm just afraid to fry in deep oil because of fire danger.

Old 11-18-2006, 10:17 AM

1,408 posts, read 5,094,744 times
Just keep it simple....salt & pepper pieces of chicken, shake in bag with flour until well coated. Fry in hot Crisco. Shortening is best, but oil will do. Just keep turning so it will get done without burning.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:02 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
I will share my southern families secret for awesome fried chicken. First, we rinse off the chicken pieces, dry with paper towels and salt all pieces extremely well with regular table salt. Place back in fridge overnight. The morning you are going to fry the chicken, or at least one to two hours before frying, place all pieces of chicken in buttermilk and let soak. If buttermilk isn't available soak in regular milk. Then proceed with coating the chicken and frying. As for the coating, we all do something different in my family. Basically though we use flour, salt, pepper, and I add granulated onion and garlic, seasoning salt and just a pinch of sugar. Some southern cooks like poultry seasoning also but I am not one of them. An electric skillet is the best for frying chicken, but if you don't have it get your vegetable oil (Crisco or Wesson, don't use the cheap stuff) hot to about 375 degrees, cook 5 min each side; do not flip back and forth!!! When done place on paper towels to drain. I usually place paper towels in a 13 x 9 and as the pieces are done I place the dish in the oven on low to keep the chicken warm until ready to serve. This is also very, very good cold!

Old 10-22-2007, 11:45 AM

859 posts, read 2,148,010 times
Man that sounds good, been looking for a good recipe

Old 10-22-2007, 06:01 PM

422 posts, read 1,362,092 times
I totally agree with SmokyMtnGal.. I soak chicken in buttermilk and coat w/ flour but instead of salt/pepper/onion.. I got MD style and mix flour and Old Bay... I personally think the buttermilk is key..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes