U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-26-2011, 03:31 PM
 
Location: Middle America
37,378 posts, read 45,430,263 times
Reputation: 52496

Advertisements

A great base for marinated, grilled summer vegetables...not sure that I'd eat it on its own often, though. Need some produce to balance out the starch.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-26-2011, 11:23 PM
 
Location: Tucson for awhile longer
8,874 posts, read 14,383,714 times
Reputation: 29083
I wish I could try that olive oil brand as I've been very unhappy with the ones I've used recently. But I've never seen it on any shelf before and I frequent four supermarkets.

Does anyone have a preference of supermarket-available brands? I know I could go to a specialty store and get something great, but I don't have $35 to spend on a bottle of olive oil I'll use up in a month. And, yes, I get extra virgin and I've even tried ones specified for "finishing." Most of them don't taste much different from regular American "vegetable oil." No use making Aglio e Olio without good ingredients.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2011, 11:54 PM
 
Location: Arizona
511 posts, read 835,117 times
Reputation: 1226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I wish I could try that olive oil brand as I've been very unhappy with the ones I've used recently. But I've never seen it on any shelf before and I frequent four supermarkets.

Does anyone have a preference of supermarket-available brands? I know I could go to a specialty store and get something great, but I don't have $35 to spend on a bottle of olive oil I'll use up in a month. And, yes, I get extra virgin and I've even tried ones specified for "finishing." Most of them don't taste much different from regular American "vegetable oil." No use making Aglio e Olio without good ingredients.
I read somewhere...that some olive oil is mixed with vegetable oil.

I use the Costco Kirkland brand organic olive oil. It is pretty good and affordable.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2011, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Pacific Northwest
1,076 posts, read 4,021,781 times
Reputation: 858
My fave, spaghetti noodles from the day before heated up with olive oil, lots of fresh garlic, handfuls of parsley, few shots of cayenne topped with parmesan. yum

I've got to get out of the food forum and get something to eat!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2011, 01:28 PM
 
Location: In a house
13,253 posts, read 38,632,740 times
Reputation: 20198
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone-ground View Post
My fave, spaghetti noodles from the day before heated up with olive oil, lots of fresh garlic, handfuls of parsley, few shots of cayenne topped with parmesan. yum

I've got to get out of the food forum and get something to eat!
Switch up the spaghetti with capellini (angel hair), add in a shallot sliced paper-thin to the oil, the juice of half a lemon, and a QUICK splash of sherry, and you've got a scampi sauce ready for grilled strips of chicken breast or shrimp.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2011, 01:51 AM
 
Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,299 posts, read 12,760,425 times
Reputation: 8058
If you want this recipe to soar, add in a good handful of Gorgonzola cheese crumbles with the fresh Parmesan or Asiago.

Also you can make it without olive oil, substituting partly melted butter for another variation.

Get a good strong black pepper for these "white" pasta recipes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2011, 09:47 AM
 
1,096 posts, read 4,220,257 times
Reputation: 1096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I wish I could try that olive oil brand as I've been very unhappy with the ones I've used recently. But I've never seen it on any shelf before and I frequent four supermarkets.

Does anyone have a preference of supermarket-available brands? I know I could go to a specialty store and get something great, but I don't have $35 to spend on a bottle of olive oil I'll use up in a month. And, yes, I get extra virgin and I've even tried ones specified for "finishing." Most of them don't taste much different from regular American "vegetable oil." No use making Aglio e Olio without good ingredients.
Stores like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are more affordable and easier for more people to get to than a speciality Italian store or Olive Oil store and generally have some decent olive oils at a good price.

Personally however I don't midn spending more money for quality Olive Oil. I use the cheap grocery store stuff for cooking and use the quality stuff for dipping bread, putting on plain pasta, etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2011, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Land of Free Johnson-Weld-2016
6,472 posts, read 14,692,207 times
Reputation: 6464
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
Stores like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are more affordable and easier for more people to get to than a speciality Italian store or Olive Oil store and generally have some decent olive oils at a good price.

Personally however I don't midn spending more money for quality Olive Oil. I use the cheap grocery store stuff for cooking and use the quality stuff for dipping bread, putting on plain pasta, etc.
A few years ago I switched tt organic olive oil from Spain, or this one awesome oil from Morocco. I also started to taste the olive oil to see if it tastes like olives. There was a big scandal about the "fake" olive oil produced by many Italian companies, so I stopped using inexpensive olive oil and avoid Italian oils altogether: Letter from Italy: Slippery Business : The New Yorker
“Fraud is so widespread that few growers can make an honest living,” is a memorable quote from the article. Letter from Italy: Slippery Business : The New Yorker


I was pretty upset after reading it since I used to eat a lot of olive oil because (real) olive oil was shown in studies to be good for the heart. It's sad, but it turns out that if you want actual olive oil, it costs 10-20 dollars a bottle.

I would use any inexpensive olive oil sparingly. Unfortunately if you taste it and it doesn't taste like olives, it may not even be olive oil.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2011, 10:47 AM
 
Location: SoCal desert
8,092 posts, read 13,873,498 times
Reputation: 14906
If you ever have the chance to visit Temecula (California) Old Town ... visit the Olive Oil store

(I have no affiliation to the store!)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2011, 10:14 PM
 
Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,299 posts, read 12,760,425 times
Reputation: 8058
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
A few years ago I switched tt organic olive oil from Spain, or this one awesome oil from Morocco. I also started to taste the olive oil to see if it tastes like olives. There was a big scandal about the "fake" olive oil produced by many Italian companies, so I stopped using inexpensive olive oil and avoid Italian oils altogether: Letter from Italy: Slippery Business : The New Yorker
“Fraud is so widespread that few growers can make an honest living,” is a memorable quote from the article. Letter from Italy: Slippery Business : The New Yorker


I was pretty upset after reading it since I used to eat a lot of olive oil because (real) olive oil was shown in studies to be good for the heart. It's sad, but it turns out that if you want actual olive oil, it costs 10-20 dollars a bottle.

I would use any inexpensive olive oil sparingly. Unfortunately if you taste it and it doesn't taste like olives, it may not even be olive oil.
I read an article a few months ago rating the olive oils for flavor and supposedly healthy or unhealthy components - both chemical analysis and taste tests. Don't have the link, because all I took away from it was that Costco's Kirkland Brand was the only reasonably priced very high quality olive oil, all the other highly rated evoos were from smaller farms and were outrageously expensive.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top