U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2011, 11:44 AM

77,820 posts, read 90,476,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
A great base for marinated, grilled summer vegetables...not sure that I'd eat it on its own often, though. Need some produce to balance out the starch.
I was going to suggest grape tomatoes halved. The extra veggies would be good as well, but I let it get cold and serve as a salad, adding the cheese at the end.

Nita
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palenaka View Post
I read somewhere...that some olive oil is mixed with vegetable oil.

I use the Costco Kirkland brand organic olive oil. It is pretty good and affordable.
I saw it suggested we mix the two (I may have seen it on the food network) the reason? Olive oil is so expensive, if you mix them (more olive than salad oil) you will get the benefit of Olive oil, healthwise and flavor and cut the food bill.

Nita

Old 07-09-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
If you ever have the chance to visit Temecula (California) Old Town ... visit the Olive Oil store

(I have no affiliation to the store!)
are you sure? Only kidding, but I think there is a similar store in the Denver area.

Nita

Old 07-31-2011, 10:02 PM

445 posts, read 768,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
Probably no reason even to put this as a recipe since all it is basically is pasta and olive oil but it's so simple, so quick and so tasty and not something you always think to throw together.

The Olive Oil used in this particular recipe is to die for as well. It's pretty garlicky already but I normally still throw a big spoonful of minced garlic from a giant jar I have in it.

Rules For Rebels: 10 Minute Dinner For The Young Professional - Quick, Tasty, Easy, & Few Ingredients
I love food like this!

Old 08-01-2011, 02:34 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,227,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickytoffee View Post
I love food like this!
If you like stuff like this you have to try the Evoo olive oil. I was ging to make this last night and was out of it, I ws super bummed. Not the same with regular grocery store olive oil

Old 08-01-2011, 03:01 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,299 posts, read 12,786,812 times
Evoo (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) is not a brand, it is available at any grocery store. It's the highest grade of olive oil. Twisted Olive is just one of many evoos.

The problem is when people think that "Pure" olive oil or "Light" olive oil are the same sort of grade. I think "light" can be legally adulterated with other oils, while Pure means that it's a second or third pressing of the olive where the oil may have been extracted with chemicals - iirc. Extra Virgin means that it's the first pressing, done without chemicals.

Some evoos are "fruitier" or more strongly flavored than others. Americans are supposedly incapable of handling the stronger olive oils, so we have been getting the mild stuff for the most part. It's the same reason our McCormick spices are so weak compared to spices in other lands, we're believed to dislike strong flavors, and that was quite true as recently as the 1960s. I remember that. Other countries like Mexico demand more flavor and a thicker consistency, so Spain and Italy will export stronger olive oil to them which tastes very distinctly different from any other veg oil.

It's possible in the bigger supermarkets now to find thicker, more strongly flavored olive oils, but you have to look for some indication like "fruitier flavor" or maybe it was "more robust flavor".

As I mentioned above, Costco Organic evoo tested out to be among the purest, with the healthiest components (which doesn't necessarily mean strongly flavored), but not everyone has a Costco nearby or can afford membership. I can't, so I buy from a supermarket for the most part. If I ever get another chance to shop at Costco, I'm going to buy enough of their olive oil to last me a coupla years!

Old 08-03-2011, 09:17 AM

1,096 posts, read 4,227,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Evoo (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) is not a brand, it is available at any grocery store. It's the highest grade of olive oil. Twisted Olive is just one of many evoos.

The problem is when people think that "Pure" olive oil or "Light" olive oil are the same sort of grade. I think "light" can be legally adulterated with other oils, while Pure means that it's a second or third pressing of the olive where the oil may have been extracted with chemicals - iirc. Extra Virgin means that it's the first pressing, done without chemicals.

Some evoos are "fruitier" or more strongly flavored than others. Americans are supposedly incapable of handling the stronger olive oils, so we have been getting the mild stuff for the most part. It's the same reason our McCormick spices are so weak compared to spices in other lands, we're believed to dislike strong flavors, and that was quite true as recently as the 1960s. I remember that. Other countries like Mexico demand more flavor and a thicker consistency, so Spain and Italy will export stronger olive oil to them which tastes very distinctly different from any other veg oil.

It's possible in the bigger supermarkets now to find thicker, more strongly flavored olive oils, but you have to look for some indication like "fruitier flavor" or maybe it was "more robust flavor".

As I mentioned above, Costco Organic evoo tested out to be among the purest, with the healthiest components (which doesn't necessarily mean strongly flavored), but not everyone has a Costco nearby or can afford membership. I can't, so I buy from a supermarket for the most part. If I ever get another chance to shop at Costco, I'm going to buy enough of their olive oil to last me a coupla years!
Twisted Olive calls their olive oil that I was mentioning Garlic Evoo. I know evo means extra virgin olive oil but if someone were looking for it no their site that's what its listed under.

The stuff is great if you love garlic though I normally still simmer a few cloves in this oil even though it already is pretty strong garlic taste

Old 08-03-2011, 03:00 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,299 posts, read 12,786,812 times
Sounds good. I'm always afraid to add fresh garlic to oil in the bottle because it might get botulism, and I don't care for the taste of browned garlic. This might be kinda nice for pasta and salads, and I'm sure they've figured out how to make it safer than do-it-yourself (low acid veg + low oxygen in the jar = botulin toxin).

Old 08-05-2011, 08:15 PM

10,135 posts, read 24,529,075 times
This dish is why they sell deveined flash frozen raw shrimp. Rinse frozen shrimp in cold water to remove stray shell pieces, add to olive oil in saute pan, turn over to cook on both sides. As soon as shrimp is pink throughout proceed as above.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:04 AM

12,408 posts, read 17,273,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palenaka View Post
I read somewhere...that some olive oil is mixed with vegetable oil.

I use the Costco Kirkland brand organic olive oil. It is pretty good and affordable.
Yes. Some countries sell olive oil mixed with a cheaper oil and do not list the cheap oil on the label.
Two issues - you are paying olive oil prices and you have no idea if the other oil is mono unsaturated.

Then, there was another article that said olive oil sold in the states is sometimes rancid by the time you purchase it. The article went on to say sometimes the rancid brands' oils actually sell better than the fresh ones because American palates are so accustomed to it that that is the way they believe olive oil should taste. Rancid oils contain free radicals which are bad for your health.

Last edited by goldengrain; 08-06-2011 at 09:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes