U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2011, 11:33 AM

77,820 posts, read 90,456,002 times

Advertisements

someone asked yesterday for my egg roll recipe so here it is. The secret (which I still haven't masterd) is to roll them as tight as possible. You can deep fry them or just semi deep fry by using just a little oil in a pan and watching them closely so they do not burn. I do an entire package of of them about 2 or 3 times a year. They freezed beautifully and can be re-heated in the toaster oven in about 10 minutes. They are not hard to make, just a little time consuming, that is why I do so many at once.
A couple of cups of shreded cabbage
1 small onion or 3 green onions (chopped fine)
1 shredded carrot
2 tbsp shreded fresh ginger
1 cup of diced pork or shrimp
2 tbsp soy sauce

Mix all ingredients together. Take one egg roll at a time out of the package
(be careful to not let the others hit the air, they can dry out very quickly) Place a couple of spoonfuls of mixture in middle of the roll. Follow the directions on the egg roll package. Roll tightly and seal with a mixture of water and raw eggs. You can use just water if you want.
When they are all assembled fry for just a few minutes. Cool on paper towels and freeze in packages of 2 to 4.

For dipping sause I combine a little of our favorite jelly or jam, Asain hot sause (be careful it is very hot) and balsonic vinegar. That is all there is to it.

Nita
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 02:49 PM

1,076 posts, read 4,029,764 times
Yum, love spring rolls.

Fiddly to make aren't they? Haven't tried making them, but salad rolls many times and had the same problem, trying to master rolling them tighter.

Now I put a lettuce leaf on the bottom and all the rest of the ingredients on top and then wrap the lettuce tightly and hold in place while wrapping the rice paper wrapper around that, voila!

How about instead of shredding the cabbage, try the same thing with a leaf of cabbage or partial leaf with the hard stem part cut out?

ok, now I'm hungry.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:24 AM

77,820 posts, read 90,456,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone-ground View Post
Yum, love spring rolls.

Fiddly to make aren't they? Haven't tried making them, but salad rolls many times and had the same problem, trying to master rolling them tighter.

Now I put a lettuce leaf on the bottom and all the rest of the ingredients on top and then wrap the lettuce tightly and hold in place while wrapping the rice paper wrapper around that, voila!

How about instead of shredding the cabbage, try the same thing with a leaf of cabbage or partial leaf with the hard stem part cut out?

ok, now I'm hungry.
that sounds yummy: I also love plain lettuce wraps, but again, it isn't easy to get the lettuce just right for rolling. PF Changs does a better job than I do, they also charge a lot more...

Old 07-08-2011, 01:51 PM

20,545 posts, read 27,531,068 times
LOL...that was me...and then I forgot I asked

Yum..I will have too try it soon. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or