U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 02:43 PM

5,599 posts, read 4,424,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
^^^^^Gospel!!!

I use 80/20 (ground chuck) and medium heat. I REFUSE to cook past medium rare. If my guests want them well done I politely (not really) tell them I cannot ruin a burger with a clear conscience.
Brown on the outside dripping with fat, pink on the inside. Maybe a little blood seeping out here and there.
If your family gives them a 1 or 2 rating they are spoiled because you have been feeding them too well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amKyA2PrSu4

I thought of this when I read your post.

I am Trying the burgers again tonite taking everyone's advice We will see how it goes Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 02:46 PM

5,599 posts, read 4,424,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Did you cook on propane as a kid? That could be the difference. I have a gas grill now because it is easier, but nothing beats a burger on a charcoal grill.
NO and that is a good point. We had only charcoal back then. Even in college we used only charcoal. Sometimes would add a chunk of mesquite wood into it, but propane was not well used at least / that I know of.

I got into propane after moving to Florida and having kids.
I do have a combo BBQ and often use charcoal, but the food critics of the house do not seem to care one way or the other.

Old 09-10-2019, 02:57 PM

1,865 posts, read 565,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
NO and that is a good point. We had only charcoal back then. Even in college we used only charcoal. Sometimes would add a chunk of mesquite wood into it, but propane was not well used at least / that I know of.

I got into propane after moving to Florida and having kids.
I do have a combo BBQ and often use charcoal, but the food critics of the house do not seem to care one way or the other.
If you've tried all sorts of different seasonings, and they like pink on the inside but not dark on the outside (which to me means a good sear and therefore good flavor), and you've tried high up and close down on your grill, plus a flat top griddle - I dunno...sounds like they just don't like your burgers.

Suppose you pulled some reverse psychology and just buy some of them pre-made frozen patties and give that a try? Maybe if they knew ahead a time that they're store bought and you didn't make them, maybe they'll give those a higher rating.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:01 PM

27,556 posts, read 17,861,031 times
You might try better quality ground beef. I don’t think good beef needs much more than salt and pepper.

An old fashioned way of making burgers was to mix in rolled oats. But too many oats and you’d have meatloaf!

I am intrigued by adding pork to the beef.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:18 PM

19,316 posts, read 58,631,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
If you've tried all sorts of different seasonings, and they like pink on the inside but not dark on the outside (which to me means a good sear and therefore good flavor), and you've tried high up and close down on your grill, plus a flat top griddle - I dunno...sounds like they just don't like your burgers.

Suppose you pulled some reverse psychology and just buy some of them pre-made frozen patties and give that a try? Maybe if they knew ahead a time that they're store bought and you didn't make them, maybe they'll give those a higher rating.
I like that idea. I also would get a kick out of presenting them (stone faced) with warm hockey pucks in a bun, just to let them know that they are being fussy eaters.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:32 AM

1,865 posts, read 565,331 times
Why was there a merge of threads for what was a separate thread from @Largekingcat?

Sometimes CD does stuff that makes me confused and scratches my head.

This merge made NO sense.

Old 09-11-2019, 12:56 PM

1,054 posts, read 252,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
Why was there a merge of threads for what was a separate thread from @Largekingcat?

Sometimes CD does stuff that makes me confused and scratches my head.

This merge made NO sense.

I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes