U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 06:51 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,236,225 times

Advertisements

I always Brine my Thanksgiving turkey - and my brine recipes always call for water/salt/sugar as base.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 06:56 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,299 posts, read 12,763,011 times
Well then, that's 2 in addition to me, Maggie and House4kids.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:22 PM

12,476 posts, read 18,096,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
and there was no acid in the brine with the exception of a small amount of wine which was well-balanced, and itself only would have been slightly acidic.
1/2 cup of wine is enough to make the solution acidic as a result you created a marinade. More importantly, why was the wine added? What were you trying to achieve by it?

The point of my comments had nothing to do with the difficulty of the recipe, the recipe involves no technical difficulties whatsoever, instead my comments were focused on the complexity of the recipe, much of what you're doing achieves little or conflicts. Secondly, the recipe is random, you just put a bunch of things together and there is no real culinary logic behind any of it. For example, you suggest one could add any seasonings to it, yet the marinade you are using already has a strong flavor profile and as a result will conflict with a lot of things.

Anyhow, I'm not interested in the whole "list your recipe" thing, I'm interested in the culinary arts so clearly this isn't a place I should post. I apologize for the distraction.

Lastly, in terms of the sugar in the brine, sugar is something you can add to a brine that has no material effect on the brine. By default there should be no sugar, instead one should only use sugar if they want to add sweetness to the meat being brined. Adding a little sugar does nothing either way though...

Last edited by user_id; 07-10-2011 at 07:33 PM..

Old 07-10-2011, 09:24 PM

A little bit of sugar is used in meat and many other recipes, and yes it does improve the flavor.

As for the wine, I just glugged some in, I didn't measure a half cup. I don't think I did. And no, a small amount of wine in a gallon of brine will not tenderize meat.

I explained why I put in the wine - I wanted a little alcohol to help extract the flavors of the herbs, and generally speaking people think highly of a little taste of wine (or beer) in some recipes. I didn't notice any wine flavor in the cooked product though, and not much of any herb flavoring except for the clove of crushed garlic, though my sense of taste has recently declined for unknown reasons. The sage didn't come out at all, even though I put a lot in - I'm going to have to go out into the desert nearby and collect something fresher and more powerful.

So I think the brine could be a simple one of salt, sugar, and either a good soy sauce or some other natural flavor enhancer of choice.

In the end, the BBQ sauce overwhelmed the other flavors (I tried both with and without sauce), but did so in a good way. I've tried making my own BBQ sauce but nothing so far has tasted as good at Original Flavor Bullseye to me, with the one exception of a honey mustard sauce I whipped up once, but of course never wrote the recipe down. Honey mustard BBQ sauce is so good on chicken or pork, but of course in a completely different way!

Last edited by Beretta; 07-16-2011 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: DM for details

Old 07-16-2011, 12:24 PM

15,752 posts, read 28,813,880 times
Good article on brining: http://www.cooksillustrated.com/imag...ningbasics.pdf

Old 07-16-2011, 02:37 PM

Thanks, Beretta!

The article points out that if you are going to use high-temp grilling or roasting, the brine should have much less sugar in it, otherwise it will burn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or