U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2011, 01:19 PM

77,305 posts, read 90,018,721 times

Advertisements

Someone asked me yesterday for the recipe: here goes. It is so easy, but I actually got it too thick yesterday. It is certainly usable, but I would like it not quite so thick. I have been making it for years. I will give you the book recipe and then tell you how I adjust it:

6 tart appleseeled and cored
12 peacheseeled and pitted
4 ripe tomatoes: peeled
4 oranges; seeds removed
sugar

Chop apples, peaches and tomatoes
Put oranges through a food chopper
Measure pulp

Bring to full boil:reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes
For each cup of measured fruit use 3/4 cup of sugar
Add sugar to fruit and continue simmering for 45 min or until the jam thickens.
Stir frequently

Remove from heat, skim and ladle into clear jars. Wipe jars clean. Seal and place in boiling bath for 5 minutes. Remove from canner and set aside for the winter.

Now: I say 7 instead of 4 fruit because I do not always use apples but I do use 1 quart of strawberries, 2 nectarines instead of 12 peaches (10 peaches) 1 lime, 1 lemon and 1 plum. I zest the peels of the oranges, lemon and lime. Just use the juice of the lemon and lime, not the pulp and I cut the oranges in small pieces discarding the skin. Then I use my big old hands to make sure everything is really mixed well. If I need to mash the fruit more, as it cooks I use the potato masher. While the jam is cooking I add 2 cinnamon sticks, removing them when the jam is ready to ladle into the jars.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 12:19 AM

983 posts, read 2,271,574 times
Sounds interesting. Didn't hear about adding tomatoes to jam before, but I am sure it's good. Might try it some day. Thanks for posting it.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes