U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 11:49 AM

236 posts, read 427,563 times

Advertisements

Greetings smokers! Although I am an avid griller, I know next to nothing regarding using a smoker. Just curious how difficult it is to learn to get great results that aren't just "meh". I have a pretty good gift card for Home Depot and was thinking for ease of use, to get a propane smoker with the liquid tray inside. I know propane isn't as good as traditional methods, but it's the best option for my situation.

Thing is, I don't want to get one only to have the results be so-so, so I was wondering if it's easy to master?

Thanks bbq masters!
Jon
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 11:56 AM

4,169 posts, read 9,933,784 times
Also consider an electric smoker. That's what we got and I have to say I love the results. I never did like the smoked meats we made on the charcoal grill. Too smoky and too dry. We bought a Brinkmann electric smoker after trying a smoked turkey breast my sister made with hers. It's got a water pan and it stays a constant temperature with the electric element. You add wood chunks at the beginning, which I like because you control the amount of smoke (I've done a second round on a brisket) and also because if you want, you can wrap the item in foil and finish it in a low oven if needed. I did a 9 lb whole turkey for a party a few weeks ago and got lots of compliments (and few leftovers!) but I did have to cook it a good long while at 225 degrees - about an hour per pound. That's the only downside.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:15 PM

77,168 posts, read 89,928,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Also consider an electric smoker. That's what we got and I have to say I love the results. I never did like the smoked meats we made on the charcoal grill. Too smoky and too dry. We bought a Brinkmann electric smoker after trying a smoked turkey breast my sister made with hers. It's got a water pan and it stays a constant temperature with the electric element. You add wood chunks at the beginning, which I like because you control the amount of smoke (I've done a second round on a brisket) and also because if you want, you can wrap the item in foil and finish it in a low oven if needed. I did a 9 lb whole turkey for a party a few weeks ago and got lots of compliments (and few leftovers!) but I did have to cook it a good long while at 225 degrees - about an hour per pound. That's the only downside.
where did you get your electric smoker? We recently got an electric grill and love it. The only problem, things don't always get the brown criss cross marks but other than that we are very happy. Hubby had a charcoal smoker years ago (when we lived in tX) he loved it, but since has decided he doesn't really like grilling much period. That was until we got our electric grill. I know he would love an electric smoker.

Nita

Old 07-19-2011, 01:09 PM

236 posts, read 427,563 times
Hmmm, nice tip on the electric smoker, never knew that was an option. See, you can tell how green I am at this! The main reason I suggested propane for myself is that it's low maintenance and I can swap out the propane tank I already have. Electric might be an easy option, I will look into it and report back!
Thanks!
Jon

Old 07-19-2011, 01:50 PM

4,196 posts, read 5,563,959 times
We have a resident smoker...

HW can help you.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:40 PM

4,169 posts, read 9,933,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
where did you get your electric smoker? We recently got an electric grill and love it. The only problem, things don't always get the brown criss cross marks but other than that we are very happy. Hubby had a charcoal smoker years ago (when we lived in tX) he loved it, but since has decided he doesn't really like grilling much period. That was until we got our electric grill. I know he would love an electric smoker.

Nita
I got it at Lowes. It looks just like the Brinkmann charcoal water smokers, but it has an electric element and lava rocks.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:10 PM

77,168 posts, read 89,928,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I got it at Lowes. It looks just like the Brinkmann charcoal water smokers, but it has an electric element and lava rocks.
thanks so much. We are having a huge garage sale over labor day. Our granddaughter is adopting a baby and costs to adopt are outragious: one thing that was suggested was a sale. I think we will sell our charcoal bar-be and replace it with an electric smoker.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:59 PM

15,748 posts, read 28,790,624 times
I was fortunate to marry a Texan that loves his barbecue. We have the small Cookshack electric smoker and it is the bomb! (we were able to buy it wholesale, thank goodness) Cookshack Smoker Ovens for Home Use (http://store.cookshack.com/c-63-smokers.aspx - broken link)

Old 07-19-2011, 08:15 PM

114,743 posts, read 57,155,811 times
Those look great Beretta! I took a pic of this cheapie propane model while chasing Gdaughter around Wally's lawn and garden area..

Old 07-20-2011, 07:57 AM

859 posts, read 1,961,783 times
We had a Brinkman as well, always worked nice, I just threw out our old model and buying a new one for Hubbys Birthday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or