Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2011, 05:00 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times

Advertisements

I make every crabcake recipe in the paper, or magazines, but I do not ever feel that I have nailed it.
I only feel as if I have wasted $15. on crabmeat, and they still aren't very good. Maybe I just do not like crabcakes?
Each ingredient is one I like...mayo, crab, ritz crackers, onion, parsley, salt and pepper, and various other embelishments. I fry them until nice and brown and yummy looking, but alas they seem so tasteless to me. I just don't get it.

Does anyone have a recipe that has some punch? I know I could add something like jalapenos, etc. but then, do I really need the $15. worth of crab, because you couldn't taste it anyway?

The last time I made them, it was with a lime sauce. Everyone really liked them, but it was because of the lime sauce...Again, was the expensive crab really necessary? Maybe I'll just use $5. worth of fake crab from now on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 07:04 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,289,721 times
The one I use is from Dom DeLuise's book. (I think it's called Eat This, It Will Make You Feel Better)
I can't remember if it's his exact measurements or not. I lent the book out & never got it back.
But the recipe never has been disappointing.

My addition most certainly is: when I can't buy fresh crab, I do resort to the lump crab in a can, and it still works great. I do make my patties small-not like the recipe says serves 4-6, as I use them for appetizers.

Preheat oven 350*
2 LBs. fresh lump Crabmeat
1 TBSP. olive oil (& cooking spray)
1 TBSP. grated Parmesan cheese
1 TBSP. minced chives
1 TBSP. dry italian seasoning
2 TBSP. finely chopped (italian) parsley
1 tsp. baking powder
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. Worchestershire sauce
1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
1tsp. dried thyme
salt & black pepper to taste (careful with the salt though)
lemon wedges for garnish

Brush a baking dish with oil (or cooking sheet)
In a large bowl combine all ingredients, except oil & lemon wedges & crab.
Mix lightly. When everything is combined,gently stir in crab just until incorporated.

Shape patties; DO NOT PACK TIGHTLY.

Place on baking sheet/dish. Lighty spray top of patties with oil spray.

Bake @ 350* for 10 minutes, turn, let bake another 10 minutes until golden brown.
(depending on how thick you pack your patties of course)

Serve with lemon wedges.

Serves 4-6

ENJOY!

Martha Stewart has an excellent recipe I saw on 05/23/08, which includes the mayo and crackers I saw in yours, and mustard, Old Bay Seasoning. Search that one too. It's also tasty, but my italian roots prefer the first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes