U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2011, 11:11 AM

77,229 posts, read 89,967,802 times

Advertisements

Just talked to my daughter in Florida and she was telling me about a recipe her husband brought home from Texas last weekend: I have googled and you can find similar recipes on the net.

cherry or grape tomatoes
vodka
lemon juice
sherry wine (optional)
flavored salts

using a tooth pick punch holes in the tomatoes. Place the tomatoes in a bowl with the vodka, lemon juice and sherry. Let soak for a couple of hours (no more)

in small bowls place various flavors of salt (celery, cayene pepper, garlic or whatever) Dip tomatoes in salt and you have your bloody Mary. This is great with a large group of people, they can choose which salts they want. Actually her husband had this at a family birthday party. (no, not a kids party)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 11:21 AM

25,627 posts, read 32,273,434 times

Seriously I am going to make some right NOW...............................

Except I am going to use Beefeater Gin and no wine. The juniper berry essence and tomatoes sound like a marriage made in cocktail heaven.

These will go great with the Martini's I am planning before dinner.

Thanks!!

woof woof

Old 07-24-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post

Seriously I am going to make some right NOW...............................

Except I am going to use Beefeater Gin and no wine. The juniper berry essence and tomatoes sound like a marriage made in cocktail heaven.

These will go great with the Martini's I am planning before dinner.

Thanks!!

woof woof
good for you: as soon as I posted I went out and did the same. I made about 4 for each of us; later this PM we will see how it works.

Nita

Old 07-24-2011, 05:20 PM

15,748 posts, read 28,796,848 times
Report back and tell us how they were if you are able.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:24 PM

15,849 posts, read 31,743,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Just talked to my daughter in Florida and she was telling me about a recipe her husband brought home from Texas last weekend: I have googled and you can find similar recipes on the net.

cherry or grape tomatoes
vodka
lemon juice
sherry wine (optional)
flavored salts

using a tooth pick punch holes in the tomatoes. Place the tomatoes in a bowl with the vodka, lemon juice and sherry. Let soak for a couple of hours (no more)

in small bowls place various flavors of salt (celery, cayene pepper, garlic or whatever) Dip tomatoes in salt and you have your bloody Mary. This is great with a large group of people, they can choose which salts they want. Actually her husband had this at a family birthday party. (no, not a kids party)
I'd be tempted to get out the hypo and injecting the stuff INTO the tomatoes, because I doubt that they are going to "absorb" enough to make a difference. I think I'd also put in some Worcestershire sauce and even some tabasco to zip them up a little.

It sounds pretty dang good, I must say, and I am no tomato fan.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-24-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I'd be tempted to get out the hypo and injecting the stuff INTO the tomatoes, because I doubt that they are going to "absorb" enough to make a difference. I think I'd also put in some Worcestershire sauce and even some tabasco to zip them up a little.

It sounds pretty dang good, I must say, and I am no tomato fan.

20yrsinBranson
just talked to another daugther in Oregon (I have kids all over the place) she said one of her favorite bars has them and they are really strong, but they have to be soaked for a long time. I soaked our about 2 hours: the tomatoes were great, but no vodka infursion at all.

nita

Old 08-25-2011, 01:32 PM

5,088 posts, read 15,124,037 times
I guess then you chase your grape tomatoes with the leftover unabsorbed vodka.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes